VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30840 of 52700, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice haul; your 80's video accelerator looks like a SPEA Graphiti HiLite 1024 TIGA add-on accelerator - wish I could find one like that.

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/news/item … iti-hilite-1024

Reply 30842 of 52700, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow Deksor, that is a bunch of stuff for very little $ !!!

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 30843 of 52700, by piatd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:
I've found a great lot on a local ad : Including this one :D (80's video accelerator :o ) http://i.imgur.com/4K4gkdBl.jpg […]
Show full quote

I've found a great lot on a local ad :
Including this one 😁 (80's video accelerator 😮 )
4K4gkdBl.jpg

Care to measure the length of that thing?

Reply 30844 of 52700, by LuckyPiquel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pan069 wrote:

Recently won an Ebay auction on a Creative CD-ROM Upgrade Kit, brand new and sealed in-box. This will go well with my new(ish) 386 build.

Pic of installed drive: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Wow nice one. I love the look of these old creative drives, there is sth special about them. In your case the "quad speed" and "mpc2" makes the drive to look even cooler. Great addition to your 386!

Reply 30845 of 52700, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote:

For $25.00 and a bit of a drive, I got: an HP Pavilion 7050 https://books.google.com/books?id=yurvRCerf_U … %207050&f=false
A Compaq suitcase computer, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YO-BCqPqs4
An early 2000s ATX case, a mid 2000s ATX case with a working Socket 939 motherboard 4 gigs of DDR and a so far unknown CPU, a box full of DDR & DDR2 DIMMS, a Soundblaster 16 ISA card (CT2840), a Gigabyte EP43-DS3L with a Q8200 and 6 gigs of DDR2, a Zotac GTS250 with a gig of RAM, and a Matrox 844-00 PCI video card.

The Matrox G200 works in Windows just fine. The Socket 939 MATX board was an HP one; a couple of months ago, I posted about finding an AT computer in a dumpster, but I also found an HP Pavilion a1340n. It was an AM2 board, but it would only power on with no post no matter what I tried. It turned out that the board in mid 2000s case was from the earlier version of the same HP computer, and it fit right in, proprietary connectors and all. It has a 3800+ 939 CPU. The end result is a well working computer, though I don't know what I'll do with it.

The Soundblaster works fine.

The Gigabyte board was tricky, as I couldn't get it to post, or if it did, I couldn't get into the CMOS settings no matter how many times I hit the key, and it would cycle again. I thought it had been in use as it was configured, but I realized that they had just stuck four random memory sticks in the slots, and it turned out the board wouldn't POST with PC4200 memory. I found a one gig stick of PC5300, and it worked! I carefully went through and found four sticks of PC5300 to get it to four gigs total. Not too long before the fire I found a dumped AM2 system that turned out to work fine, and I decided to run Windows XP on it just to be able to play Jane's WW-2 Fighters. I decided I'd do that again, and this board is just right for that. Last time, I bought an HD6750 from AliExpress to go with the AM2 board since Jane's doesn't work with modern Nvidia drivers, this time around I went with an R9 270 from them, and I'm looking forward to receiving it.

ZSFZpFQ.jpg

The GTS 250 works fine, and is going into a computer I'm going to give to my twelve year old cousin.

TMEYFDT.jpg

Thanks to the box full of memory, I was able to find two 512 sticks of Crucial PC133 for the SY-5EMA+ I bought. It reads them as 256 because of memory density issues, but that's fine since I only wanted 512 megs anyway. Now I just hope I can find a way to fix the CMOS issue I created by accident with that board.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 30846 of 52700, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

I've found a great lot on a local ad
For 50€ I'm pretty happy with my bought 😁

You lucky, lucky man. I never find anything that old locally - About as close as we get is the occasional Pentium III / 4 machine and on rare chances a Pentium MMX in a recycling yard.

Wherever did you find this? Was this some retired computer technician?

Reply 30847 of 52700, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WHAT THE BALLS IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

CameraZOOM-20191020185434407_sized.jpg
Filename
File size
282.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yep, the Wall of Crap strikes again. Am I being trolled here?? Like, do the employees at this place see me coming and sneak this stuff out to mess with my head?

Actually nah, given the lack of interest in this town, it's entirely possible this stuff could hang on the wall for two weeks before I show up to find it. Welp, either way, I'm not gonna complain.

Of course I grabbed the bag on the left for that sweet Cyrix gold (literally), and the one on the right for the 6x86-branded heat sink combo that was inside. I skipped the one in the middle which had a really low-rent Adaptec SCSI card and an 8-bit ISA "2MB" (1.44MB) floppy controller. I doubt I'll ever have a system that will need that.

CameraZOOM-20191020201459057_sized.jpg
Filename
File size
343.86 KiB
Views
File license
CameraZOOM-20191020201615352_sized.jpg
Filename
File size
386.86 KiB
Views
File license

^^ the final haul: a 6x86 PR150+ (what I mostly wanted), including HSF, a Pentium 75(?), a matched pair of 386DX/20 & 387/20 that were sandwiched in the middle and not visible from the outside of the bag, a really old looking 30-pin SIMM, and some parts from a "File Shuttle" parallel port transfer system. There were also a few odds and ends (outlet adapters, coaxial splitters, etc.) in one of the bags I already threw in my recycle box.

There were a few other things there (like a BIIIIG sack of IDE/Floppy cables) that probably came from the same source. I passed on the rest. Bizarre.

Looks like my 386-replacement, mostly-ISA Socket 7 build is on! I was on the fence about doing it, but given the 6x86 and the K5 I got last time, it'd be rude not to.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 30848 of 52700, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@piatd yes I can but not right now.

@FAMICOMASTER
Well these ad pop up very rarely, but when they do ... 😁

I don't really know what he made, it was his wife selling it, but that's a possibility as they had computing books as well. Or maybe it was just a hobbyist that asked the right companies for old computers in the right time ^^

Anyways, as appealing as it can look, I can't dive into it right now. I tested quickly as many things as I could yesterday (the two rll Seagate 277R were stuck so I had to move them a little to unstick the spindle motor. One is noisier than the other but they both seem to spin up fine now. I'll see if they still work later.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 30849 of 52700, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
WHAT THE BALLS IT HAPPENED AGAIN. […]
Show full quote

WHAT THE BALLS IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

Yep, the Wall of Crap strikes again. Am I being trolled here?? Like, do the employees at this place see me coming and sneak this stuff out to mess with my head?

Actually nah, given the lack of interest in this town, it's entirely possible this stuff could hang on the wall for two weeks before I show up to find it. Welp, either way, I'm not gonna complain.

Of course I grabbed the bag on the left for that sweet Cyrix gold (literally), and the one on the right for the 6x86-branded heat sink combo that was inside. I skipped the one in the middle which had a really low-rent Adaptec SCSI card and an 8-bit ISA "2MB" (1.44MB) floppy controller. I doubt I'll ever have a system that will need that.

^^ the final haul: a 6x86 PR150+ (what I mostly wanted), including HSF, a Pentium 75(?), a matched pair of 386DX/20 & 387/20 that were sandwiched in the middle and not visible from the outside of the bag, a really old looking 30-pin SIMM, and some parts from a "File Shuttle" parallel port transfer system. There were also a few odds and ends (outlet adapters, coaxial splitters, etc.) in one of the bags I already threw in my recycle box.

There were a few other things there (like a BIIIIG sack of IDE/Floppy cables) that probably came from the same source. I passed on the rest. Bizarre.

Looks like my 386-replacement, mostly-ISA Socket 7 build is on! I was on the fence about doing it, but given the 6x86 and the K5 I got last time, it'd be rude not to.

Yeah, is definitelly a Pentium 75, SX969 is it's s-spec in your sample, which fortunately doesn't suffer from the FDIV bug

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 30850 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to come by a bag like that at a store ^^

I've not really had much luck on ebay the last few weeks apart from the nice NOS desktop cases... there's always that one other bidder who seems to have too much money, even if I do pretty pricey bids, I guess the luck I've had in the beginning is over.

also not much going on locally anymore since I picked up most of the interesting stuff already ^^

I did pick up several CRTs though
the Sony F520 I posted earlier and some professional TVs/video monitors including a nice PVM-20M4 that a friend gave me cause he knows I'm into that kind of stuff.

Reply 30851 of 52700, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:
I've found a great lot on a local ad : […]
Show full quote

I've found a great lot on a local ad :

A bit of everything in that box ... IO cards, some NICs, sound cards, AT psus, etc:

The boards with the 486DX4 and the Ti486SLC are still ok 😁 (for other boards I'll have to find their bios because for some of them it's been removed. Some boards are missing some more components ^^ and all will need a good cleaning !!)

For 50€ I'm pretty happy with my bought 😁

Wow excellent deal and very nice items! Are you going to take a look if the drivers on the floppies are already availabale?

Reply 30852 of 52700, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I may try that, but some floppys (including the one on the top of the pile) are bent, and they're all quite nasty. I'm not sure they do work ... Maybe I should store them underneath something heavy to bring them back into shape and then clean them.

Even if the drivers are already available, I doubt they're imaged properly, so that would still be interesting (at least for me 🤣). But that's only if the disks are still readable miraculously (which did happen to me once with another random disk !).

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 30854 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

I may try that, but some floppys (including the one on the top of the pile) are bent, and they're all quite nasty. I'm not sure they do work ... Maybe I should store them underneath something heavy to bring them back into shape and then clean them.

Even if the drivers are already available, I doubt they're imaged properly, so that would still be interesting (at least for me 🤣). But that's only if the disks are still readable miraculously (which did happen to me once with another random disk !).

Yeah, I once got lucky with bent/warped 5¼" floppies which I was able to image since just the jacket was damaged, but not the magnetic disk itself. I still had to do a shake of the disk here and there throughout the imaging process with WinImage, but I eventually got all the data off sucessfully.

Reply 30855 of 52700, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a 16 MB RAM upgrade card and a Cisco Aironet AIR-LMC352 PCMCIA card for the NEC Versa V 40EC laptop. Can't wait for that stuff to arrive.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 30856 of 52700, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zero_sugar wrote:
IMG_20191018_125609.jpg
gf1.jpg

Pretty happy to find these today. Geforce256 work as far as I can tell. The Quadro4, on the other hand, does not post. Both of the top caps show damage. Not bad for digging them out of a bin.

Perhaps your Quadro4 has a MacIntosh BIOS, so it won't post...
However, it is possible to flash it with a PC BIOS.

Reply 30857 of 52700, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Compaq Evo D300 for cheap locally. The case is in great shape... but the mobo needs new caps and needs a hard drive. Using a spare 30GB drive for now.

a24yI98m.jpg

Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz processor
512MB PC133 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 AGP video card
3.5" floppy drive
48X CD-ROM drive
30GB IDE hard drive (will be upgraded)
Windows 98SE
Onboard audio
Onboard network
PS/2 ports
2xSerial ports