VOGONS

Super Mario 64 for MS-DOS

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey I got Super Mario 64 running in DOS with glide !
tO9QcjIl.jpg
r2a3f78l.jpg

Thanks a lot to fgsfdsfgs to have created this https://github.com/fgsfdsfgs/sm64-port

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe the SGL and S3D apis would be just as appropriate given the lack of blending going on in Mario64? hinthinthinthint

Perhaps rendering with forced edge AA (As 3dfx does it on the splashes) at 320x240 to a couple 256x256 buffers and stretching that up could help approximate the N64 look. 3dfx and N64 share mutual SGI influence after all.

Would also kind of be neat to see Doom64Ex ported a similar way to make it an appropriately DOS game that could maybe take advantage of AWE/GUS cards for the music/sound (with a software renderer in addition, get those old doom spans going through lookups for the combined gradient walls etc)...

Last edited by leileilol on 2020-09-06, 01:23. Edited 2 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have time to hunt through the above site and identifying what is from the rom.
Are there files from the rom in the above linked site?
If so why?
If so please remove the link. If no response I'll remove it myself within a day.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 15, by SwirlyDreamy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2020-09-07, 02:02:

The ROM files are not in the link. The link requires you to provide your own ROM and build your executable yourself. The closest thing it includes are SHA1 hashes of the ROMs so it can identify them.

Given the amount of N64 dumping formats and the fact there's two different ROM collection types that exist online, this obviously makes sense to include somewhere I guess. (there's two No-Intro sets and one GoodSet, the former has LE/BE variants and the latter has only LE if I remember right + regional code ROM differences)

Garrett W wrote on 2020-09-06, 01:19:

Wow this is pretty neat, I might give it a try. Wonder how it runs on slower hardware, might have to investigate. Imagine getting this back to 1996-1997 and showing it to someone in combination with a Voodoo card. It would blow their minds!

It'd be kinda like how UltraHLE emulated the N64 only three years after the console came onto sale, which funnily enough you mention Voodoo there, that emulator actually did require a Voodoo1/2 card (and actually due to how popular it became, it prompted the creation of a few Glide-wrappers catered specifically to the emulator).

The user this signature is attached to can be disregarded safely.

Reply 8 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I managed to build the "normal" port to Windows 98 😀 (it also works with NT4 and even 3.51 !)
This time it needs opengl to run instead of glide. It ran well on my riva tnt2 m64. I'll try to run it on my SLI using mesafx.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a chat with one of the devs, he told me to compile this one https://github.com/sm64pc/sm64ex

He told me to follow this tutorial https://github.com/sm64pc/sm64ex/wiki/Compiling-on-Windows
Then run mingw32 and compile it with this

make TARGET_ARCH=pentium TARGET_BITS=32 RENDER_API=GL_LEGACY WINDOW_API=SDL1 AUDIO_API=SDL1 CONTROLLER_API=SDL1 EXTERNAL_DATA=1 -j4

I couldn't get it to run with mesafx tho, apparently the "windows 98 version" only runs in windowed mode and so the mesafx driver can't find any proper video mode for that.

Reply 11 of 15, by tosdude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-06, 01:02:

Maybe the SGL and S3D apis would be just as appropriate given the lack of blending going on in Mario64?

According to my basic research, some "Google-fu", and a bit of luck, I've found that compiling for S3D may be possible, just outside my skillset (which I'll be honest is very minimal).
Mesa (the API(?) used for the Dos port) did support compiling for the S3 ViRGE from version 2.5-3.4.2.
If someone with more skill would like to try, I can link the files for testing (all open source to my knowledge).

Reply 12 of 15, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Late reply, as I just saw RaVeN-05's offtopic post about SM64 for DOS in the FitzQuake for DOS [fxMesa] of the Releases forum

I've just discovered that this DOS port has been made, and it's such a shame that a compiled binary isn't available. (I mean a native CWSDPMI dos .exe). As I can't compile this myself. Don't run any Windows at all, and the list of resources just to compile the thing is huge. Even if I could attempt a compile, it would mean a Windows install, downloading an entire toolchain, and would take a long time to compile it.

I'm not asking for any ROMs, just the possibility that a compiled binary of this cool project could be posted. I think it would run very well on baremetal DOS, no DOSBOX needed. I'd very much like to give it a try. Can some kind generous soul help me out?

Reply 13 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't need windows to compile this, I made this on ubuntu and I just followed the steps indicated. The "toolchain" is just DJGPP iirc. The instructions are on the github.

Reply 14 of 15, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a pre-compiled version, and finally got to play this wonderful game in real baremetal DOS:

LINK REMOVED

Thank, you Internet Archive, and thanks to the wonderful people who compiled this "impossible" version of a classic.

Next up might be Legend of Zelda, for it's recently been completely disassembled:

https://github.com/blawar/ooot

and this claims to be a way to compile a Windows port. Next up? Who wants to tackle an MS-DOS port??!!