post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 1540 of 2204, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vittek wrote on 2020-05-21, 15:53:
Thank you, it’s such a joy to share here, everyone has something awesome and unique and it’s always inspirational. […]
Show full quote
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-05-21, 14:41:

Thank you, it’s such a joy to share here, everyone has something awesome and unique and it’s always inspirational.

On the Fake Mac:

I had looked at a lot of tutorials online, and there’s a particular 9” lcd from the ipad2 that fits. I would have gone for CRT but the only 9” SVGA CRT is black and white and I couldn’t source one in time, I wanted to finish the project while I was motivated.

Here’s everything that’s on the inside. I just copied the measurements from the metal frame in there originally and made it out of acrylic. The SD card reader fits perfectly inside part of the original floppy drive cutout.

The motherboard and original CRT are on a shelf, perhaps with a recap and troubleshooting they can be brought back to life.

Very cool thanks. Those old macs actually have a really nice form factor for a self contained emulation station. It looks great with the LCD, I wonder how much more period correct it would look with a CRT replacement too. I'm sure you'd lose some clarity, but might gain some hallmarks of a CRT that those games would have been displayed on at the time of release...

Reply 1542 of 2204, by vittek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-05-21, 16:42:

there's just one comfy room after comfy room in here and meanwhile I sit here in my garbage dump x3

Don’t give up duder I promise it took a lifetime to get here. Have a vision of what you want, and work towards it one small step at a time. You have a roof over your head, that’s a great start. Also I promise it is a process - gone through many permutations! I’ve had many tear downs and rearranges! Use this thread as inspiration!

What’s that saying? One man’s trash is another man’s treasure!

Reply 1543 of 2204, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vittek wrote on 2020-05-21, 07:04:
Feeling inspired tonight so thought it’s time to finally contribute to this thread and help keep it going. I’ve really enjoyed t […]
Show full quote

Feeling inspired tonight so thought it’s time to finally contribute to this thread and help keep it going. I’ve really enjoyed this thread in particular and am really grateful for this community. Here’s my refuge, no doubt inspired by countless posts on Vogons.

- Socket 8 Pentium II Overdrive, all SCSI, resound opl3, MPU-401 and my original voodoo2 in olive drab tower
- 486 DX2, all SCSI, Cirrus Logic VLB, Yamaha SB clone, Adlib clone
KVM switch for these two with a Model M and period correct Trackball.

- Modern PC: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x, RX570, Windows 7 and Linux Dual boot
Roland Super UA, UNICOMP AS/400 layout keyboard, trackball.

SC-55mkII, MT-32 revA, 2x Roland D50s all fed into ART mixer
Roland SRA-50 amplifier to big DCM speakers on top of bookshelves off camera.

- Macintosh (bought non working, did not modify case at all, just used hot glue gun)
MiSTer FPGA, ipad2 screen (fits perfectly) Chinese aftermarket controller board
this gives pretty good results for consoles and Atari/Amiga

such a nice and cozy setup. I especially love the table. selfmade?

Reply 1544 of 2204, by vittek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
frankmonk wrote on 2020-05-21, 17:27:
vittek wrote on 2020-05-21, 07:04:
Feeling inspired tonight so thought it’s time to finally contribute to this thread and help keep it going. I’ve really enjoyed t […]
Show full quote

Feeling inspired tonight so thought it’s time to finally contribute to this thread and help keep it going. I’ve really enjoyed this thread in particular and am really grateful for this community. Here’s my refuge, no doubt inspired by countless posts on Vogons.

- Socket 8 Pentium II Overdrive, all SCSI, resound opl3, MPU-401 and my original voodoo2 in olive drab tower
- 486 DX2, all SCSI, Cirrus Logic VLB, Yamaha SB clone, Adlib clone
KVM switch for these two with a Model M and period correct Trackball.

- Modern PC: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x, RX570, Windows 7 and Linux Dual boot
Roland Super UA, UNICOMP AS/400 layout keyboard, trackball.

SC-55mkII, MT-32 revA, 2x Roland D50s all fed into ART mixer
Roland SRA-50 amplifier to big DCM speakers on top of bookshelves off camera.

- Macintosh (bought non working, did not modify case at all, just used hot glue gun)
MiSTer FPGA, ipad2 screen (fits perfectly) Chinese aftermarket controller board
this gives pretty good results for consoles and Atari/Amiga

such a nice and cozy setup. I especially love the table. selfmade?

Thank you very much, yes, it's a couple of beautiful Japanese sawhorses made by a gentleman with skills far beyond mine, with a European butcher block slab on top. The rackmount platform on top I made after being inspired by Cloudschatze's midi setup, and the keyboard drawer I fabricated using Russian plywood and heavy duty slides. There have been a few prototypes and skills improve over the years.

Reply 1545 of 2204, by vittek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Whiskey wrote on 2020-05-18, 15:27:
Hi all. Love the thread, always check it out every so often. I've been meaning to post my pc area in here for a while but I only […]
Show full quote

Hi all. Love the thread, always check it out every so often.
I've been meaning to post my pc area in here for a while but I only feel like it's become organised enough to show you recently.

Computing_Area_Panorama.jpg
■ My office / computing area

Intel_i7-3770K_W10.jpgIntel_Core2Quad_XP_W7.jpgAMD_Athlon-64-X2_XP.jpgAMD_K6-3+_W98_DOS.jpgIntel_Core2Quad_W10_Home_Server.jpgIntel_80386-SX_W311_DOS.jpg
(From right to left, four share the big CRT with a KVM switch and the other two are on the dual screens.)

■ Intel i7 3770K running Windows 10
■ Intel Core2Quad running Windows XP & 7
■ AMD Athlon 64 X2 running Windows XP (and maybe x64 XP as well in the future). [KVM]
■ AMD K6-3+ running Windows 98Se and DOS 7 [KVM]
■ Intel Core2Quad running Windows 10 which I use as a home data s and Plex Server [KVM]
■ Intel 80386-SX running Windows 3.11 & DOS 6.22 [KVM]
■ Ignore the iMac G5 running 10.4 Tiger

I really love your setup, really great machines, nice drafting/workbench setup on the left, those attic windows in Europe are really well made and bring lots of light in. Nice space. "Thunderbirds are Go!" - Love the coasters.

Reply 1546 of 2204, by Whiskey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vittek wrote on 2020-05-21, 18:18:

I really love your setup, really great machines, nice drafting/workbench setup on the left, those attic windows in Europe are really well made and bring lots of light in. Nice space. "Thunderbirds are Go!" - Love the coasters.

Thanks Vittek! Like you said it's a process, I'm still changing things up even now. Your setup is great, I wonder if I need more bare wood in mine. Those corner joins on the wall are a thing of beauty. For those interested in the Qi I do have the mouse, keyboard and support materials filo if people are interested in seeing them. Thanks for the posts guys. (Stand by for action!)

I stream retro games every wednesday here & I dump the recordings here

Reply 1547 of 2204, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you, it’s such a joy to share here, everyone has something awesome and unique and it’s always inspirational.

I love that YT-2400...

Reply 1548 of 2204, by vittek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CMB75 wrote on 2020-05-22, 13:07:

I love that YT-2400...

Good eye! Dash is doing some recon in the distance...

Reply 1549 of 2204, by Seawolf18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My little computing corner. I am currently working on/running four machines.

DOS\Windows 3.11 Machine: Gateway 2000 baby AT Socket 5 133mhz Pentium, 64 mb ram, SB 16 ISA w/ OPL chip, S3 Trio Mach 64+ and a Voodoo 1 video cards. Found out the 3 gig Caviar drive and CD-ROM that came in it are junk. Waiting on a compact flash\IDE adapter, CD-ROM, and a Gotech floppy emulator.

Windows 98 Machine: PIII 550 mhz, 512 mb ram, Geforce 4200 TI video card, and a Sound Blaster Live PCI.

Windows XP Machine: Athlon 64 x2 6000+, 3 gigs of ram, Geforce 8800 GTS Video card, and on board audio.

Modern Machine: Pentium G4560, 8 Gigs of ram, on board video and audio. Good general use PC. Don't play modern games on PC much.

20200606_210343.jpg
Filename
20200606_210343.jpg
File size
84.54 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1550 of 2204, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cleaned up the computer room the other day, have the Amiga 500 fully setup next to my ITX gaming rig. (i7 7700k / GTX 1080 Mini) The workbench/test/build area is next to the rack on the left. Behind me out of the picture are 2 closets that I keep a ton of parts and tools in.

4DwtL7r.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 1551 of 2204, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that Addams Family playing in the background? I dig the setup.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1554 of 2204, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-06-10, 04:37:

Is that Addams Family playing in the background? I dig the setup.

Thanks. Yea, it is Addam's Family -- it is a screensaver of rotating movie/TV show backdrops on my Emby Theater software running on the home theater PC that is connected to the TV. That just happened to pop up as I was taking the picture.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 1555 of 2204, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote on 2020-04-16, 19:36:
Thanks! The two synths visible in the pic are Roland "Boutiques" - recreations of the classic Jupiter 8 and JX-3P. You can also […]
Show full quote
henryVK wrote on 2020-04-09, 07:52:

Holy smokes, xjas, that's an amazing setup!

You have two moogs (?) like it aint no thing!? xD

From the looks of this you must be at least a semi-professional musician. Where can one listen to your productions?

Thanks! The two synths visible in the pic are Roland "Boutiques" - recreations of the classic Jupiter 8 and JX-3P. You can also see the corner of some of my full-size Yamaha FM keyboards (SY-35 & DSR-1000.)

I'm not a pro musician by any means, I mostly do stuff for the demoscene and my own projects. I've gotten paid for a couple tracks once (for an indie game that sadly seems to have been abandoned.) I have some stuff online (PM me) but it's kinda out of date, and I tend to throw sketches up there that aren't really polished. One of these days I'll get around to putting together a 'proper' EP.

Law212 wrote on 2020-04-09, 05:49:

What kind of streaming do you do? I want to stream playing old games, but im not sure what I need to do it well. especially on old systems.

I made a thread for Vogoners who want to get into streaming! Would love to see more activity on it. Honestly, just start doing it, it's fun! You don't need any kind of fancy setup or even a webcam. Just download OBS (free) and you can capture DOSBox or Virtualbox or PCEm for retro stuff. Streaming from real retro hardware is more complicated but check out the VGA capture thread for more details.

My stream link is in my sig, I'm actually going live in about half an hour (plug plug plug. 😜 )

Ill add you. I have also started doing some streaming. Sometimes retro games, sometimes newer games like Doom Eternal and Gears Tactics.

Reply 1556 of 2204, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2020-06-10, 13:34:

no one with violet walls of real vogoner? 😉

That's just for basement dwellers who can't stand sunlight....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 1557 of 2204, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-10, 22:35:
robertmo wrote on 2020-06-10, 13:34:

no one with violet walls of real vogoner? 😉

That's just for basement dwellers who can't stand sunlight....

I feel personally attacked :p

Reply 1558 of 2204, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jackhead wrote on 2020-04-22, 15:57:

My Retro corner:

Is that the Xbox "PC"?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 1559 of 2204, by delinthe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My home office setup with my IBM XT 😁

Also my lab rack which contains a dual Pentium 2 Xeon Proliant server, and a modular 10MB switch from Cabletron. I used to have a bunch of token ring concentrators as well but I took them out to make room for some slightly more useful hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_5023.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_5023.jpg
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_4192.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4192.jpg