VOGONS

First post, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought some Creative cards with external boxes recently. Two of them (Audigy 2 Platinum EX and X-Fi Elite Pro) have MIDI I/O and I am curious if they can be used (with adequate soundfont loaded) as replacement for e.g Rolang MT32/SC55. I know it is not very eco-wise and RPI with MUNT is probably a better option but I can't get it out of my head. I do not have gameport to MIDI cables (but they are on the way) so I cannot test it now.

Reply 1 of 6, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to be clear, you're talking about hooking up your DOS PC to another PC that contains the Creative card and its IO bay?

Reply 2 of 6, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, exactly. Sorry for my english 😀

Exact chain would be:

DOS PC
ESS 1869F
Serdaco DB15MIDI
MIDI cable
X-Fi Elite Pro (or Audigy 2 Platinum EX) breakout box in "modern" PC
SGM 180 soudfont

Reply 3 of 6, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll need to run some software (e.g. Midi-ox) on your PC that actually plays back the incoming MIDI data. However you could just as well run MUNT on your pc, or the Sound Canvas VST.

Reply 4 of 6, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot, I will try it when DB15MIDI arrives.

Reply 5 of 6, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I have everything for weekend tests. I am just curious - wavetable header (currently occupied with DB S2) has the same adress (330) as gameport MIDI. Will they work simultaneously or I have to unplug S2 / reconfigure something?

Reply 6 of 6, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I tested it and everything works great! I just ran SoftMPU on DOS PC and MIDIOX on Windows PC and just watched numbers on the screen 😀 The biggest difference is in the sound of drumkit. It sounds ALMOST like real one (especially cymbals) 😉
The big downside is that another PC must be running so I will use DB S2 for games...

One interesting fact:
Warcraft 2 does not work with GM if it is not the first game started after computer boots up. Anyone else has similar "problem"?