VOGONS

Runtime error 002 at 0004:2C46.

Topic actions

First post, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a big problem starting a game, you won't know it, bit it's from the firm "kellogs" and is called "tony and friends". I think the game excists only in Germany.
However, I downloaded DOSBox (the latest version) and read the readme before trying to start it. And it doesn't work. I have mounted the correct directory, but I cannot run the exe-file, everytime I try I get an error message: "runtime error 002 at 0004:2C46".
I hope someone can help me with this... Here's some information about my computer, if this should help...

* Processor type and speed: AMD Athlon, MMX, 3DNow, 1.9GHz
* 512MB RAM
*System: MS Windows XP Professional
*Graphic's card: RADEON 9600 Series
* Sound board: NVIDEA nForce Audio

Reply 1 of 43, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The error is generated by the game itself, not DOSBox. With the commonly used Borland compilers, Runtime error 002 signifies "file not found". It is quite probable that either you have not properly mounted the directory (or you are starting the game from outside it) or files are simply missing.

Reply 2 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for answering so fast...

The directory in Windows is c:\daten\kellogs1. In it there are the following files:

C (File)
DPMI16BI.OVL (OVL File)
KELLOGG.INI (Configuration Settings)
PCKELL.SET (SET File)
READ.ME (ME File)
RTM.EXE (Application)
SETUP (Shortcut to MS-Dos Program)
SETUP.EXE (Application)
START.EXE (Application)
START (Shortcut to MS-DOS Program)

I mounted the directory by typing "mount c C:\daten\kellogs1" and it was mounted correctly.
Then I typed in "C:" to switch to this directory and tried as well typing "start", as "start.exe" and it didn't work. I couldn't find a special command which means "run". Does there excist such one? Cause I think that I mounted properly and I know that the files excist, they are listed in Windows as well as in DOS.
I hope you can help me...

Reply 3 of 43, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried running setup instead? Also, instead of mounting the kellogs1 directory, try mounting its parent instead:

mount c c:\daten
c:
cd kellogs1
start

(Again, if it doesn't work, try setup before start).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 43, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hehe yeah i know this crapy game... ^^
i found it in my old archive today. after installing and setting sound correctly with setup.exe it starts but i can't get past the main menu.
it seems the game doesn't recognize any keyboard input...

anyway kippesoep was right, there is a file missing in your directory.
PCKELL.DAT and it's over 2 mb in size. try to reinstall the game or download it from the net.

Reply 5 of 43, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had it kinda working not too long ago, did not check lately. The game should be playable but with rather major visual glitch: the water starts at the top of the screen. As a result the entire screen looks very blue and you cannot tell where the real water is. I was able to hack it to work properly but that kind of hack can break a lot of other games. In short, the game is considered broken in DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I redownloaded the game, now I have all the files (I hope). I can run the game problemless, but I there is no sound and, as vasyl said, the whole screen is blue.
How can I set sound correctly? If I run SETUP the game will reinstall, so that I have all the files twice...
Maybe there are problems, because the programmers did wrong with PASCAL, at least someone told me this...
Can someone tell me how to get music and how to get rid of the blue screen? And can I run the game in full screen mode?

EDIT: The setup works correctly. The problems I had had were because that one file was missing. Now it works, I just have to try a bit with sound settings...

Reply 7 of 43, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Alt-enter for fullscreen. Depending on the cycles, the blue look might
vanish (though you don't have any water effect in the level then).
Either way, there's no correct fix for this game.

Reply 8 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't really know how to set sound correctly. How do I know which settings are the right ones for my PC?
The blue didn't vanish in full screen.

Vasyl, could you maybe send me your hacked version as an e-mail attachment? I have no other DOS-games, so there is nothing to be broken.

Reply 10 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried all the settings but there is no sound. There is only soundblaster to choose, then I can choose interrupt between irq=3, 5 or 7, port-adress between 220h and 240h and at last I can choose the DMA-chanal between 0, 1 and 3. I tried all combinations, it doesn't work. Do I have to set something in DOSBox before starting SETUP? Or is it possible that my changes are not saved (everytime I want to change the sound settings they are set on "no soundcard")?
Thanks for your help until now, I hope you can help me with this, too...

Reply 12 of 43, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Gwenhwyfar: I am a little busy lately so I can't get that patched binary right now. If you can wait until Friday, I should have some time then. Otherwise, if you can build DOSBox on your machine, here's the thread with relevant discussion: The game ist blue!

Reply 13 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot... I'd better keep my fingers away from any writing or programming because I have absolutely no clue of it... Otherwise I can redownload DOSBox, if there's anything wrong, so I'm still gonna read that thread and see what I can do... If I cannot do it myself, of course, I can wait until Friday!
Yes, I tried these settings, too... there was no sound hearable, just some strange cracking and noises, when the game starts... I cannot tell you whether it works in other games cause I have no other ones.

Reply 14 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot... I'd better keep my fingers away from any writing or programming because I have absolutely no clue of it... Otherwise I can redownload DOSBox, if there's anything wrong, so I'm still gonna read that thread and see what I can do... If I cannot do it myself, of course, I can wait until Friday!
Yes, I tried these settings, too... there was no sound hearable, just some strange cracking and rushing noises, when the game starts... I cannot tell you whether it works in other games cause I have no other ones.

EDIT: I do not understand anything in this thread, I just don't know too much about working with DOSBox and there is also the fact, that my English is not good enough to understand ALL of it, which, in this case, would be quite important. ^^ I'll have to wait until Friday then. 😁

EDIT2: Sorry for dobbleposting... I have some problems with my network connection, I'll pay attention to this when my internet works again...

Reply 17 of 43, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Gwenhwyfar wrote:

Thanks... But how do I do this?

Find the file named dosbox.conf (I guess it is in the directory where you installed DOSBox).

Edit it with Notepad.

Find the 1 line that selects the type of CPU emulation (I can't remember the exact setting name). It should have choices of normal, dynamic and basic(?). Edit it to 'normal'.

Same thing with the cycles settings.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 18 of 43, by Gwenhwyfar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I have found it... Core is already set on "normal". Cycles are on "3ooo". Should I lower them? How much?

I also found this... Could it have something to do with my missing sound?

[gus]

# gus -- Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.
# gusbase,irq1,irq2,dma1,dma2 -- The IO/IRQ/DMA addresses of the
# Gravis Ultrasound. (Same IRQ's and DMA's are OK.)
# gusrate -- Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.
# ultradir -- Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory
# there should be a MIDI directory that contains
# the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used
# with Timidity should work fine.

gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

Reply 19 of 43, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

No, as those are emulated sound cards. If you have sound in windows,
you should have sound in dosbox for the soundblaster(s) as well.

It works fine here with 220/7/1, core=normal (ie. default settings).
Make sure that the files in the kelloggs directory are writeable,
after using setup open the .ini file of the game and see if it is set
to SB/soundblaster.