VOGONS

First post, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it should be possible, yet, i have absolutely no knowledge in that low level programming. Therefore, maybe one of you can help me out?

I would like to match some jumpers on board with some register values in chipset using datasheet. For that, i need a way to read certain addresses to see, if some bits have flipped, when i have changed the jumper settings. (obviously, jumpered bits are read-only)

Maybe someone can help me out and show, how to use dos debug for example to read some register addresses? Let's say, i want to see all 8 bits on register 60h in chipset. What should i write?

Thank you!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 1 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Start QBASIC instead and use the INP and OUT functions to do things

OUT &H60, 123 'write 123 to $60
PRINT INP(&H60) 'show content of $60 on screen

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 8, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like i've been slightly off track.
I found this thing here in the forum: "As explained in the data sheet, the chipset registers are accessed through port I/O. $22 is the index port and $23 is the data port."

So what would that mean? Always write to 22h and then read back from 23h?

Last edited by GigAHerZ on 2020-12-23, 15:17. Edited 2 times in total.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 8, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well if you wanted to set a value to a port, you wouldnt use debug necessarily unless you wanted to write asm that way.

start debug and type;

a
mov dx,060
mov al,0FF
out dx,al
mov ah,04c
int 021

rip
g

the "a" is for assemble, then you have lines of code setting the port and the value in al
the 4c/cd21 is to exit the app

rip sets the instruction pointer to 100
g runs the program

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 4 of 8, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-12-23, 14:41:

Seems like i've been slightly off track.
I found this thing here in the forum: "As explained in the data sheet, the chipset registers are accessed through port I/O. $22 is the index port and $23 is the data port."

So what would that mean? Always write to 22h and then read back from 23h?

I ask and i answer: Yes, this is how it works. Write register address to 22h and then read 23h for the value. Thanks, @Tiido, as you gave everything i needed, both reading and writing.

Reply 5 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can do direct port IO in DEBUG, no need for BASIC or any assembly

-i 60

-o 60 FF

Reply 6 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

are you familiar with the program CTCHIP34? if your chipset is supported it provides an easy front end to changing chipset register values

Reply 7 of 8, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-12-23, 15:54:

are you familiar with the program CTCHIP34? if your chipset is supported it provides an easy front end to changing chipset register values

Now i know! Yep, i can see same values there. Thanks!

Reply 8 of 8, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-12-23, 15:50:

you can do direct port IO in DEBUG, no need for BASIC or any assembly

-i 60

-o 60 FF

heh I never knew that one! I use debugx which is a better debug ... 386 regs, and indeed the I (w|d) port functions.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--