VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 31500 of 52700, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello and happy second advent

Recently I experience what most of us hope to find.. a rare piece of hardware in the wrong packaging.
I friend of mine messaged me knowing that I collect Hercules boxes and helped me win the auction, what I did notice was that its not the correct card to go with the box nor any of the other accessory included. But I knew that shape of the card all too well.

Seller photos:
78098794-2687509014647811-206210300528033792-n.jpg
78187656-962695714103349-4442361876289945600-n.jpg
My photos:
IMG-8740.jpg
IMG-8742.jpg

Also got a Voodoo 4 4500 box
IMG-8744.jpg

Have a nice day!

Reply 31502 of 52700, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM
DdRwYsc.jpg
+ matching VRAM upgrade module
AX8z5s9.jpg

A great addition to my P66 system.

Was advertised as non-working and got it for a peanut.

Reseated BIOS chip and bath in isopropanol brought it back to live.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 31503 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh, another one ^^ nice, I wonder why they switched to smaller memory chips on the later revision

also I curiously noticed looking at my picture again that the Spea card doesn't have a single through-hole component, even the VGA connector, ram expansion connector and all the pin headers/jumpers are surface mount.

Reply 31504 of 52700, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it is great for a late socket 5 😀 the image quality is better, than the matrox millennium.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 31506 of 52700, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

oh, another one ^^ nice, I wonder why they switched to smaller memory chips on the later revision

also I curiously noticed looking at my picture again that the Spea card doesn't have a single through-hole component, even the VGA connector, ram expansion connector and all the pin headers/jumpers are surface mount.

The chips on this one are IBM 256x16. They are EDO VRAM capable. So this card is a bit faster than the later version with Samsung 258x8bit FPM parts.

I own the Spea 968 too. It is a really nice card.

Also I suspect that Diamond cards in this era were mildly overclocked. That's why they performed slightly better than other cards with the same chips. They really shined in contemporary benchmark tests.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 31507 of 52700, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MAZter wrote:

Found it in local thrift store

<snip>

Sweet find. I have a PCMCIA 3Com 10/100 card that was in a 3Com Megahertz 10Base-T box. Cannot complain.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 31508 of 52700, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't posted here in a while, and I think my last haul is kind of awesome.

Long story short, I've come across some people who have been helping their friend to clean out his apartment. I've never been to his place, but according to his friend, the guy is an actual hoarder, and I don't mean a collector — I mean someone who has stuffed his two rooms with endless computers, TV sets, CRT monitors, printers, cell phones and so on. It got so bad that his friends and relatives tried everything to convince the guy to get rid of the stuff. It was kind of bizarre hearing the story.

That being said, here is the haul:

U3MN0esm.jpg

Media Vision Pro AudioSpectrum Plus. My first PAS, but AFAIK it's kind of a limited one? I've read different accounts on the functionality of this thing — some say it's only capable of playing 8bit digital sounds and 16-bit OPL3 (thus breaking compatibility with actual 8-bit PAS), other say it's a proper PAS16, just without recording capabilities.

ib26xz9m.jpg

Creative Sound Blaster PCI128. Basically a rebranded Ensoniq AudioPCI.

nvntZYym.jpg

ESS Audiodrive

TqjnRrum.jpg

Socketed 386 motherboard with 386DX33

j0FyGDkm.jpg

Very similar socketed 386 motherboard with 386DX40 and socketed oscillator

Jk36bgum.jpg

a cheap 386SX40 motherboard

MOurbj1m.jpg

late 286 board with Harris 20 MHz chip, DIP-style memory and.. cache? Do 286 boards even have L2 cache?

5rlE8zGm.jpg

PC Chips M912 v1.7 — the cache chips are soldered on, I guess they are fake ones? The CPU is Cyrix 486DX2

oUCUr6ym.jpg

an Acer LPX 486 motherboard with riser card and AMD 486DX2 CPU

IB2qydym.jpg

a Cirrus Logic 5428 VLB videocard

pGl3AoSm.jpg

a Promise IDE controller

grL1sSBm.jpg

DFI G586IPC — a 430HX motherboard with a Pentium 100 chip

icwQvEVm.jpg

Asus TX97-LE — a 430TX motherboard

Now, for the main part. First, a 486 box

DIBiY1fm.jpg

DEiZUHGm.jpg

z2FERQHm.jpg

jKQVPEHm.jpg

It's Intel branded, but the motherboard isn't made by Intel? It has a 486-JAL motherboard with built-in Cirrus Logic video, IDE controller and 3 ISA slots on a riser. Only takes 5V chips and comes with an Intel 486DX2. Really nice and compact machine.

pnBIFODm.jpg

DVvA4QPm.jpg

1Wr5bSLm.jpg

1KapxrZm.jpg

4ECJS8fm.jpg

A Mac Performa 200 aka Classic II. Really cool system, even if I keep it simply as a room decoration. Originally it produced vertical bars at boot, but after I've cleaned the whole motherboard with isopropyl and removed both SIMM30 sticks, the system works perfectly well. Guess, I'll have to find a different set of RAM as nothing I have works. Funnily the computer obviously came from Germany and was set to German interface and text input — don't know how it found its way to Russia.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2019-12-09, 06:19. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 31509 of 52700, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
late 286 board with Harris 20 MHz chip, DIP-style memory and.. cache? Do 286 boards even have L2 cache? […]
Show full quote

late 286 board with Harris 20 MHz chip, DIP-style memory and.. cache? Do 286 boards even have L2 cache?

MOurbj1m.jpg

No, GoldStar GM71C4256A-60 is DRAM 256Kx4
8 Chips = 8 MBit = 1 MByte.

Reply 31510 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Haven't posted here in a while, and I think my last haul is kind of awesome.

Long story short, I've come across some people who have been helping their friend to clean out his apartment. I've never been to his place, but according to his friend, the guy is an actual hoarder, and I don't mean a collector — I mean someone who has stuffed his two rooms with endless computers, TV sets, CRT monitors, printers, cell phones and so on. It got so bad that his friends and relatives tried everything to convince the guy to get rid of the stuff. It was kind of bizarre hearing the story.

That being said, the haul is truly awesome:

Good gracious almighty son. Congrats!

Reply 31511 of 52700, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice grab, enjoy it!

I got me a CT2770 (Nothing special, but I did not have one in my SB16 collection)

s-l400.jpg

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-12-09, 11:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 31513 of 52700, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

A Mac Performa 200 aka Classic II. Really cool system, even if I keep it simply as a room decoration. Originally it produced vertical bars at boot, but after I've cleaned the whole motherboard with isopropyl and removed both SIMM30 sticks, the system works perfectly well. Guess, I'll have to find a different set of RAM as nothing I have works. Funnily the computer obviously came from Germany and was set to German interface and text input — don't know how it found its way to Russia.

It needs a recap to work long term, cleaning the board only is a temporary fix. Also, pull the battery out before it leaks everywhere and ruins the board. My Classic II is still board-less because it was too far gone due to battery leakage.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 31514 of 52700, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote:

@jheronimus
Hope i don't break some rules here, but if you don't plan to keep the 386 mobos and the VLSI 286 one - render me interested ... 😀

I might get rid of some 386 boards with integrated CPUs, but I'm keeping all the socketed ones. I also plan to get rid of a bunch of 430TX AT boards like this Asus one (most of mine are TXP4, TX97 and the likes, actually). Hit me up if you're interested.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 31515 of 52700, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a Dell 2001FP close to home. It's from januari 2006, so no 15kHz support, but since I don't own anything Amiga (yet) I don't mind. Still much much better than I had before and in great shape. And it was 10 euro so could not leave it there 😀

i6lcCOUl.jpg

Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2019-12-09, 14:29. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 31516 of 52700, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
Now, for the main part. First, a 486 box […]
Show full quote

DIBiY1fm.jpg

Nice 'plain jane generic box' 😊

Reply 31517 of 52700, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

I mean someone who has stuffed his two rooms with endless computers, TV sets, CRT monitors

Any pictures of those? 😊

Reply 31518 of 52700, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:
jheronimus wrote:
Now, for the main part. First, a 486 box […]
Show full quote

DIBiY1fm.jpg

Nice 'plain jane generic box' 😊

Sucks that it doesn't have a turbo button.

On the bright side, seems like these motherboards are standard (for instance, the Acer board would likely work there). So maybe I'll be able to find a board with a Tseng videochip and 3V CPU support since I could never find a VLB Tseng locally — that would be great, as these boards tend to be really cheap.

That would make a perfect 486 — small yet fully featured. Then I'd find a small (14-15 inch) CRT to go with it.

Oh well. Just when I thought I'm not going to mess with 486 anymore... 🤣

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 31519 of 52700, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

I mean someone who has stuffed his two rooms with endless computers, TV sets, CRT monitors

Any pictures of those? 😊

Nah, they wouldn't let me there — they've just asked me what I wanted, packed hardware into boxes and met me at a different location.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog