VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello VOGONS,

Recently, I've been collecting Socket A motherboards for some Socket A OCing later on, and recently I learned that some late Socket A motherboards have VRMs that are more "12V-centric" or are less dependent on the 5V rail of PSUs than earlier boards. Now, I've been told that boards with a supplemental 4-pin CPU power connector (like my MSI KT880 Delta) are one of such boards, but I was wondering if perhaps anyone knows of other boards that are less reliant on the 5V rail. Are there some boards that don't have a supplemental 4-pin CPU power connector, but are 12V-centric? Let me know.

Thanks!

[Edit:] Member computerguy08 has made a VOGONS wiki page in which we can add future mentions into. Check it out here: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … _A_motherboards

Motherboards mentioned so far that have not been added include:

12V-centric
Single-CPU:

• Abit AT7 MAX2
  • Abit KD7-G
  • Abit KV7-V
  • MSI KT6 Delta
  • Epox 8VTAI

Dual-CPU:

• Asus A7M266-D

------

5V-centric:
Single-CPU:

• AOpen AK79G Max
  • Biostar M7NCD, M7NCG
  • Chaintech 7NJL6, 7NJS, 7NIL1, 7NIF2
  • Epox 8RDA+
  • Asus A7M266
Last edited by ultra_code on 2022-05-18, 16:12. Edited 5 times in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 3 of 38, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 4-pin supplemental power connector delivers 12V exclusively (the four pins are +12V, +12V, ground, ground). My understanding is that motherboards that use this connector are using it to service the CPU via VRMs that step down the 12V to whatever the CPU requires.

As you mentioned, there was a shift in the industry toward using the 12V rail (12V-centric, as you put it) which roughly coincided with the Pentium 4. The 4-pin supplemental power connector (called ATX12V) was introduced specifically to enable this shift.

The 20-pin ATX power connector only has ONE pin that supplies 12V (the newer 24-pin connector added a second 12V pin). So a typical motherboard of the era might have:
20-pin ATX only: ONE 12V pin for the entire motherboard
or
20-pin ATX + 4-pin ATX12V: THREE 12V pins for the entire motherboard

This suggests that any motherboards that lack the supplemental 4-pin power connector will almost certainly not be '12V-centric'. They would have only ONE 12V connection to the power supply, which would likely be insufficient to feed the CPU with primarily 12V.

For some good further reading I recommend checking out:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/c … .html#atxmain20
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psurailhistory/rails.html

Reply 4 of 38, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bZbZbZ wrote on 2020-11-18, 01:50:
The 4-pin supplemental power connector delivers 12V exclusively (the four pins are +12V, +12V, ground, ground). My understandin […]
Show full quote

The 4-pin supplemental power connector delivers 12V exclusively (the four pins are +12V, +12V, ground, ground). My understanding is that motherboards that use this connector are using it to service the CPU via VRMs that step down the 12V to whatever the CPU requires.

As you mentioned, there was a shift in the industry toward using the 12V rail (12V-centric, as you put it) which roughly coincided with the Pentium 4. The 4-pin supplemental power connector (called ATX12V) was introduced specifically to enable this shift.

The 20-pin ATX power connector only has ONE pin that supplies 12V (the newer 24-pin connector added a second 12V pin). So a typical motherboard of the era might have:
20-pin ATX only: ONE 12V pin for the entire motherboard
or
20-pin ATX + 4-pin ATX12V: THREE 12V pins for the entire motherboard

This suggests that any motherboards that lack the supplemental 4-pin power connector will almost certainly not be '12V-centric'. They would have only ONE 12V connection to the power supply, which would likely be insufficient to feed the CPU with primarily 12V.

For some good further reading I recommend checking out:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/c … .html#atxmain20
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psurailhistory/rails.html

Actually quite informative. Thanks.

Also, I'll start maintaining a list of motherboards in my OP so that people can quickly research what motherboards have the ATX12V cable.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 6 of 38, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can just say that my Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 (nforce2 ultra 400) does not have the atx12v connector, so that one is quite likely 5v-centric. I use an old Enermax PSU with strong 5V rail

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 7 of 38, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FIC K7MNF-64 is an nForce2 mATX motherboard that uses the 4-pin +12V connector, I believe it was used on certain models of eMachines PCs. It is really bare bones but very reliable in my experience.

Reply 8 of 38, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some nforce 2 boards that definitely do use the 4-pin 12V CPU connector:
- Abit's NF7 in all its variants and revisions
- MSI's K7N2 and its variants
- Gigabyte's GA-7N400, GA-7NNXP
- DFI's Lanparty NFII Ultra

Reply 9 of 38, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIA and SIS motherboards are hit or miss, when it comes to separate 12v connector.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 38, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can list a few boards that I know have 12V rails (and I also own):

Reply 11 of 38, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need to list Nforce 2 boards with 12v connector. Much easier to list exceptions which don't have it.

Reply 12 of 38, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-11-18, 13:18:

You don't need to list Nforce 2 boards with 12v connector. Much easier to list exceptions which don't have it.

I think that'll be like over half of all Socket A boards, 🤣.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 13 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-11-18, 13:18:

the_ultra_code wrote on 2020-11-18, 15:07:

I think that'll be like over half of all Socket A boards, 🤣.

I'd still suggest to include all the full model numbers and differentiate between the 2 as leaving names out will make it harder to find using a search engine.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 38, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-11-18, 15:17:

I'd still suggest to include all the full model numbers and differentiate between the 2 as leaving names out will make it harder to find using a search engine.

So list both boards with and without the 12V connector?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 15 of 38, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think that'll be like over half of all Socket A boards

On other chipsets, but majority of Nforce 2 boards had 12v connector. It's just counter productive to list all of them. When it comes to VIA and SIS chipsets, the situations is flipped - minority of boards, even most late ones, had 12v connector.

Reply 16 of 38, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 12V CPU power connector was not quite as ubiquitous on nForce2 boards as some are suggesting. There were quite a lot of boards still without it, such as:
- AOpen AK79G Max
- Biostar M7NCD, M7NCG (mATX)
- Chaintech 7NJL6, 7NJS, 7NIL1 (mATX), 7NIF2 (mATX)
- Epox 8RDA+

Though at least in Epox's case, they did add it to later similar boards, such as 8RDA3+, 8RGA+ or 8RGM3I (mATX).

Some more non-nforce2 boards that did have the 12V CPU power connector:
- Abit AT7 MAX2 (VIA KT400) (but not the regular AT7, which was KT333 based)
- Abit KD7/KD7-S/KD7-G (VIA KT400)
- Abit KV7/KV7-V (VIA KT600)
- MSI KT6 Delta (VIA KT600)
- Epox 8VTAI (KT880)

Reply 17 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
the_ultra_code wrote on 2020-11-18, 15:31:
Tetrium wrote on 2020-11-18, 15:17:

So list both boards with and without the 12V connector?

Yes. This way you'll also have an easy way to check which boards you've verified previously regardless of whether or not these have the P4 connector.
See this page for an example https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … 70_motherboards in which specific features of all the boards in the table are listed like AGP and the presence of ISA slots.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 38, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When it comes to dual CPU Socket A motherboards, you can list the Asus A7M266-D as well.
It has not only the 12V connector, but also the ATX-Aux power connector (6 pins: 3x Ground, 2x +3.3V, 1x +5V).

(I happen to own this board, but unfortunately it doesn't POST, probably needs to be recapped, some or the larger caps are blown and have leaked.)

Edit: Its single-CPU sibling, the A7M266, seems to lack both additional power connectors and is therefore probably "5V-centric".

My retro computers

Reply 19 of 38, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-11-18, 17:58:

Yes. This way you'll also have an easy way to check which boards you've verified previously regardless of whether or not these have the P4 connector.
See this page for an example https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … 70_motherboards in which specific features of all the boards in the table are listed like AGP and the presence of ISA slots.

😓 Work for another day. For now, I'll just list those that have a 12V connector, and maybe later, if free-time permits, I'll make a VOGONS wiki post like that.

gex85 wrote on 2020-11-18, 18:15:

When it comes to dual CPU Socket A motherboards, you can list the Asus A7M266-D as well.
It has not only the 12V connector, but also the ATX-Aux power connector (6 pins: 3x Ground, 2x +3.3V, 1x +5V).

(I happen to own this board, but unfortunately it doesn't POST, probably needs to be recapped, some or the larger caps are blown and have leaked.)

I can recap that for you, if you wish. 😀

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png