VOGONS

PowerBook G4 resurrect

Topic actions

First post, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I recently picked up a PowerBook G4 at a flea market for $4. I thought it was interesting to play around with a mac, because I've never done it before (I'm mostly familiar with Windows and x86 stuff). The laptop came without battery, power adapter, RAM and hard drive .
The problem is that I can't get it to POST (I hear 3 beeps and see the front light blink accordingly). I tried all my RAM sticks (PC2700) without any luck. I've heard that for these machines it's notoriously hard to upgrade the RAM.

I have to specify that I modded the power connector with a standard barrel jack, because it's almost impossible to find working Apple power adapters in my area. Even though I think I've done a very good job soldering it, I haven't added that 0.5M resistor thing because I wasn't sure about it (could that be at fault?).

Can anyone give me advice on how to troubleshoot this laptop ?

Reply 1 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure about the G4, but the G3 Powerbooks won't turn on if the PRAM battery is flat. You just need to disconnect it and it will power-on again. Could be the same with the G4.

Reply 2 of 2, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I took my G4 apart again and noticed that my PRAM battery does not exist (somebody snatched it before I got the laptop).