VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've implemented the SuperEagle, Super2xSaI and 2xSaI scalers. Is anyone interested in those? I think Super2xSaI looks better than even Hq2x in some games.
If anyone's interested I'll build a patch.

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 1 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you've already done most of the work, I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy having the extra scalers to play with 😀 Personally I think those scalers make things look flat and cartoony, but for old DOS games that may work quite well.

Reply 2 of 17, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm attaching here the patch with the new scalers, including Hq2x and Hq3x. Also, in this patch, you can switch the current scaler in real time using ctrl+alt+F2 (at the moment, but accepting suggestions 😀).
Please share your thoughts and experiences with this patch.

Attachments

• Filename
    scalers2.diff
    File size
    98.09 KiB
    Downloads
    199 downloads
    File comment
    New Scalers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 3 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm the eagle and sai scalers are smaller then the hq2x scaler 😀
I presume the adding of the name is purely for debugging purposes ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 17, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, yes, I just felt there was needed a way to know what scaler was currently selected and to actually have a way of knowing the real name of the scalers in a human readable form 😀

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 6 of 17, by starik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

first of all, thanks for making this patch/filters

second, is this patch included in dosbox 0.65?

and finally, Ctrl-Alt-F2 is not a good combo for linux. it is hardwired for switching virtual terminals.

Reply 7 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

second, is this patch included in dosbox 0.65?

no you have to patch it into the source and compile Dosbox yourself with it.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 17, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
starik wrote:

and finally, Ctrl-Alt-F2 is not a good combo for linux. it is hardwired for switching virtual terminals.

That's right, I didn't think of that... we'll have to think of some other key combination for that then...

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 9 of 17, by Phil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what about ctrl-alt and 1-8 like in scummvm? how can I patch the .diff file into the source and compile dosbox? i'd love to have the super2xsai scaler cause it looks so great in scummvm and I couldn't find any topics about compiling here 🙁

Help the newbie 😉

edit: found some topics bout compiling, but could anyone patch these scalers into the source code of gulikozas d3d patched version of dosbox, pleeeeze

Reply 11 of 17, by Phil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok ya right i'm sorry 😁 it was just a problem with the into german patched dosbox.conf which didn't show me those scalers
but still the dosbox status windows says scaler:normal when I change the conf file to scaler=Super2xSaI?

and with ctrl - alt - F2 i can't change the scaler, everytime i press the buttons it says again "scaler:normal"

Reply 15 of 17, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A message "scaler" in console window indicates which scaler is currently being used on screen. Some resolutions may not support scalers. Playing games with low resolution, hit Ctrl-Alt-F2.

Reply 17 of 17, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The new hq2x code (compared to old moe's patch) looks worse in some games. It looks almost the same as normal2x. I vaguely remember already debugging hq2x for tomb rider - it was some problem with palette changes and recalculating hq2x tables but the new code does this a bit differently afaik...

Screenshots taken with today's clean cvs (newhq2x and normal2x) and an older build with old hq2x code (25.1.2006).

Attachments

• normal2x.png
    Filename
    normal2x.png
    File size
    72.17 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Normal2x
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • newhq2x.png