DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added upgrade to version 0.3:

Profile list columns are resizable, reorderable and items can be sorted over any property (just click on the column header). Window size and position are stored across sessions.

Thanks for the suggestions fellows, I will certainly look into them.

Ronald

Attachments

• Filename
    ss_v03.png
    File size
    21.34 KiB
    Downloads
    772 downloads
    File comment
    profiles sorted by year
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 1962, by Gadler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great Work, rcblanke. 😁
I hope for D-Fend-Config Import and Screenshot Support (If i snap a Picture, and re-select the Game in the Frontend, it crashes 😢 ).
And... screenshot directory-selection (like in D-Fend).

Keep up the good work!

Edit:
Huh.. Import works (i select the wrong directory 🙄

Last edited by Gadler on 2006-08-15, 17:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks again for the suggestions people!

Update to 0.31, fixed major crashbug (thanks Gadler). Also made profile import 'cleaning' optional and fixed a couple more minor issues here and there. More to come.

Reply 25 of 1962, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks very good - I'd be tempted to use it if I didn't work in a completely different way (I store all my games in heavily compressed rar files and I just extract them to my dos folder). I also have a special DOS menu which sets DOSBOX the way I need it to.

Reply 26 of 1962, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

managed to start it under linux 😀

Bug report
When adding a new DOSBox version (the 0.65 variant for example)
When you select default the old default version stays on default as well
(so you have 2 defaults...)

Futher it adds a / to the path for some reason.
Futher I can't select a game executable (directory browsing goes allright. but it never shows an executable)
Those last things might be related to the fact that it's run in linux though.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 27 of 1962, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote:

Looks very good - I'd be tempted to use it if I didn't work in a completely different way (I store all my games in heavily compressed rar files and I just extract them to my dos folder). I also have a special DOS menu which sets DOSBOX the way I need it to.

This is why it would be nice if the PhysFS patch supported .rar/.7zip. I used to have all of my DOS games compressed with .7zip/rar until I recompressed them all into .zip for PhysFS. There really wasn't that much of an increase in size anyway since most game data is already compressed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 29 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

This is why it would be nice if the PhysFS patch supported .rar/.7zip

Amen to that 😎

Qbix wrote:
Bug report When adding a new DOSBox version (the 0.65 variant for example) When you select default the old default version stays […]
Show full quote

Bug report
When adding a new DOSBox version (the 0.65 variant for example)
When you select default the old default version stays on default as well
(so you have 2 defaults...)

Thank you Qbix, known issue, will be fixed in upcoming version.

Qbix wrote:

Futher it adds a / to the path for some reason.
Futher I can't select a game executable (directory browsing goes allright. but it never shows an executable)
Those last things might be related to the fact that it's run in linux though.

Exactly, that is related to the backslashes being forward-slashes in Linux. I will try to construct a build that is truely crossplatform in relation to the problem you mentioned, real soon.

Spearhead wrote:

For me it just crashes when i try to start it under Linux, how did you get it to run?

You need at least the Linux SWT libraries from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php … k-linux-x86.zip but I'm not sure what files you need exactly, and where to put them. You may even have to add the library path to the java classpath?! Qbix?

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 30 of 1962, by Spearhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have SWT installed through my distributions package management, didn't help though. Hang on, i'll paste the error message i get:

startup
Could not read settings.conf
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no swt-win32-3232 in java.library.path
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1682)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:822)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:992)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:123)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.<clinit>(OS.java:18)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:125)
at com.gui.MainWindow.open(MainWindow.java:112)
at com.gui.MainWindow.main(MainWindow.java:98)

Since i don't know Java i can't make too much of that, just that there is still some problem with swt.

Reply 32 of 1962, by prompt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have not tried this program, but I used SWT under linux in one of my programs using a bash script like this:

#!/bin/sh
SWT_LIB="lib/swt-3.1-gtk-linux-x86"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:${SWT_LIB}
java -cp ${SWT_LIB}/swt.jar -Djava.library.path=${SWT_LIB} myprogram.Main

The SWT library (*.jar and *.so) has to be in the directory $SWT_LIB, and one should add the classpath of the frontend as well as the correct main class.

Reply 33 of 1962, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm i downloaded 1.5.0 rev 8 from sun.
Downloaded the swt stuff
downloaded the windows version of dbgl.
extracted all
copied files from the swt stuff archive into the lib directory of the extracted dbgl archive
started it using the commands from the bat file

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 34 of 1962, by Spearhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cool, that did it, thanks 😀
it was the copying of the swt stuff that was missing for me. I only installed that one globally.

One more prolem with that version:
The "Add profile" window is not resizable, which makes it difficult to set several settings in some of the tabs, because they are at least partially cut of.

Reply 36 of 1962, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🙄

I too have "hundreds" of games. IMO, the "minor" increase in size was not worth the inconvenience of not being able to use PhysFS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 37 of 1962, by tycho1974

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, a big thanks goes out to rcblanke for making this frontend. I have recently rediscovered the joys of my childhood through DOSBOX and DBGL, and I am much appreciative. Of course, I have questions, though:

I'm trying to futz with the keymapper. I load the booter profile just to get in there, map some keys to my joystick in order to get more than 2-button functionality, and then check mapper.txt. The changes are in there, so I know the mapping worked. Unfortunately, when I try to use those newly mapped buttons, they don't work. I've checked and re-checked the mapper.txt file, and it stays true. For each profiile, be it a game profile or DOSBOX profile or machine template, I have the option to specify a mapper text file. Theoretically, this would allow me to make a remap file for each game, yes? But I can't get the original to work...any thoughts?

Anyway, good work, and keep up the updates. I know how rewarding it is to tweak and tweak and futz and change until it's just right.

Reply 39 of 1962, by Bouchacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for this wonderful program, it works absolutely perfectly so far and its an ease setting up a new profile once you have a good conf file. One question however, when adding a new profile, you specify the .exe under the mounting tab. If you include a pathname that doesn't conform to the 8.3 filesystem, DBGL gives a message that says 'You must enter a valid mount location'. Is there any way to automatically parse the pathname to conform to DOS requirements?

Edit: Also, how do you access the SETUP.exe from the front end? I don't see any buttons or options.

Agree with us on everything
or we won't help with anything
that kind of attitude
just makes a split grow wider