VOGONS

First post, by pcdoodle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been playing around with our laser cutter to make cooling shrouds for vintage cards that didn't have them. What do you guys think? I've done the voodoo 2 and 3. I'm on the hunt for a single card voodoo2, anyone know where to pick one up?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 14, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ghost180sx wrote:

They don't need any active cooling solutions.

They absolutely do for longevity.

My V2 gets very hot on a Tualatin 1.4GHz, it wasn't made with that kind of speed in mind.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 3 of 14, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A while ago I looked at the TDPs for dozens of video cards for the sole purpose of determining at what point the bulk of the industry adds active cooling.
I focused on the main stream choices (what most do) because things like fans get added when they aren't needed to impress gullible consumers.
I was actually looking for wimpy low maintenance (no fan) cards to use in servers where video quality doesn't matter.

At about 15w heatsinks get larger and a few with fans start showing up.
By 25w its a little more fans than just big heatsinks. Maybe 75%/25% (I did not actually count.)
By 30w almost all have fans. Very few just heatsinks and the heatsinks for those are outright huge. (2 slot huge.)

Voodoo TDP's
V3-2000 = 10w
V3-3000 = 11w
V3-3500 = 12w
V4-4500 = 15w
V5-5000 = 30w

Only the V5-5500 actually needs active cooling. 30W is in the range of a P3 CPU.
The V4-4500 could go either way. Small fan or large heatsink.
The rest don't need active at all.
Just for looks I approve. - Really nice work.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 14, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When Voodoo 2 was released 2 of them died from overheating in my P200 MMX. They always needed active cooling or a case with major airflow. Ultimately i put active cooling on my Voodoo 2 board after the 2nd one died, 3dfx was willing to keep sending me replacements but I didn't want the hassle.

Reply 6 of 14, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote:

When Voodoo 2 was released 2 of them died from overheating in my P200 MMX. They always needed active cooling or a case with major airflow. Ultimately i put active cooling on my Voodoo 2 board after the 2nd one died, 3dfx was willing to keep sending me replacements but I didn't want the hassle.

You are joking, right? There were probably more than one million people using Voodoo2 cards without any cooling, and without problems. Especially on P200MMX you should have no problem at all, a V2 on a P200MMX should be barely warm, unless you have some other problems in the system (like a bad power supply or motherboard).

Even on a PII system it's ok to run V2 without any cooling at all, I had a friend back in the days that had PII 333 overclocked at 500 MHz and with two V2s in SLI without cooling, he had no problems.

Of course that some cooling will help, but it's far from mandatory.

However, from my experience, cooling is needed as you start to approach 1 GHz CPU, especially on Athlon systems.

Reply 7 of 14, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ghost180sx wrote:

Other than for looks, why bother?

Because that looks amazing!

It'll last longer nonetheless.

Reply 9 of 14, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaverX wrote:
You are joking, right? There were probably more than one million people using Voodoo2 cards without any cooling, and without pro […]
Show full quote
Shagittarius wrote:

You are joking, right? There were probably more than one million people using Voodoo2 cards without any cooling, and without problems. Especially on P200MMX you should have no problem at all, a V2 on a P200MMX should be barely warm, unless you have some other problems in the system (like a bad power supply or motherboard).

Even on a PII system it's ok to run V2 without any cooling at all, I had a friend back in the days that had PII 333 overclocked at 500 MHz and with two V2s in SLI without cooling, he had no problems.

Of course that some cooling will help, but it's far from mandatory.

However, from my experience, cooling is needed as you start to approach 1 GHz CPU, especially on Athlon systems.

You've given an example of a friend who had no problem, I've given an example that personally occurred to me twice. I will never run a voodoo 2 on anything without some form of airflow over it. Remember P200MMX was back in the day when except for the PSU and the tiny fan on the cpu there were no fans in most cases as I remember.

Reply 12 of 14, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have tested both single and SLI for V2 on multiple systems ranging from P233MMX to PIII-800.
In the 233MMX system they get warm, but that's it.
In the PIII-800 system, they get considerably warmer, but not so much that I have the urge to add a fan directly ontop of them.

I have - though - added another chassis fan "in the vicinity" that blows outside air towards the general direction of the cards. But to be honest, this was only due to what I read about what could happen if something doesnt run smoothly (In which case decent airflow and passive heatsinks are enough for a V2 even on a Tually 1.4, and the other reason was simply for ease of mind).

Reply 13 of 14, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote:
ghost180sx wrote:

They absolutely do for longevity.

My V2 gets very hot on a Tualatin 1.4GHz, it wasn't made with that kind of speed in mind.

Umm I had a few voodoo 2's and none ran hot at all, warm at best. and faster CPUs made little difference to how hot they ran. I test all the way up to a early 775 system with a dual core.

Reply 14 of 14, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In some systems V2 can get very hot... even to a point they lock up during gaming due to overheating. It happened to me in Athlon XP system. Simple cooling fan solved the problem.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware