VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interactive Magic's iM1A2 Abrams may not look as good as Microprose's M1 Tank Platoon II, yet no less interesting. You could find reviews here and here. As for me, it was my first SVGA tank sim (no, Armored Fist doesn't count). I remember it quite fondly; I was a junior (third year student) in the university, I was also an active member of the university's student cooperative (KOKESMA ITB). I still remember misappropriating the cooperative's office printer to print the game's 200-page manual! 🤣 Ironically, I never played it beyond the quickstart mission, I was distracted by Heroes II of Might and Magic at that time.

In any case, iM1A2 Abrams is a Windows 95-era game that runs rock-stable on Windows XP. Alas, the same couldn't be said about Windows 7 64-bit. The purpose of this article is to explain how to install and run the game on the said 64-bit operating system.

Installation.

iM1A2 Abrams' installer won't install because it's a 16-bit installer, more details can be found here and here. TL;DR: just right-click on the iM1A2's SETUP.EXE, then click on Properties, and finally click on the Details tab to see the product version, which is 3.00.095.0. It is InstallShield 3, so you need 32-bit version of InstallShield 3 (Is3Engine)

001-i-M1-A2-SETUP-EXE.jpg
iM1A2 Abrams' SETUP.EXE is 16-bit installer. Click on Properties, then on the Details tab to reveal the version...

002-SETUP-EXE-version.jpg
...which is InstallShield 3.

You can download 32-bit InstallShield 3 here. But first, you should copy the entire contents of the game's CD to a writable folder, because you'll need to put InstallShield 3's executable on the same folder with the game's installation files.

003-is3-Engine.jpg
This is what the InstallShield 3 package looks like. Unzip the file, and then put the extracted .EXE in the same folder where you put the contents of the CD.

004-setup-32-exe.jpg
This is the 32-bit setup file. Use this instead of the original SETUP.EXE.

Finally, run the setup32.exe executable to install the game.

Running The Game.

First thing first, you should find the right compatibility setting. I originally set compatibility setting to Windows 95, and the game became very prone to crash, especially when Alt-Tabbing. Why Alt-Tabbing is important? You might ask. Well, I'll tell the details later. Suffice to say it drove me crazy, that I went through all lengths to install Windows 95 on DOSBOX to play the game with reasonable speed, that I wouldn't need to Alt-Tab (and I tend to get obsessive over such things). Thankfully, I eventually discovered that iM1A2 Abrams is rock-stable when compatibility is set to Windows 98 / Windows Me, even when Alt-Tabbing.

005-Compatibility-setting.jpg
This is the most stable compatibility setting for iM1A2 Abrams on Windows 7 64-bit.

The next step is tackling palette corruption, which is typical of 256 color games on Windows 7. Some of us might resort to TASKKILL /F /IM "explorer.exe", then starting explorer again after quitting the game. I choose to use DXGL instead.

006-DXGL.jpg
DXGL for iM1A2 Abrams.

It's funny, I originally intended DXGL to apply FXAA on DOSBOX, which I originally intended to run using DirectDraw. Yet DOSBOX crashes when being ran that way, so I run DOSBOX using OpenGL instead, and apply FXAA directly without having to use DXGL. I also tried DXGL with the original Heroes of Might and Magic (yes, Heroes I), and the game crashed. Yet, DXGL worked with iM1A2 Abrams, as shown on the screenshot below.

007-i-M1-A2-no-palette-corruption.jpg
When using DXGL, iM1A2 Abrams doesn't suffer from palette corruption.

Normally, when taking screenshot of 256 color games on Windows XP and above, the resulting colors turn weird. Well, iM1A2 Abrams has its own in-game screen capture utility which produces flawless screenshots, but not all 256 color games come with that. In any case, I took the screenshot above using Print Screen button instead of the game's built-in screen capture, and the screenshot doesn't suffer from palette corruption.

Anyway, I previously mentioned about Alt-Tabbing, didn't I? Well here is the explanation: iM1A2 Abrams runs too fast on modern systems. It alreadyruns too fast on my lowly Athlon II X4 620 --one of my home office computers that run Windows XP-- not to mention on more modern systems. As such, I need a slowdown utility. I use Asoftech Speeder, which runs fine on both Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit. At first, I dislike the program, because it requires Alt-Tabbing. See, unlike MoSlo, which calls the game's executable from command line, Asoftech Speeder automatically detects every programs that are currently running --including the game executable, if you already had it running. Then you get to select the game's executable from Asoftech Speeder's drop-down list in order to adjust its speed. Naturally, it involves a lot of Alt-Tabbing, so I originally dislike the idea. But it turned out iM1A2 Abrams is rock-stable when Alt-Tabbed on Windows XP, and turned out later to be stable as well on Windows 7 64-bit, as long as you set compatibility to Windows 98 / Windows Me. As such, Alt-Tabbing doesn't bother me too much.

008-Asoftech-001.jpg
iM1A2 Abrams, default speed.

But what I really like about Asoftech Speeder is that you can adjust the game's speed dynamically on the fly. As such, you can effectively pause iM1A2 Abrams while still giving orders on the tactical map, and then increase speed again to let the action unfold. Yes, some might considered it cheating, but to hell with that.

009-Asoftech-002.jpg
iM1A2 Abrams, slowed down.

So, I hope this guide useful to those who want to re-live iM1A2 Abrams on modern PC.

Happy playing!
-KAN

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 12, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So is your version already patched to Version 1.10 or do operate without the patch? Here is what the patch readme indicates:

IMPROVEMENTS IN VERSION 1.10 […]
Show full quote

IMPROVEMENTS IN VERSION 1.10

Dossiers will no longer freeze up if your default name is longer than
15 characters, even if your default Windows 95 name is longer.

Jets and helicopters retain their line-of-sight advantages, but no longer
fire missiles through hills. Their line-of-fire is restricted by terrain,
just like everyone else.

In multi-player versions forts (bunkers) are now set up correctly for
all players.

The battle score equation has been refined slightly, making it harder to
achieve a "perfect" score of 100.

Reply 2 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akula65 wrote on 2020-07-25, 21:23:

So is your version already patched to Version 1.10 or do operate without the patch? Here is what the patch readme indicates:

IMPROVEMENTS IN VERSION 1.10 […]
Show full quote

IMPROVEMENTS IN VERSION 1.10

Dossiers will no longer freeze up if your default name is longer than
15 characters, even if your default Windows 95 name is longer.

Jets and helicopters retain their line-of-sight advantages, but no longer
fire missiles through hills. Their line-of-fire is restricted by terrain,
just like everyone else.

In multi-player versions forts (bunkers) are now set up correctly for
all players.

The battle score equation has been refined slightly, making it harder to
achieve a "perfect" score of 100.

Nope, my version is unpatched. Bought a retail copy on ebay last year. Of course, the game I bought in 1997 was pirated copy, since it was very hard to buy genuine boxed copy in my country at that time. Funny, during that era, computer game stores flourished from selling pirated games, and it was all legal! Even reputable bookstores like Gunung Agung and Gramedia had stalls selling pirated games. Some stores put selected genuine titles on the shelves, but only for window dressing. Stating from the year 2000, I think, the police started raiding pirated game stores, but it seemed to be nothing more than lip service, since the stores remained on business despite frequent raids. I think what really killed pirated game stores in my country was not copyright law enforcement, but torrent sites and warez sites. These days, pirated games and software are only available from street hawkers.

In any case, I'll try the patch when I have the time. I'll let you know the result.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 3 of 12, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the posts.
I thought perhaps using the unpatched release was necessary for your process to work. Given the fact that the patch seems to address only game mechanics issues, I imagine it won't have an impact on your procedure.

Reply 4 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akula65 wrote on 2020-07-26, 10:32:

Thanks for the posts.
I thought perhaps using the unpatched release was necessary for your process to work. Given the fact that the patch seems to address only game mechanics issues, I imagine it won't have an impact on your procedure.

UPDATE: I have downloaded the patch from archive.org, and it installed successfully. After all, the patch installer is merely ZIP self-extractor, not some fancy 16-bit installer that needs to be replaced with 32-bit version.

I have run the patched version as well, and it ran normally as the unpatched version.

Reply 5 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there noticeable differences between the two pictures below? Which one looks smoother?

007-i-M1-A2-no-palette-corruption.jpg
iM1A2 running directly on Windows 7 64 bit with DXGL.

009-Abrams-on-Windows-95-in-DOSBOX.png
iM1A2 running directly on Windows 95 in DOSBOX.

Reply 6 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UPDATE: the last time I played iM1A2 Abrams was somewhere around November 2020, before I was hospitalized for typhus (albeit the hospital insisted to keep me in a small room full of COVID patients for nine hours before testing me for COVID. Thankfully the result was negative.) I haven't got the chance to play it again ever since.

Yesterday, when I tried to play it again, the game keep crashing over and over again. First I thought it was the problem with Asoftech Speeder, so I disabled it, but the game keep crashing. Then I thought it was the problem with DXGL, so I erased the iM1A2 profile from DXGL, still not working. So I tried to see the crash log.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: ABRAMS.EXE
Application Version: 1.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 335d2ca6
Fault Module Name: ABRAMS.EXE
Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 335d2ca6
Exception Offset: 00102000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c0fa
Additional Information 2: c0faf6856b14c932d44fa05ce5f0f75c
Additional Information 3: f4b2
Additional Information 4: f4b2c369eb2d062055b148501eb1b891

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I tried Google with the keyword "Exception Code: c0000005", and failed to find anything useful. But when I tried it again with the keyword "Exception Data: 00000008", I read somewhere that you need to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) when encountering such error. So I tried disabling DEP for iM1A2 executable:

101-Turning-Off-Data-Execution-Prevention-DEP.png
Disabling DEP for iM1A2 Abrams.

Aaaaand.... voila! The game works flawlessly as usual. I've just tried it with Asoftech Speeder as well, and the game doesn't crash.

I haven't got the chance to test the game extensively, though. I also have no idea why does the game, all of a sudden, need DEP to be turned off, because previously it ran pretty well with DEP on. But at least the game works, and that's all I need now.

In any case, there is a DxWnd profile for iM1A2 Abrams, and I would have gone that route if I never discovered about this DEP thing.

Reply 7 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Iirc, default for DEP is the top option unless MS changed something recently.

The potential for breakage was/is too high to enable the second option, although possibly could be enabled with modern programs but would definitely need better reporting by Windows and/or defender.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2022-10-27, 11:01:

Iirc, default for DEP is the top option unless MS changed something recently.

You mean "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"?

Funny, I didn't quite remember if it's the default option, nor do I remember why I did I choose the "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" option. Unlike my XP systems, I don't really keep a track on the programs I install and why did I install them on the first place. However...

DosFreak wrote on 2022-10-27, 11:01:

The potential for breakage was/is too high to enable the second option, although possibly could be enabled with modern programs but would definitely need better reporting by Windows and/or defender.

...I remember: my Adobe Photoshop CS3 was the first to suffer from intermittent crashes, until I specifically disabled DEP for it. Then iM1A2. I'll try the first option tonight and see the result.

EDIT: I have tried the first option. That is, "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only". iM1A2 runs flawlessly, and I have yet to experience intermittent crashes with Photoshop CS3. However, I'll let you know it the first option causes Photoshop crashes again in the future.

Reply 10 of 12, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On every Windows setup I've checked DEP is disabled by default (i.e the first option).

I've seen plenty of misleading advice telling people to add exceptions to it for compatibility problems, and what happens is people don't read the text and enable DEP to add an exception.

Reply 11 of 12, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2022-10-27, 08:20:
UPDATE: the last time I played iM1A2 Abrams was somewhere around November 2020, before I was hospitalized for typhus (albeit the […]
Show full quote

UPDATE: the last time I played iM1A2 Abrams was somewhere around November 2020, before I was hospitalized for typhus (albeit the hospital insisted to keep me in a small room full of COVID patients for nine hours before testing me for COVID. Thankfully the result was negative.) I haven't got the chance to play it again ever since.

Yesterday, when I tried to play it again, the game keep crashing over and over again. First I thought it was the problem with Asoftech Speeder, so I disabled it, but the game keep crashing. Then I thought it was the problem with DXGL, so I erased the iM1A2 profile from DXGL, still not working. So I tried to see the crash log.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: ABRAMS.EXE
Application Version: 1.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 335d2ca6
Fault Module Name: ABRAMS.EXE
Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 335d2ca6
Exception Offset: 00102000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c0fa
Additional Information 2: c0faf6856b14c932d44fa05ce5f0f75c
Additional Information 3: f4b2
Additional Information 4: f4b2c369eb2d062055b148501eb1b891

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I tried Google with the keyword "Exception Code: c0000005", and failed to find anything useful. But when I tried it again with the keyword "Exception Data: 00000008", I read somewhere that you need to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) when encountering such error. So I tried disabling DEP for iM1A2 executable:

101-Turning-Off-Data-Execution-Prevention-DEP.png
Disabling DEP for iM1A2 Abrams.

Aaaaand.... voila! The game works flawlessly as usual. I've just tried it with Asoftech Speeder as well, and the game doesn't crash.

I haven't got the chance to test the game extensively, though. I also have no idea why does the game, all of a sudden, need DEP to be turned off, because previously it ran pretty well with DEP on. But at least the game works, and that's all I need now.

In any case, there is a DxWnd profile for iM1A2 Abrams, and I would have gone that route if I never discovered about this DEP thing.

The above setting actually means that DEP is off. By setting it to the second option, you actually turned on DEP for the game. The other time when doing this actually helped me was in Diablo. Btw, DxWnd has DEP settings too if you would like to check those things independently.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 12 of 12, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is interesting info. I had no luck with this game a few years ago in W10 because it runs at the speed of light. None of the slowdown apps I tried were helpful. They did slow everything down, but caused the entire system to stutter horribly. So instead I played it successfully in PCem.