VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 1005, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:

The PS/1000 is considered to be a very collectible item, especially in such condition. Seems to be a little on the expensive side but when there is a happy chap who has the money and wants to throw it out of the window, why the fuss?

It's really only worth ca. 20% of that price and then it would probably still take months to get rid of it. It's just a very nichy item, most people interested in classic pc hardware don't even know that it exists.

Reply 42 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just came across an ATI Mach64 ISA which sold for 900 US dollars. Is there something special about this particular card? It doesn't appear to come with the 2 MB upgrade module. I have one of these with the 2 MB upgrade module, but I cannot imagine it being worth anywhere close to $900. Am I out of touch?

Mach64_ISA_for_900_US_dollars.jpg
Filename
Mach64_ISA_for_900_US_dollars.jpg
File size
229.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 43 of 1005, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I were smart I'd be selling off all my retro PC hardware right now before the bottom falls out of the fake economy and retiring in SE Asia.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 44 of 1005, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol, i'm not smart though, and most of my crap is just old common as dirt crap.

You can find good value these days in finding faulty/untested hardware that needs testing/fixing, but you also have to be careful not to buy outright sodomised crap. Ebay is good in that if you buy something that is said to be working and complete, you have a good case for refunding items that arrive broken.

If someone is selling a Socket A motherboard with bloated capacitors cheaply, and they show photo's of it POSTing, then awesome, it is a pretty good candidate for recapping and that can be done pretty cheaply in comparison to the cost of what the market sells pristine items.

Also, local classifieds can be good. People throwing their broken untested crap out at cheap prices. There is higher risk, but that is balanced by cheaper prices. And you are much less likely to get hardware that has been previously molested to death and then sold are repairable.

Reply 45 of 1005, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not smart either. I invested 20 years hunting stuff down, and you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Agreed about faulty/untested stuff.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 47 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dirkmirk, probably best to delete that post until the item has sold. Once the thread begins to advertise open sales, it will no doubt become locked.
EDIT: Looks like its been sold now. Not sure how much it went for though.

Reply 48 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Creative 3D Blaster VLB sells for $5,000 USD

Creative_3D_Blaster_VLB_5K.jpg
Filename
Creative_3D_Blaster_VLB_5K.jpg
File size
266.38 KiB
Views
File license

DISCLAIMER
What I see happening on eBay is sellers listing ridiculously high prices, then buyers put in private offers, seller accepts, but when you view the completed auction, it shows the item as having been sold at the ridiculously high price, not the private offer price. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or eBay intentional, but it is very misleading. The same problem sometimes occurs if using the eBay Best Offer feature, it shows the original asking price as the sale price.

Last edited by feipoa on 2020-04-18, 02:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 50 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With some of these insane prices being realised on eBay, it makes me wonder if the buyer and seller are the same person. Perhaps use a secondary account to artificially raise prices. You loose out on eBay fees, but perhaps it is worth it later on if someone really buys it?

Reply 52 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is to track and comment on the market value of sold vintage computer items, particularly those of high interest or value.

Reply 54 of 1005, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I've heard of high priced items being used to launder money.

With the way things are going, soon people are going to use big cases of money to launder Vintage PC parts.

Totally agree about the VooDoo's. I've never understood why their price shot so high and stayed there for so long when they were only at the top for a short period in the late 90's. For me, the TNT2 was the card that dethroned 3Dfx, while I agree gaming in Glide was a miracle at the time of Screamer 2, TombRaider, GLQuake etc.

Also bewildered about soundcards selling so high. I was never an audiophile but still ... some of the Roland card prices seem insane to me. I'll make do with an Aureal based card and some speakers with thumpy base.

Out of interest, what are FX5900's and Ti4800's selling for these days? I mean what would be a "fair" price? I see wild fluctuations on eBay for both cards. I'm in the process of dropping 99% of my stuff over on AMIBAY, but pricing is the only thing holding me back. I'm caught in a trap! 😵

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 55 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another Creative 3D Blaster VLB sold on eBay. This one says it went for $1350 USD, so it doesn't appear as if the prices are rising on these. Starting bid was $1350 and there was just one bid, BIN was $2500. One sold for $1400 in April of 2018. I was a little surprised that there wasn't any bid war, but I guess that's what happens with such a high starting bid. Seller might have got more if he started the bidding at $1.

Another_Creative_3D_Blaster_VLB.jpg
Filename
Another_Creative_3D_Blaster_VLB.jpg
File size
369.63 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 56 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I added a note to a few of the postings.

What I see happening on eBay is sellers listing ridiculously high prices, then buyers put in private offers, seller accepts, but when you view the completed auction, it shows the item as having been sold at the ridiculously high price, not the private offer price. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or eBay intentional, but it is very misleading. The same problem [i]sometimes[/i] occurs if using the eBay Best Offer feature, it shows the original asking price as the sale price.

I think bid-style auctions still report the correct sale price.

Reply 57 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two Cyrix 5x86-133/4x chips sold this week on eBay. One was in pin-damaged Evergreen adapter and sold for $425 USD. It was buy-it-now and sold immediately. The other was in a complete boxed Evergreen 486 to 586 kit, which included the same adapter as in the other listing, but was in new or near new condition. It sold for $1266 USD. Photos attached. I originally predicted the boxed Evergreen unit would go for $1150, but later increased that to $1150 - $1650.

Quarantine has made the population online spendy. I've seen several items sell on eBay that would not normally sell. Feeling the population has gone a bit too buy crazy, I decided to dump everything I had into the stock market after it crashed. This completely squashed any temptation to buy obsolete computer parts online. With vintage computer items at a record high and the stock market at a low, it seemed like the right decision. Plus there's always the dividends.

There have been way too many shocking eBay sales in the past few months for me to post here, but I couldn't hold back on the Cyrixes.

Cyrix_5x86-133-4x_sold_425USD_BIN.png
Filename
Cyrix_5x86-133-4x_sold_425USD_BIN.png
File size
416.99 KiB
Views
File license
Evergreen_Cyrix_5x86-133-4x_sold_1266USD_Auction.png
Filename
Evergreen_Cyrix_5x86-133-4x_sold_1266USD_Auction.png
File size
489.54 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 58 of 1005, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hell I've got two 5x86 upgrades, one boxed.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 59 of 1005, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Caluser2000, it is the Cyrix 5x86 at 133 MHz that makes these special. An AMD 5x86-133 or Cyrix 5x86-120 would fetch an order of magnitude less.