VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What options do I have when it comes to MPU-401 intelligent mode on 286?
I need it to play around with some early midi software (I own external midi devices - controllers and synths I want to use with that) and to play games on my MT-32. I know about SoftMPU but it requires virtual mode which is available on 386-up making it virtually useless for my purpose. True Roland devices are hardly available and have crazy prices, I know there are modern MPU-401 compatible interfaces (which one is the best?) or vintage compatible interfaces (again, hardly available). I guess I can use some sound cards with proper MPU-401 compatibility built in as well (which ones? I own PAS16, but I guess it doesn't have intelligent mode, right?).
So what's the easiest/cheapest way to make it running on 286?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 19, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These would be a good solution : www.amibay.com/showthread.php?109229-PC ... ble-header

I'm not sure what are the cheaper options, all of the intelligent mode things seem to be fairly costly.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 19, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, that's pretty expensive though. I bought MT-32 for similar price not too long ago (complete with original manual and so on)...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 3 of 19, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote:

These would be a good solution : www.amibay.com/showthread.php?109229-PC ... ble-header

I'm not sure what are the cheaper options, all of the intelligent mode things seem to be fairly costly.

that's pretty interesting

any chance that it is an open source design?

Reply 6 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MIDI-IN exists and is fully functioning on the DB9 port but like derSammler mentions is it not needed for playback/games so the cables come configured as OUT ones unless requested otherwise.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 19, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I occasionally see MusicQuest cards going cheap locally, usually from musicians not into retrocomputing who just see them as no longer useful old crap. Managed to nab two that I'm very happy with.

Reply 8 of 19, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:
HanJammer wrote:

Also the above interface is only midi out 🙁

MIDI Out is what you need, based on your original post. Or do you plan to connect a keyboard to that 286?

Well... I mentioned controllers (like keyboards, sequencers) - that implies midi-in is needed... 😀

But if it does have midi-in then it's something to think about.

dionb wrote:

I occasionally see MusicQuest cards going cheap locally, usually from musicians not into retrocomputing who just see them as no longer useful old crap. Managed to nab two that I'm very happy with.

I will add this keyword to my watch list then 😀 thanks.

Last edited by HanJammer on 2019-12-03, 16:55. Edited 1 time in total.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 10 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-11-02, 21:43:

Would be nice if such a MPU401 card had a OPL2/3 onboard but such cards do not exist.

Orpheus II does that, and more.

If a theoretical Orpheus III added an SB16 compatible chip, that card would basically cover the 90s and most of the 80s, in a single card.

Last edited by darry on 2022-11-02, 22:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would be nice if such a MPU401 card had a OPL2/3 onboard but such cards do not exist.

Not yet. Maybe the community will create something like this ?
It's more likely than a replica of the "woodgrain 386", hah. 😁

FaWr3O9agAADhlZ.jpg
Filename
FaWr3O9agAADhlZ.jpg
File size
129.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Source: https://hackaday.com/2022/11/01/dana-sibera-c … hat-dont-exist/

HanJammer wrote on 2019-12-03, 14:06:

I know about SoftMPU but it requires virtual mode which is available on 386-up making it virtually useless for my purpose.

In theory.. It's possible to give an 80286 system this ability by using external logic.
I remember that PC-MOS/386, an MS-DOS compatible multi-tasking OS, supported an external MMU
that could be installed between the 80286 and its mainboard.
With the MMU in place, the 80286 could support memory management and multitasking similar to an 80386.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-02, 22:26:
Not yet. Maybe the community will create something like this ? It's more likely than a replica of the "woodgrain 386", hah. 😁 […]
Show full quote

FaWr3O9agAADhlZ.jpg

I know about SoftMPU but it requires virtual mode which is available on 386-up making it virtually useless for my purpose.

In theory.. It's possible to give an 80286 system this ability by using external logic.
I remember that PC-MOS/386, an MS-DOS compatible multi-tasking OS, supported an external MMU
With the MMU in place, the 80286 could support memory management and multitasking similar to an 80386.

In addition to the soon to be released Orpheus II (which I meComputersin my previous post), the AWE64 Legacy has both a HardMPU and an OPL3 .

AFAICR, an external MMU for 286 CPUs did exist as a commercial products I think the manufacturer was "ALL Computer" and was named "ALL Chargecard". I am not 100% on the actual names. It was not compatible with 386 MMU functionality, again AFAICR.

Reply 13 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2022-11-02, 22:33:
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-02, 22:26:
Not yet. Maybe the community will create something like this ? It's more likely than a replica of the "woodgrain 386", hah. 😁 […]
Show full quote

FaWr3O9agAADhlZ.jpg

In addition to the soon to be released Orpheus II (which I meComputersin my previous post), the AWE64 Legacy has both a HardMPU and an OPL3 .

AFAICR, an external MMU for 286 CPUs did exist as a commercial products I think the manufacturer was "ALL Computer" and was named "ALL Chargecard". I am not 100% on the actual names.

You're right, it exists! 🙂👍

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgMIbo6QoM4

It was not compatible with 386 MMU functionality, again AFAICR.

Well, it surely wasn't instruction compatible.
Otherwise it would have had interfered with the 286's own 286 MMU, which the 386 MMU is based upon.

However, it had a driver diskette with a LIM 4 compatible EMS driver, at least.
So DOS compatibility was provided.

And if it was related to the card mentioned in PC-MOS documentation,
it might have been able to do more than just providing Expanded Memory.

If would have had the ability to trap interrupts and memory writes/reads.
Which would allow us to add support for it into SoftMPU.

That would be impressive. If only we had access to the information about the MMU chip!
An FPGA could be used to mimic its behavior.
Let's think about it, this would breath new life into the 286 platform!
There are so many new Open Source projects!
PC-MOS/386 has its source code at Github, PC GEOS became FreeGEOS, there's OpenGEM..

Such a little interposer card could bring homebrewing to a new level!
Sute, someone could also claim that a 386 upgrade board could do the same.
But then we're dealing with V86 again, and all it's compatibility issues.

That ALL Chargecard board's MMU could maybe co-exist with a 386SX chip, even.
If that's the case, it could brighten up the days for 386 owners, too!
Imagine, an external MMU for 80386/80486 motherboards.
That would be awesome. QEMM like memory managers that don't need V86. Yahoooo! 😁

Edit: Or let me pput it this way:
If that MMU is able to listen/write to any memory address, it could talk/listen. to the 80286!
The 80286 writes data into a "void" were no physical hardware existes, but the MMU is listening to. Or vice-versa.
Things like a virtual COM port driver will become possible then.

A game writes MPU-401 data to port 330h, where the ALL Chargecard MMU is listening.
The MMU then will transfer the data to SoftMPU, which processes the data and sends it to port 300h, were the sound card with the dumb MPU-401 is located.
All this in Real-Mode! As if we're using a MIDIQuest card.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 14 of 19, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would be way too much of a card for 5170 or any 286...

AFAICR, an external MMU for 286 CPUs did exist as a commercial products I think the manufacturer was "ALL Computer" and was named "ALL Chargecard". I am not 100% on the actual names. It was not compatible with 386 MMU functionality, again AFAICR.

I do have accelerators and so on for XT or 286 machines, but again - for me it's not "real" 286 with such improvements (also it's just for 5170 or other machines with PGA package CPU or at least PLCC socket, my main 286 multimedia machine has soldered-on Harris CPU which would I have to replace with the PLCC socket... not really thing I would want to do)... Not to mention this thing is perhaps harder to find than Roland MPU-401 with the breakout box or at least some other MPU-401 card...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 15 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2022-11-03, 00:36:
That would be way too much of a card for 5170 or any 286... […]
Show full quote

That would be way too much of a card for 5170 or any 286...

I do have accelerators and so on for XT or 286 machines, but again - for me it's not "real" 286 with such improvements (also it's just for 5170 or other machines with PGA package CPU or at least PLCC socket, my main 286 multimedia machine has soldered-on Harris CPU which would I have to replace with the PLCC socket... not really thing I would want to do)... Not to mention this thing is perhaps harder to find than Roland MPU-401 with the breakout box or at least some other MPU-401 card...

Definitely overkill for a 286.

I wonder if something like a Pi Pico (or barring that a zero or a full Pi) could be used to implement an intelligent mode MPU-401 and possibly allow for installing an OPL3+DAC (with optional FM software emulation instead and maybe even SBPro/SB16/PAS16/etc) at lower cost than other current solutions for intelligent mode MPU-401

Polpo's work on PIGUS might be laying the groundwork for that : PicoGUS: ISA sound card emulator with Raspberry Pi Pico (Gravis Ultrasound, AdLib, MPU-401, Tandy, CMS)

Let me know if any of this makes sense, I'm no expert in this field .

Reply 16 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yikes, it depresses me a bit you guys are so conservative here. This road may lead to the grumpy old men avenue. 😉

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-03, 04:53:

Yikes, it depresses me a bit you guys are so conservative here. This road may lead to the grumpy old men avenue. 😉

Are you referring to me ? I am not against adding modern and/or overkill stuff to older machines. Did I give the impression that I was set in my retro ways ?

I do reserve the right to someday progress to grumpy-old-man-dom and yell at a cloud 😉

Reply 18 of 19, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-11-03, 02:42:

I wonder if something like a Pi Pico (or barring that a zero or a full Pi) could be used to implement an intelligent mode MPU-401 and possibly allow for installing an OPL3+DAC (with optional FM software emulation instead and maybe even SBPro/SB16/PAS16/etc) at lower cost than other current solutions for intelligent mode MPU-401

Polpo's work on PIGUS might be laying the groundwork for that : PicoGUS: ISA sound card emulator with Raspberry Pi Pico (Gravis Ultrasound, AdLib, MPU-401, Tandy, CMS)

It looks like hardmpu was just added 8 days ago to the readme https://github.com/polpo/picogus/commit/39123 … 2bc32d1ac0ff12b but I dont see it implemented in the code. Looking at the changelog DMA seems to be working now maybe? Both still in todo phase on https://github.com/polpo/picogus/wiki

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 19 of 19, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-11-03, 07:03:
darry wrote on 2022-11-03, 02:42:

It looks like hardmpu was just added 8 days ago to the readme https://github.com/polpo/picogus/commit/39123 … 2bc32d1ac0ff12b but I dont see it implemented in the code. Looking at the changelog DMA seems to be working now maybe? Both still in todo phase on https://github.com/polpo/picogus/wiki

Getting closer to the retro PC equivalent of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
😀