VOGONS

Adlib vs. SB16 music

Topic actions

First post, by JohnJohny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I was playing Doom on DOS on my Retro PC but I wanted the auto-run feature so I downloaded Boom, configured it and played. Everything was Ok, the auto-run was working but there was (and still is) one problem, the music sound worse. I'm using the OPL3 option, I tried the SB MIDI-out but I don't have any external MIDI stuff, so it didn't work. On the original Doom .exe setup I was using the "Sound blaster" option in music devices. So my question is, what music device should I use in Boom to get the same sound I got in Doom using the Sound Blaster music option?

Late 90s PC: P3 867MHz / Voodoo 3 3000 / SB Live! / SB 16 WaveEffects / Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 3, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sound Blaster and Adlib are the same for music (OPL) - the only difference is SB makes OPL available on port 220 as well.

Reply 2 of 3, by JohnJohny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-21, 10:07:

Sound Blaster and Adlib are the same for music (OPL) - the only difference is SB makes OPL available on port 220 as well.

I thought so but it sounds different, it's really weird.

Late 90s PC: P3 867MHz / Voodoo 3 3000 / SB Live! / SB 16 WaveEffects / Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 3, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the original DMX sound library code wasn't included in the released source code due to copyright issues, so it's not surprising that source ports would sound different.