VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 133, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think David (8bitguy) is one of the more genuine Youtubers out there. His content has almost always been very good and consistant.

What happened here I think its a huge rush job with his new studio being built and other projects taking his time. He hasn't made many videos lately and as David has his Youtube channel as his livelihood, he needs to put out content to put food on the table. This time, unfortunately it came back and bit him in the ass.

I hope this situation doesn't turn to the worse as its easy for the internet to jump on the bandwagon and collectively bash someone with a mob mentality.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 133, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-09-26, 10:56:

it was painful to watch when he shorted what was obviously just a mains connector by cable colors alone 😦

The paper clip scene was a major wHaAAaAaaT??-moment, indeed.
Seriously, when has anything like that ever looked like a good idea?

Buuut: I really think that the fast-acting (i.e. wrong) replacement fuse is the only problem with the PSU, because there was a ~1s high-frequency whine from the CRT when he switched it on, afterwards.
The screws? Well... screw that! (Although preferably literally.)

appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-26, 19:38:

I always thought the 8bit Guy came across as kind of an asshole..

I don't see it that way, but the promotion to "16-Bit Guy" will have to wait. Stick to your trade!

Reply 22 of 133, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote on 2020-09-26, 19:44:

I think David (8bitguy) is one of the more genuine Youtubers out there. His content has almost always been very good and consistant.

What happened here I think its a huge rush job with his new studio being built and other projects taking his time. He hasn't made many videos lately and as David has his Youtube channel as his livelihood, he needs to put out content to put food on the table. This time, unfortunately it came back and bit him in the ass.

I hope this situation doesn't turn to the worse as its easy for the internet to jump on the bandwagon and collectively bash someone as a mob mentality.

I agree . We all make mistakes, big and small. Some of them are more newbish than others, but we all make them because we are human and we have constraints. David was honest enough to be transparent about this experience and I respect him for that. He could have tried to hide/embellish his goof, but chose to share it with the world . If that isn't the best Mea Culpa, I don't know what is .

Reply 23 of 133, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure that he bit himself in the ass afterwards, but as has already been said, he could just have chosen not to let anyone see his goof-ups, but showed them all, anyway.

Reply 24 of 133, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-09-26, 19:38:

I always thought the 8bit Guy came across as kind of an asshole..

From what I've heard from people that met him at conventions and such, this isn't far from the truth. He apparently comes over as easily bothered and a curmudgeon. And from his some of his failed videos, that kind of seeps through YouTube as well.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 25 of 133, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I get what you mean, but look at it from this perspective: as you say, YouTube is now his full time job, and in most jobs there are consequences if you say "screw this, I cannot waste my time" in a half-assed way at the first roadblock you encounter. Personally I would be way more sympathetic if it was a guy with a regular day job that does YouTube on the side and cannot afford to spend much time on a hobby.

But what puts me off about the whole video is not really the paperclip or the dremel (if anything, I found those slightly amusing having no real attachment to IBM stuff of any era -- sorry IBM fans 😊 --)... it's the whole "I don't really give a crap about this waste of time, just need to put something out for the patreon" attitude. And the way he made the CR volunteers go through several boxes of this stuff only for giving up shortly after... what's the point of the video then? The whole thing has an air of "YouTuber gets loaned an extremely rare item and carelessly mangles it without showing the slightest bit of guilt", but it may be just my impression of the whole situation though.

I hope this situation doesn't turn to the worse as its easy for the internet to jump on the bandwagon and collectively bash someone with a mob mentality.

He's being slammed in the YT comments pretty hard, but I guess this is bound to happen the more popular a channel is. I assume he knows by now that comments on the Internet (YT in particular) are usually full of hyperbole and not suited for constructive criticism (this also applies for positive reactions!).

Reply 26 of 133, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the paper clip was a major fuck up, but in any case i think a lot of the hate is not justified.

I've seen worse:

https://youtu.be/QOG6DAVFrkc

And the clueless people in the comment section: "ooooh he just broke the monitor", like you could use a modern display to replace that one.

Reply 28 of 133, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This video was dissapointing and painful for me to watch.

Vintage machines are there to be enjoyed, for sure, even handled and tinkered with.

If you're going to hack into something so rare with a dremel, short the PSU, and not bother to get the correct security bit on the way home, just for ad revenue, then you break the trust of those entrusted with restoring and enjoying wonderful old machines, and IMO don't deserve our trust.

I recognise that not everyone who enjoys retro hardware has the patience to do the research, or the tenacity to stick to safe methodology, but this guy has quite a lot of exposure, and for what my 1 vote is worth, am withdrawing support.

Reply 32 of 133, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

His videos on Commodore history are very good. He should stick to that. I'm sure he wouldn't treat a rare prototype Commodore this way.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 33 of 133, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I have said before, we all make mistakes. The most important thing is what we learn from them . AFAICT, as long as this does not become part of a pattern, there is no real cause for alarm .

As for David's personality, I do not know enough about him to form any kind of worthwhile opinion . He seems nice enough in his videos. IMHO, name calling without at least providing some concrete examples/reasons justifying it is borderline defamation of character .

One may not like someone's personality or behaviour, but using the "asshole" qualifier is usually uncalled for, IMHO .

Reply 34 of 133, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What happened here I think its a huge rush job with his new studio being built and other projects taking his time. He hasn't made many videos lately and as David has his Youtube channel as his livelihood, he needs to put out content to put food on the table.

Yeah, in this video he comes off as someone who is rushing to get things done as quickly as possible, without doing proper research and taking the necessary precautions. His attitude seems to be "let's just get this done, I need that ad revenue money".

If you compare that to people like LGR and RetroManCave who seem genuinely excited about every piece of hardware they get to review, it's a pretty stark contrast.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 35 of 133, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alfer wrote on 2020-09-26, 13:29:

Sorry for the machine. I would downvote if I had a YT account.

Don't worry, I took care of that...

darry wrote on 2020-09-27, 02:26:

As I have said before, we all make mistakes. The most important thing is what we learn from them . AFAICT, as long as this does not become part of a pattern, there is no real cause for alarm .

As for David's personality, I do not know enough about him to form any kind of worthwhile opinion . He seems nice enough in his videos. IMHO, name calling without at least providing some concrete examples/reasons justifying it is borderline defamation of character .

One may not like someone's personality or behaviour, but using the "asshole" qualifier is usually uncalled for, IMHO .

Thanks, this is my exact opinion as well. I think we all agree on not to agree about his sloppy "reviving" and the methods involved in this approach. Nevertheless we should not condone insults or personal attacks. David is still a human after all and making errors is part of our existence. I am very certain that there was no intention to damage the hardware in his mind. It happens to the best of us.

That being sad, I have to wonder as well why he was so impatient to get this video out without taking 4 or 5 more days. It wouldn't have meant the end of the world to give the unit the proper care it deserved.

Reply 36 of 133, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got to disagree with your last point. Measuring that power cord for just one more minute could have saved quite a lot of time. Haste makes waste!

EDIT: Fix embarrassing typo.

Last edited by Benedikt on 2020-09-27, 13:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 37 of 133, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first thought was that it is nice to see that that place is still in existence and has not been bulldozered clean (yet) with everything having gone into the big smelter, so to say.

Second noticeable thing (which is something I see a lot of people do) is to try and turn it on without first visually inspecting it to see if there are any obvious signs of damage. In case of such old machines one doesn't know about would be a battery that has already leaked and could make things worse by turning it on first.

I don't watch his channel regularly, so I can't really comment on stuff like behavior etc in other videos. But him switching it on first and especially the paperclip thingy were questionable to me. Also questionable was his apparent lack of knowledge on IBM having used non-standard screws all the time back then. I mean I don't even like IBMs and I am aware of what I can expect when opening up an IBM. And his response to the obvious flash inside the PSU seemed to have made little impact on the youtuber emotionally. I would've freaked out if I saw such a flash in such an old (and possibly even ES/Prototype!) machine! But his impression was more like "Oh, well that didn't work. Bad luck. Lets just try something else" but maybe that is just his way of doing things.

But when handling stuff that is obviously not retail or this old (and this item is both), I'd rethink every step at least twice before executing a step.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 133, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote on 2020-09-26, 23:21:

Humans and gentlefolk, this is your brain on social media. "I'm gonna destroy old stuff instead of passing it on to someone who can use it, because.... it'll spite people on the internet!"

I'll be dollars to doughnuts that this dude also, like, really cares deeply about the planet, and the environment, and climate change - if you ask him. And that he doesn't see the cognitive dissonance.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 39 of 133, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it'll spite people on the internet

Most viewers won't care at all. It's just an old IBM.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.