VOGONS

First post, by diehlr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried using Speedset with Star Control 2 and it crashes with a popup window titled "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" that says:

VDMS Launchpad - star
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS: 0000 IP: 0022 OP:63 1d 54 08 63 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong to cause the problem?

The contents of star.bat are:
speedset -60 starcon2.exe /s:lpt1

Reply 2 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
diehlr wrote:
I tried using Speedset with Star Control 2 and it crashes with a popup window titled "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" that says: […]
Show full quote

I tried using Speedset with Star Control 2 and it crashes with a popup window titled "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem" that says:

VDMS Launchpad - star
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS: 0000 IP: 0022 OP:63 1d 54 08 63 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong to cause the problem?

The contents of star.bat are:
speedset -60 starcon2.exe /s:lpt1

Does SCII even start to load up before getting the error (i.e. is it SPEEDSET or SC2 who is generating the error?).

V.

Reply 3 of 9, by diehlr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AFAIK, SC2 doesn't start loading, so I think it is a problem related to Speedset. I don't see any text output before the window reports the error. I'll investigate it a little more tomorrow with some other programs to see how it fares..

Reply 6 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
diehlr wrote:

I'm not using a crack, I have a copy of the Starmap and just use that when I want to play. I still get an illegal instruction with Speedset.

Have you tried Speedset with other games (or even with command.com) yet?!

V.

Reply 8 of 9, by diehlr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I just tried it with Stunts and it worked, although -60 was INSANELY fast. So I tried -10 and it seems very fast, but not quite insane.

So, since that worked I tried -10 on Star Control 2 and that worked also (didn't crash anyway, it got to the copy protection screen) but not under VDMS. I haven't tried it with VDMS yet, but will later.

I also noticed if you use speedset twice in the same DOS prompt, bad things happen (Illegal instruction in 16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem).. not sure why. More info later.