VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31020 of 52723, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if anyone still broadcasts the text-over-radio service these were meant to receive anymore? Seems like the sort of thing that could have been left on at a transmitter site years ago and forgotten about - still broadcasting the page from when it was last updated 20 years ago.

As unlikely as that seems things are often left on in a broadcast environment until they break - There were a couple of stations here still broadcasting an abandoned AM stereo format (for which you can no longer buy a compatible recevier) - A compatible receiver decode it and the ads and news would be stereo (probably because the same feed was used for their FM station), but their actual talk programming was mono. When the transmitter site was eventually updated the stereo encoder was removed. Before analog TV was switched off you could still find long dead teletext pages that hadn't been updated for years if you manually entered the page numbers.

Reply 31021 of 52723, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.ido wrote:

I wonder if anyone still broadcasts the text-over-radio service these were meant to receive anymore? Seems like the sort of thing that could have been left on at a transmitter site years ago and forgotten about - still broadcasting the page from when it was last updated 20 years ago.

In my area, which is Moscow, there are still radio stations that broadcast text. It's mostly news-related stations, and the text is stock exchange quotes, weather and so on. Yet I'm not sure my card can decode this text. Maybe in Windows. Have to try it later on.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 31022 of 52723, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote:

I've received my Panasonic PCMCIA FM radio today. Model number CF-JVR101. It's a 16-bit card, so works on old computers.
And the collest thing is that it turned out that it has drivers for DOS! SS and CS are required to work properly.There are also drivers for W3.1 and W95.
The interface of the software is messed up as it's in japaneese, but works fine. It can output sound via built in speaker. Another cool feature is that the program works as TSR, i.e. one can exit to DOS and keep listening to the radio. The card comes with active antenna. Here are some pics.

I have had that card for a few years but it came without the active antenna.
It works fine in the HP 200LX Palmtop with the following DOS utility, which should also work on any laptop as long as its driver is loaded:

Filename
jvr.zip
File size
10.01 KiB
Downloads
63 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I also have the TV/Video capture card Panasonic made at the time, the CF-JTV101.

Last edited by lolo799 on 2019-11-05, 11:10. Edited 1 time in total.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 31023 of 52723, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:

I also have the TV/Video capture card Panasonic made at the time, the CF-JTV101.

I've seen that TV card for sale for very cheap, but did not buy it. Mostly because there is no analog TV anymore.
Does it also work in DOS?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 31024 of 52723, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote:
lolo799 wrote:

I've seen that TV card for sale for very cheap, but did not buy it. Mostly because there is no analog TV anymore.
Does it also work in DOS?

No it needs Windows 3.1 atleast.
Yes it can only be used with a video source or some old hardware plugged in the antenna connector, it can still be of use.

What I find interesting about the FM card is that it is just a serial port as seen by the computer, nothing else.
Its FM range is quite small though, compared to what we have in France, so it's not that great of use here...

Last edited by lolo799 on 2019-11-05, 11:23. Edited 1 time in total.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 31025 of 52723, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Creative Labs Graphics Blaster MA202 (Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446-HC-A, 2MByte, PCI)

First owner replaced an old Trident 8900 ISA card with this one presumably around 1996. While the PC is long gone the box miraculously survived and got in my hands. Thinking about getting the correct card for the box but not yet decided.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
469.17 KiB
Views
File license
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
468.5 KiB
Views
File license
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
478.88 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 31028 of 52723, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
20191106_081807[1].jpg
Filename
20191106_081807[1].jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license

Got a Paradise vga/ega card as a backup incase the ega card or the ega monotor goes faulty.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 31029 of 52723, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting to see a video card with both VGA and EGA on there. I wonder if it's possible to run the card with two monitors at once or just one or the other, depending upon the game and/or software.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31030 of 52723, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was vacationing, and when I returned the following was waiting for me:

- A few EEPROMS and SAA1099 chips (cheap from eBay, so might be fakes)
- An Asus P3B-F (one of my favourite motherboards. Boring but always good)
- Some PCB's from Texelec (Lo-tech 8-bit IDE Adapter, Lo-tech ISA XT CF Adapter, Lo-tech EMS 2MB)
- A very Chinese EPROM UV eraser

I still need to source parts to build the Lo-tech cards.

Big Moon:

ypHdenOl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 31031 of 52723, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got AT standoffs from aliexpress! 50pc for ~2.40$.
Model is G231-06, you can search by that.

I was really worried that i'm not going to get those standoffs from anywhere and now i have 50 of them! Amazing!
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1bvXThm_I8KJjy0 … -Hole-4-0mm.jpg

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 31032 of 52723, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty good price for plastic standoffs. The old family computer had a lot of those and two screws to secure the board.

Reply 31033 of 52723, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally. Two identical SL4KL — a Pentium III 1000MHz for 100MHz FSB. I'm really happy about this:

OqdiJXTm.jpg

D8bWRo3m.jpg

Both work:

uTwWWgqm.jpg

All in all it cost me 50 bucks. Despite the fact that 10 extra bucks come from seller double charging me for shipment, seems like a very good deal — I have been looking for these CPUs for a very long time. I'm going to try to get a refund, but don't care too much.

I don't have a proper dual Slot 1 board at the moment, and it's not a big priority since 2xP III is not a configuration that makes a lot of sense in games. A proper board for me should have 440BX, an AGP slot and at least two ISA slots. Still I got a pair of CPUs because I think the board should be easier to find. In the meantime I'll enjoy the new CPU on my single slot Supermicro P6SBA board.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 31035 of 52723, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

- A very Chinese EPROM UV eraser

The switch to select 10/20/30/40/50/60-minute operation, and the sticker warning about using it for more than 15 minutes 😁

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 31036 of 52723, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote:

Got a Paradise vga/ega card as a backup incase the ega card or the ega monotor goes faulty.

Nice find ! 8bit EGA/VGA are getting rare to find.

Warlord wrote:

"pics of lots of stuff"

Wow, must be that time of year. I just got a box of mixed vid cards but only one Voodoo 1 and one Voodoo 2, two Matrox Mill 8mb pci and bunch misc ISA and standard PCI cards. In bottom of the box was a never unwrapped Sony 1.44mb floppy drive from 2006 (man.date) and a loose PC-133 DIMM. One of the ISA cards is a DIECO TVGA8800 512k EGA/VGA from 1989, all 13" long and works... took some work to find the switch settings for color VGA (still have to figure the jumpers). Pics of some of the vids, all were in static bags when I picked them up. Probably another month before I find anything else of value...

Attachments

• IMG_0588s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0588s.jpg
    File size
    1.55 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0582s.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0582s.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31037 of 52723, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

great find, some of the cards I got like the voodoo 2 and 1 of the voodoo 1s I knew had issues.

Voodoo 2 has major issues but I am going to try to repair it. The Diamond Voodoo 1 may just need a recap. I suspect the orcid voodoo 1 is fine. I paid very very little, which is a good thing.

other ones like the Matrox Power VR M3D I suspect work.

Some of them were tested and do work the geforoce TI4600 does work.

Reply 31038 of 52723, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/IOuLps7.jpg […]
Show full quote

IOuLps7.jpg

Socks worthy of a true warlord! ;D

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 31039 of 52723, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That case and dual floppy drive. My first VooDoo2 had an issue where it would get detected, but games and DirectX Diagnostics (dxdiag) wouldn't work and the display properties kept crashing when I would select V2 1000 from the list of tabs. Bought another one on eBay and no issues so far. Might get more for my Athlon 64 Windows 98SE setup.