VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kefka2200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I saw there was a DOS emulator, I was ecstatic, because I love old DOS games like Dune2, 7th Guest, and Doom etc..., but I downloaded .65 and I can't seem to understand the instructions PERIOD. I need like a complete walkthrough and I also need to know where I get the games...does anyone have any help for an extreme newbie to this program?

Reply 1 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming you're talking about DOSBox this topic should be in the DOSBox forum.

That said, have you used DOS before? If so it's not that different. All you have to do is mount your drives and away you go. "mount c c:\" this will mount your c: drive as c:\ in DOSBox. If you haven't used DOS before than you have a fair amount of catching up to do.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 2 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For starters, read the readme file included with DOSBox. Type INTRO at the DOSBox Z:\> prompt.

Also, check the GUIDES section in the forum.

Moving to DOSBox General...

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 13, by Kefka2200

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I grew up with DOS, but it has been a while. I guess it's the mounting I have trouble with, especially since I'm using mac...but I assume u all are. My main game is dune 2 that I want to play...I just dont know. I checked the readme and whatnot, i just am having trouble. Can someone give me a step by step? Like i dont have a c drive, so i mount my personal file location as C, right? I've gotten that far, but then I don't know what to do...any help?

Reply 5 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well after you mount it you have to actually type "C:" to get into the C: drive and then do your "cd dune2" thing etc.

Last edited by MusicallyInspired on 2006-06-07, 03:30. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github

Reply 8 of 13, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes 🤣. DOSBox doesn't come with games. Just the ability to play them.

My Github

Reply 9 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Angry customer to clerk in music store: "I bought this guitar here yesterday."
Clerk: "Yes, I remember your visit. A very fine guitar if I may say so."
Customer: "No, the guitar does not work. When I try to play a song, it sounds horrible!"
Clerk: "Let me try it, please".

The clerk takes the guitar and plays a nice version of Greensleves.

Clerk: "In my ears, this guitar has a very nice sound. Please, let me hear you play it."
Customer: "But ... but ... but ... I don't know how to play the guitar!"

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess it's the mounting I have trouble with, especially since I'm using mac...but I assume u all are.

You're kidding, right? Most of us are using Windows, and some use Linux. Only a few use Mac, which is why the documentation for it is a bit light.

Reply 12 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kefka2200 wrote:

I have the rerelease of DUNE 2 on cd...how do I mount that? It says I cant mount D drive, which is what it tells me to mount for cdroms

No, you mount your drive AS the D: drive.

mount d: INSERTREALDRIVELETTERHERE -t cdrom

Since I'm not a mac user I'm really not sure what your drive is. I think, if its like Linux, you need to use your device mount point. I'll leave someone else to answer because I've never even touched a mac to know what it uses.

Reply 13 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

In Mac OSX, all CD's (and harddisks and DVD's) appears in the filesystem under /Volumes. Your CD will appear as /Volumes/name-of-your-CD.

To check the name, open your Terminal application and type:

$ ls /Volumes

Once you know the CD-name, use this syntax to make the CD-ROM appear as drive D in DOSBox:

Z:\>mount D /Volumes/name-of-your-CD -t cdom

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions