VOGONS

First post, by rflego

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I'm having problems with my 486 with an ATI Rage XL 8MB PCI.
The PC turns on, I hear the "beep" but there is no image.
My motherboard is a UM8810P-AIO Rev. 1.1 with AM486DX4-100Mhz and 32MB of RAM.
It works normal on the Trident TGUI9680-1 PCI

I tested it on other monitors but the problem persists.

I tested the ATI Rage XL on an ASUS A7A266 and it worked.

Would the problem be the old PCI of the motherboard or possibly BIOS?

I saw on the forum that some people use this video card in their 486 without problems, but, I don't know if the models of their motherboards are the same as I have.

Reply 2 of 18, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the same issue with a 8MB Rage XL PCI on Compaq Deskpro XL. I have no issues with various other PCI cards. I have a suspicion the Rage XL is one of those cards that has remained in mass production for a long time (for server, POS or other applications) with newer iterations widely available and perhaps not so compatible with older systems. The one I bought off eBay ("new" and inexpensive) certainly looked quite modern.

Reply 3 of 18, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you purchase from Ebay ?

This Cards only work in 3.3V PCI Slots.

Your 486 only Supports 5V Cards.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 5 of 18, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ATI Rage XL in my pci 486, but it's an industrial board so perhaps that makes a difference.
I wonder if the VGA bios could be different? Could yours have Pentium or later instructions in it?
I believe the double notches means it works with both voltages.

Reply 7 of 18, by rflego

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an ATI Rage XL in my pci 486, but it's an industrial board so perhaps that makes a difference.
I wonder if the VGA bios could be different? Could yours have Pentium or later instructions in it?
I believe the double notches means it works with both voltages.

According to an image, this card is universal 3.3v or 5v.

vYEhbQv.png

UMC chipset doesn't like modern cards much.

Maybe, but, a long time ago, I remember testing a video card from 3dlabs, I think it was a Diamond Fire PRO 1000 8MB, although it works perfectly for VGA in DOS games, but under Windows 95/98, when installing the original driver, the screen was left with many artifacts, it didn't happen using Schitech Display Doctor driver.

I am currently using the latest version of Phoenix BIOS from the motherboard, I will try to test using Award Bios to see if it works. Unfortunately, Award Bios for these motherboard does not work with the PS/2 mouse...

Edit: I tried using Award Bios and I got the "beep" video card alarm not present.
This motherboard may not support this video card.

Thanks for the support.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best video card for this motherboard for both DOS games and Windows, if possible, a 3D accelerator?

Reply 8 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's almost useless to have 3D accelerator on 486. Best bet would be 3dfx card. ATI Rage Pro probably would work fine too. On much more reasonably priced, but ugly side are Matrox Mystique/Millenium II, S3 Virge DX/GX family and SIS 6326AGP.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2020-07-09, 00:59. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 18, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Rage XL works as a Mach64 though including being compatible with the Windows 3.x Mach64 drivers - I'm thinking that is the appeal of putting in the 486 - cheap, compatible, readily available.

Reply 10 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally my experience with early ATI based cards is "don't" , they had many issues. Work fine in one game or app and puke in the next. Too much trouble.. but when they worked were great. Would stick with known good stable PCI cards like Searpent rider mentioned.. though I do not consider them ugly 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 18, by rflego

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First I would like to thank you again for your support.
I live in Brazil, so my English may seem strange, so I apologize.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-09, 00:55:

It's almost useless to have 3D accelerator on 486. Best bet would be 3dfx card. ATI Rage Pro probably would work fine too. On much more reasonably priced, but ugly side are Matrox Mystique/Millenium II, S3 Virge DX/GX family and SIS 6326AGP.

Here in Brazil, unfortunately these video cards are not so easy to find online, but, there is a neighborhood full of galleries that specialize in computers, and many sell old components and it is possible to find them, but unfortunately, with the quarantine (caused by covid19), most stores are closed.
On ebay, I can find them easily, but I would need to import them.

Maybe I'm demanding too much from a 486, so the S3 Virge looks great to her.

jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-07-09, 00:56:

The Rage XL works as a Mach64 though including being compatible with the Windows 3.x Mach64 drivers - I'm thinking that is the appeal of putting in the 486 - cheap, compatible, readily available.

I feel sad that ATI Rage XL didn't work on my motherboard...

Reply 12 of 18, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rflego wrote on 2020-07-08, 20:15:

tell this chinese guy 😀
the encoding does not really say anything.. i also had this fun.
With USB Cards..

Pin 31,41,43,54 are 3.3V
i`m sure they will run to ATI Chip.
i had also a chinese Rage XL Card, they fabricate them from leftover Stock.

edit: seems your Card is different from mine, yours has a Regulator, mine has not.
So it should also work at 5V? also 5V 61,62 seems to be connected

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently no consumer PC boards has 3.3V PCI. 5V only. The 3.3V is often seen on server boards along with PCI-X.

Video compatibility comes down to how new the video card bios can be supported or not and I had same findings with early HX ATX board which will not initialize about half the of cards I have, and late Intel TX board will initialize properly on many newer video cards.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 14 of 18, by rflego

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2020-07-09, 20:35:
tell this chinese guy :-) the encoding does not really say anything.. i also had this fun. With USB Cards.. […]
Show full quote
rflego wrote on 2020-07-08, 20:15:

tell this chinese guy 😀
the encoding does not really say anything.. i also had this fun.
With USB Cards..

Pin 31,41,43,54 are 3.3V
i`m sure they will run to ATI Chip.
i had also a chinese Rage XL Card, they fabricate them from leftover Stock.

edit: seems your Card is different from mine, yours has a Regulator, mine has not.
So it should also work at 5V? also 5V 61,62 seems to be connected

I do not believe it is a voltage problem, I tested this video card on an ASUS A7A266 (Socket 462) and the PCI slot is identical to the 486.

pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-09, 21:41:

Currently no consumer PC boards has 3.3V PCI. 5V only. The 3.3V is often seen on server boards along with PCI-X.

Video compatibility comes down to how new the video card bios can be supported or not and I had same findings with early HX ATX board which will not initialize about half the of cards I have, and late Intel TX board will initialize properly on many newer video cards.

Cheers,

I have this 486 since the 90s with a Trident PCI, unfortunately this video card, maybe in the long time without use, has been damaged, it initializes but, the screen is all colored.
I also tested it on other motherboards and the problem was the same.

OK I'll try to buy a card that is compatible with this motherboard, about 10 years ago I was offered a voodoo2 PCI for a cheap price and I refused, I never imagined I would regret it today.

Maybe I'll try to buy a socket 7 motherboard, I have a Pentium 133 Processor, a Cyrix MII 300 and an AMD k6-2 500, all without motherboards ...

Reply 15 of 18, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

though I do not consider them ugly

They are ugly as first gen 3D accelerators could be.
Matrox Mystique is the fastest, but also the ugliest, lacking any texture filtering and blending modes. S3 Virge family is the slowest and also have some problems with rendering. SIS 6326AGP is somewhere in the middle, with average performance and somewhat decent image quality (not without problems though), which you have to tone down anyway to get decent performance. And none of them are really "640x480 capable" with decent frame rate even in early 3D games.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 16 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-11, 23:47:

though I do not consider them ugly

They are ugly as first gen 3D accelerators could be.
Matrox Mystique is the fastest, but also the ugliest, lacking any texture filtering and blending modes. S3 Virge family is the slowest and also have some problems with rendering. SIS 6326AGP is somewhere in the middle, with average performance and somewhat decent image quality (not without problems though), which you have to tone down anyway to get decent performance. And none of them are really "640x480 capable" with decent frame rate even in early 3D games.

I get it ! I thought you meant the cards themselves were ugly 🤣.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 17 of 18, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

486 PCI chipsets is generally much earlier than more options of video cards due to more compatible TX chipset that came out much later.

So have to keep hunting for more compatible PCI video card, but Radeon is unfortunately not one of these options.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 18 of 18, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone already modified this card to work on 5V only motherboards: Modding a "New" ATI Rage XL PCI GPU to Work on a Vintage Motherboard

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA