VOGONS

Reply 15280 of 27422, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay. Thanks.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 15281 of 27422, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-13, 15:00:

50% water, 40% vinegar, and 10% rust converter. The rust converter was just to speed up the process and is not needed.

What kind of product is this rust converter? Could you name a brand or the chemical in it?

Reply 15286 of 27422, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-13, 07:00:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-12, 22:20:

But XP in VMware does not get more than 128mb video ram, rendering it practically useless for the games I wanted to play.

You can set the machine as Win 7 x86 but have Win XP installed on the virtual hdd, this way you'll get around the 128MB limitation.

For real? I'm gonna try it

EDIT: does not work. the installer crashes (BSOD) while starting the install.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 15287 of 27422, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swapped the CD-RW drive with an Apple 32x CD-ROM drive (Matshita CR-589-B) on my 486 build as the CD-RW drive doesn't work with 486 systems when connected to the secondary channel. Tested my theory with a CR-585-B CD-ROM drive that my Packard Bell has installed externally with the 486 build and that worked. I kept thinking that it was a bad IDE cable, but it wasn't and not only does the system run better than before, it's basically complete and 1 thing to do is wait for the 512KB L2 cache to arrive (stuck in another state), the 5x86-P75 to arrive (for my Packard Bell to test my 3.3V CPU support mod), and swap CPUs around as the Kingston TC-5x86/133 is between the DX4-100 and Pentium 75 speed using NSSI to do benchmarks. Probably because it's WT cache or the slower version of the 5x86-P75, which is a possibility, but I digress.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 15288 of 27422, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasted almost 3 hours trying to get my router-of-doom to work with my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI - not sure which system resource is making it choke, or is it due to the drivers not playing ball with the Via ESP5000 - the VxD drivers does not load on start and the sound card does not work. The WDM drivers just gives Win98 protection errors. Pure DOS mode with TBCDOS does dit squat. Doesn't look like a hardware issue - the card works just fine with DSLinux. So right now the choice is the YMF744 (doesn't work due to BUS noise, or it could be a card issue), keep beating on the Santa Cruz until it works (or try it with XPe), or get another card...

Reply 15289 of 27422, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been playing around with another Acorn RiscPC. This one has 3.6 roms and was booting to the * prompt because of a directory error. After a bit of mucking around, finding a newer !SparkPlug app I got !UniBoot loaded on it. Only one more boot error to eliminate now. I'm quite pleased with progress and getting a better idea how RiscOS works. Basically a collection of toolboxes really.

Attachments

• IMAG0026.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0026.JPG
    File size
    308.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 15290 of 27422, by HannibalAnthrope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-12, 20:23:

Maybe a thread on customizing Win7 in the Marvin Software section would be a good idea?

Good idea, I've started the thread and I'm working on the guide and will post it within the hour.
It will feel good to be able to share what I've learned about Win7 because the whole ordeal happened because of Win10 and that was a very frustrating experience and there's a cloud of anger & profanity still hanging in the sky above me from it! 🤣 If I can pass on what I learned to help out someone else then the negative becomes positive.
Feedback/suggestions/criticisms will be welcome of course. And questions too which I will try to answer promptly but promise to answer all of them.

Reply 15291 of 27422, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HannibalAnthrope wrote on 2020-05-14, 04:58:
Good idea, I've started the thread and I'm working on the guide and will post it within the hour. It will feel good to be able t […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-12, 20:23:

Maybe a thread on customizing Win7 in the Marvin Software section would be a good idea?

Good idea, I've started the thread and I'm working on the guide and will post it within the hour.
It will feel good to be able to share what I've learned about Win7 because the whole ordeal happened because of Win10 and that was a very frustrating experience and there's a cloud of anger & profanity still hanging in the sky above me from it! 🤣 If I can pass on what I learned to help out someone else then the negative becomes positive.
Feedback/suggestions/criticisms will be welcome of course. And questions too which I will try to answer promptly but promise to answer all of them.

Looking forward to it.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 15292 of 27422, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Me too!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 15293 of 27422, by HannibalAnthrope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok my first attempt at a guide is posted! I hope I didn't mess anything up. If I did let me know!
I didn't get too detailed figuring I'll wait until someone asks for more detail first then I can do step-by-step instructions. My worry is that something that worked for me will leave someone with a non-booting machine. But I will definitely add specifics when asked.

Reply 15294 of 27422, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Upgraded my XT with an SIXPAKPLUS card from AST, replaced the battery and patched the software to be Y2K compliant… welcome another XT to the 21st century 😀

Attachments

Reply 15295 of 27422, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-13, 23:44:
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-13, 07:00:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-12, 22:20:

But XP in VMware does not get more than 128mb video ram, rendering it practically useless for the games I wanted to play.

You can set the machine as Win 7 x86 but have Win XP installed on the virtual hdd, this way you'll get around the 128MB limitation.

Don't forget to set the RAM to 512MB or less too...Ooops sorry I thought this was about Windows 98, my mistake ignore this comment.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2020-05-14, 14:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15296 of 27422, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Make sure that both HDD and CD-ROM are set in IDE mode. Otherwise XP will crash with 0x00007B at setup. VMWare automatically sets the CD-ROM in SATA mode if you choose Win 7

Reply 15297 of 27422, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-14, 08:07:

Make sure that both HDD and CD-ROM are set in IDE mode. Otherwise XP will crash with 0x00007B at setup. VMWare automatically sets the CD-ROM in SATA mode if you choose Win 7

Ahhhh, damnnnn... that was exactly what happened. I will try again later. Thank you.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 15298 of 27422, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-14, 08:07:

BTW, which hardware version should I use? 10, 11, or 12?

JOBS, Steve.