VOGONS

Reply 20 of 38, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-20, 14:14:

Is this a 2.0 or 2.1? And is the 2.0 E-0036 ultimately OK with AGP cards?

I would assume so, it has the "2.0 E-0036" marking under the chipset... only one way to find out x3

Reply 21 of 38, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly I would have figured one of your Voodoo Banshee's would have been the perfect fit for this system.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 22 of 38, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BinaryDemon wrote on 2020-01-20, 14:32:

Honestly I would have figured one of your Voodoo Banshee's would have been the perfect fit for this system.

True but.. Why go with a Banshee when you can go SLI? 😁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 38, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote on 2020-01-20, 14:57:

How about a Voodoo 3 PCI?

I wouldn't be chasing an AGP SS7 board if I had one of those 😀 I have 4 AGP Voodoo 3s though.

Reply 25 of 38, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might be able to trade 3 of those AGP V3s for 1 PCI V3. 😀

I paired a V3 PCI with a GF2 MX in my VA-503+ (select via BIOS). Here's the profile.

K6-3+ Daily Driver Finally (Almost) Complete

Last edited by boxpressed on 2020-01-20, 15:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 38, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And is the 2.0 E-0036 ultimately OK with AGP cards?

Should be. Also the north bridge on your board is "CE" revision, which supposedly fixed some VIA issues with AGP cards. I think the FAQ is more about the north bridge problems. Emphasis on "How do I make the board work with the card X".

That basically puts a damper on any plans of a Rage 128 Pro, order cancelled.

That's Fury MAXX, not the normal Rage 128 Pro, which will work on everything, apparently.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 28 of 38, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This reminds me that there was a common hack for my early Gigabyte GA-6BXC (Intel 440BX Pentium II/III) board where people would bypass the AGP voltage regulator with a wire from the ATX pins in order to power newer GPUs.

I used to have this hack in place on mine, but removed it at some point for some reason. My Geforce 2 MX seems to be working fine so far, though.

Reply 29 of 38, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And the ATi card I bought is actually a 16MB Rage 128 GL that is 2x only apparently! Perfect.

Now I need to decide between these 1998 setups..

• TNT2 M64 + Voodoo 2 SLI
  • Rage 128 + Voodoo 2 SLI
  • Intel 740 + Voodoo 2 SLI
  • Trio 3D/2X + Voodoo 2 SLI
  • Voodoo 3 + Voodoo 1
  • Voodoo Banshee + Voodoo 1
Last edited by appiah4 on 2020-01-22, 08:00. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 30 of 38, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Riva TNT + Voodoo 2. Classic.

Reply 31 of 38, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-01-21, 06:59:

Riva TNT + Voodoo 2. Classic.

I don't have a TNT AGP, just a TNT PCI. Would a TNT2 M64 as a TNT substitute be safe on this board? Also, what does a TNT have that a Rage 128 does not? They are all 1998 cards and the 128 seems to be on par at 16-bit and significantly faster at 32-bit?

Anandtech Rage 128 Review

comparison_at_800x600.gif

comparison_at_1024x768.gif

From a performance perspective, the Rage 128 is almost on par with the performance of the nVidia Riva TNT. The real differences emerge when you make the shift into 32-bit color, where the Rage 128 describes an almost non-existent performance drop when making the jump from 16 to 32-bit color as shown by the Half-Life scores.

Review Link

Tomshardware Rage 128 Review

y3sBY4wf7tEG84gDbofXdP-650-80.gif

GtPZX6yKVUARGYmqPGcj6Q-650-80.gif 5PZXsbHUYpjHCCB8Vn9Tk9-650-80.gif

The picture is changing when running the D3D games in 32-bit color mode. TNT is experiencing a 40% performance hit and Rage 128 gets a penalty of less than 10%!

This means two things. Rage 128 will indeed let you play most games in 32-bit mode, but die-hard gamers will still not use it because there is some performance hit.

Review Link

Reply 32 of 38, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, what does a TNT have that a Rage 128 does not?

Better drivers, texture filtering.

Reply 33 of 38, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-01-21, 08:42:

Also, what does a TNT have that a Rage 128 does not?

Better drivers, texture filtering.

Maybe at the time, but current latest retro drivers for Rage 128 from ATI work fantastically well.

I also sourced back the Savage3D AGP I had given away to someone as a gift at some point, apparently. So now I also have the option of Savage3D + Voodoo 2 SLI, although the Savage3D is a 1999 card..

Reply 34 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I think of the Savage line, I think of graphics glitches in D3D/GL stuff and frequent hardlocks on certain motherboards, so best of luck with that.

Also if you're bleeding into 1999, go with the V3 anyway. V2SLI=V3=V2SLI is a lie. V3 doesn't thrash as hard, doesn't interlace, and has a greater variety of resolutions. also MVP3 boards and Voodoo3s are a frequent combination because it's least likely to have stability problems (for MVP3 not properly supporting AGP reasons than anything else, and there's also that 3dnow'd driver benefits)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 35 of 38, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two PCs similar to this (out of about 10).

Savage4+V2SLI (win98)
Virge GX2+Voodoo1 (DOS6)

The savage is not a fast card, but I put it in to play Unreal with HQ textures and Metal API. Once I am done with that game the card is coming out and being replaced with a MX440 most likely, or just a geforce2 GTS.

> V3 doesn't thrash as hard, doesn't interlace

Playing Quake1 with trademark interlaced lines on a V2SLI is the definitive 90s gaming experience if you ask me 😁

Reply 36 of 38, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When it comes down to things you shouldn't put something together that has a date code attached to some purity test. You should put something together that works and that is literally all that matters.

Reply 37 of 38, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2020-01-22, 06:44:

When it comes down to things you shouldn't put something together that has a date code attached to some purity test. You should put something together that works and that is literally all that matters.

When it comes to my signature builds I tend to try my best to stick with parts within a certain year range to play the games of that year range. For this computer, the target is 1996-1998 to play late DOS and early 3dfx games. Hence, I want to stick with a primary AGP that was released before the end of 1998, although I could relax that slightly into 1999 (the CPU of this build is a K6-2/500 released in early 1999 for example. I envisioned this as a Super Socket 7 PC built around late 97 to early 98 then upgraded in late 98 to early 99..) I also have builds with hardware from very weird time periods for very weird purposes (a Cyrix mII 300 DOS PC, a Duron 1300 Voodoo 3 PC, and possibly soon a Cx5x86 Voodoo 1 PC). This is a different build philosophy though 😀

Considering this approach (and the fact that the deal for the Riva 128ZX fell through), I have limited my choices to the following:

Early 1998:

Trio3D/2x (Great DOS) + Voodoo2 SLI (Great Glide)

S3-Trio3-D-2x.jpg Creative-3-D-Blaster-II-Voodoo-2.jpg Orchid-Righteous3-D-II-Voodoo-2.jpg

Intel 740 8MB (Great DOS/Win9x) + Voodoo2 SLI (Great Glide)

ASUS-AGP-V2740-TV-Intel-i740.jpg Creative-3-D-Blaster-II-Voodoo-2.jpg Orchid-Righteous3-D-II-Voodoo-2.jpg

Late 1998:

Savage3D 8MB (Great DOS + MeTaL) + Voodoo2 SLI (Great Glide)

Sparkle-SP391.jpg Creative-3-D-Blaster-II-Voodoo-2.jpg Orchid-Righteous3-D-II-Voodoo-2.jpg

Rage 128 16MB (Good 32-bit) + Voodoo2 SLI (Great Glide)

ATI-Rage-128-GL.jpg Creative-3-D-Blaster-II-Voodoo-2.jpg Orchid-Righteous3-D-II-Voodoo-2.jpg

Reply 38 of 38, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of people tend to throw a MVP3+a Mobile K6+and a Voodoo 3 altogether not because of period correct. They do it because it just works. It kinda sucks because it's a wheel that cannot really be reinvented, and there is other options but there are no better options on that platform. So thats why I am just blunt about it. I think the MvP3 chip set sucks personally, but there is not a better substitute for running a mobile K6, and besides that is the best cpu for the platform and its unlocked multipliers it can't hold a candle to Intel offerings. But wheen you put a voodoo 3 in that system it is like sprinkling gold dust on a turd and then it becomes amazing.