VOGONS

Reply 400 of 555, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I`m fine with Blasterboard, no issues so far except windows compatibility .
almost all software works so far.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 401 of 555, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote on 2020-01-29, 22:37:

I`m fine with Blasterboard, no issues so far except windows compatibility .
almost all software works so far.

Ah, I only have the SnarkBarker setup for Windows. Never imagined there would be problems with the BB?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 403 of 555, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote on 2020-01-29, 21:58:

I have my blasterboard assembled and working. It sounds great.

I was hoping LABS could make progress with getting it working with the windows SB 2.0 drivers, so it could permanently replace the SB 2.0 card in my 286.

I hope the same. Never really managed to get Windows 3.1 to use the SB 2.0 drivers - on a real SB 2.0!
Using the supplied Sound Blaster 1.5 drivers worked like a charm, though.
Even with SB Pro clones, emulated Sound Blasters and in Win 3.1 Standard Mode, too.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 404 of 555, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also could not install the SB2.0 windows drivers with 3.1 or 3.11 - using a real CT1350B as well
I just gave up , maybe the drivers are 3.0 only or something

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 405 of 555, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-01-30, 10:50:
I hope the same. Never really managed to get Windows 3.1 to use the SB 2.0 drivers - on a real SB 2.0! Using the supplied Sound […]
Show full quote
canthearu wrote on 2020-01-29, 21:58:

I have my blasterboard assembled and working. It sounds great.

I was hoping LABS could make progress with getting it working with the windows SB 2.0 drivers, so it could permanently replace the SB 2.0 card in my 286.

I hope the same. Never really managed to get Windows 3.1 to use the SB 2.0 drivers - on a real SB 2.0!
Using the supplied Sound Blaster 1.5 drivers worked like a charm, though.
Even with SB Pro clones, emulated Sound Blasters and in Win 3.1 Standard Mode, too.

The SB2.0 drivers work fine for me in windows 3.1 standard mode on a 286 with an original SB2.0

Reply 406 of 555, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi LABs,

Difficult to do proposal if we don't have at least the decoding logic schematics.

If can probably be possible to do SBPro emulation by removing your filtering algorythm in Stereo mode. It will then have the same quality as the SBPro at minimum.

What I am waiting for are the support for SB16 Command (Signed DMA output) but you already know this.
Then, the use of CPLD is compatible with the "Do It yourself" spirit. Somebody wanting to spend time to build board can buy a cheap CPLD programmer and you can send them already programmed.

It will simplify the board a lot and add the possibility to do Tandy 1000, Covox, Disney, CMS with the possibility to decode more @

Reply 407 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll try to do my best to solve SB 2.0 drivers issue for w3.x, but I'm surprised that some of you guys have a separate card for that instead of using a better sounding BB with SB 1.5 driver, which works just fine. Any practical reason/titles? I already tried to solve it, but failed so far and switched to more important updates. However, if there is such a demand, I should disassemble the driver and look under the hood..

appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-30, 08:30:

I hope to buy one soon, is there an updated batch to wait for?

Yes, new PCBs will arrive in about 10-12 days. They have a slightly different design now 😀

Blasterboard: DIY SB2-compatible sound card on ATmega MCU
Sonic Buster 8: New 8-bit ISA sound card

Reply 408 of 555, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. I know I haven't been super active on this forum lately, but all of these new projects have been catching my eye. This is super impressive! I would love to purchase a DIY kit, but I appear to be missing the forms where I fill out that information and pay for the kit. I apologize if it's in bold somewhere. May I please get some help being pointed in the right direction? Thank you!

Reply 409 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-30, 13:15:

If can probably be possible to do SBPro emulation by removing your filtering algorythm in Stereo mode. It will then have the same quality as the SBPro at minimum.
Then, the use of CPLD is compatible with the "Do It yourself" spirit. Somebody wanting to spend time to build board can buy a cheap CPLD programmer and you can send them already programmed.

SB Pro + any further hardware modifications is a story for another project.
However, as it turned out recently, even in our calm and friendly retro village CPLD became a must just as a copy protection feature. But again, for another project.

FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-30, 13:15:

What I am waiting for are the support for SB16 Command (Signed DMA output) but you already know this.

Is your BB already in a stable condition? I have the testing code for you.

Reply 410 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nathanieltolbert wrote on 2020-01-30, 16:34:

Hello. I know I haven't been super active on this forum lately, but all of these new projects have been catching my eye. This is super impressive! I would love to purchase a DIY kit, but I appear to be missing the forms where I fill out that information and pay for the kit. I apologize if it's in bold somewhere. May I please get some help being pointed in the right direction? Thank you!

Please check your PM.

Reply 411 of 555, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LABS wrote on 2020-01-30, 16:58:

Is your BB already in a stable condition? I have the testing code for you.

I don't know. I did not test it yet.
I can send you a modified version of my player so that you can test.

Reply 412 of 555, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LABS wrote on 2020-01-30, 16:31:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-30, 08:30:

I hope to buy one soon, is there an updated batch to wait for?

Yes, new PCBs will arrive in about 10-12 days. They have a slightly different design now 😀

Sign me up for one please I will be getting my annual bonus soon 😁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 413 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound comparison between Snark Barker (original SB replica) and BlasterBoard :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErTkQSvh_ls&feature=youtu.be

Thanks root42 for the video and Freddy V for native support of BlasterBoard in Mod Master player.

Reply 416 of 555, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll try to do my best to solve SB 2.0 drivers issue for w3.x, but I'm surprised that some of you guys have a separate card for that instead of using a better sounding BB with SB 1.5 driver, which works just fine. Any practical reason/titles? I already tried to solve it, but failed so far and switched to more important updates. However, if there is such a demand, I should disassemble the driver and look under the hood..

I found an old article recently that mentioned problems with the Sound Blaster 2.0 drivers. The article claimed that the standard drivers tended to have problems on any system faster than a low-end 486. Creative released a "fixed" version, which the article claimed didn't work much better; they still had to disable the on-board cache just to get it to install properly. Their proposed solution on faster systems was to use the older drivers for the 1.5. Hopefully that can give some hint about what is going on.

Reply 417 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote on 2020-02-17, 20:14:

I found an old article recently that mentioned problems with the Sound Blaster 2.0 drivers. The article claimed that the standard drivers tended to have problems on any system faster than a low-end 486. Creative released a "fixed" version, which the article claimed didn't work much better; they still had to disable the on-board cache just to get it to install properly. Their proposed solution on faster systems was to use the older drivers for the 1.5. Hopefully that can give some hint about what is going on.

Explains a lot, thx.

Reply 418 of 555, by Fagear

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've assembled my board, finally.
Didn't test it yet but I've shoot all the process for future video.

Attachments

New BIG soundcard: FMonster.
Covox Sound Master replica
Innovation SSI-2001 replica & DuoSID.
My audio/video collection.

Reply 419 of 555, by LABS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fagear wrote on 2020-02-18, 00:46:

I've assembled my board, finally.
Didn't test it yet but I've shoot all the process for future video.

Looking forward for it!