VOGONS

First post, by conmac7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Morniing mates.
So I have a couple of projects running right now for making old retro PCs.

One of those is a retro gaming pc with dos.
The idea here is to gather parts for running DOS games, AND the most demanding DOS games.
Examples are Armored Fist 2 (PI120MHz, 16MB RAM), Battlespire (P233, 32MB RAM) etc.
The latest DOS games was produced 1997-1999.
So i will go for only retro stuff from that era. I saw some guys building an PIII for DOS gaming but this is not the case. It simply doesnt feel retro DOS.

I decide to go with a P200, 64MB RAM (Max DOS Support) DOS 6.22, SB512PCI (DOS Drivers Included) and now im stuck at GPU and i need some recomendations.

S3 was 2D, later some 3D was produced but isnt the fastest.
In the other hand there was voodoo and nvidia. I dont know if TNT2 had drivers for DOS, if anyone knows? So witch was the BEST DOS gpu at the time?

Reply 1 of 5, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

S3 Virge DX/GX plus Voodoo 1/2 depending on what resolutions you want to run at. If the Pentium is a MMX it should slow down nicely.

Reply 2 of 5, by conmac7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

P200MMX yes.
1024X768, but if some game support even higher ofcourse i will go with the highest availabe resolution

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. As per the pinned topic in this forum: "This forum is for running old Windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows" Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, you got the wrong forum. There is no such pinned topic in this forum, and this forum never was for running old Windows games.

😜 😈

Reply 5 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved to Marvin -> General Old Hardware.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto