Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 37540 of 52690, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pete8475 wrote on 2021-01-09, 00:40:
winuser_pl wrote on 2021-01-07, 09:28:

I bought IDT WinChip C6 200 MHz for $10 incl ship. The processor legs are not straight, but the CPU itself is in working condition. My plan for the CPU is to fix the legs and get rid of that sticky glue from top.

The second item is the motherboard - Gigabyte GA-7N400S with yellow Socket 462 😁 It is brand new condition, but I/O ports cover is missing for some reason. It is nForce 2 mobo, supports Athlons, Durons, Athlon XPs and Semprons.
Price: ~ $9

Brand new with clearly defective capacitors, you can see the tops blowing on two in that pic.

Make sure to memtest the hell out of whatever memory you put in there (after you repair the board). I have yet to experience an nforce 2 motherboard in person that can run memtest86 for any appreciable amount of time without errors, I think all of them are just straight up trash.

Indeed, but replacing capacitors are not a problem for me 😀

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 37541 of 52690, by assasincz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
assasincz wrote on 2021-01-08, 21:23:

Got this tired poor old barn mare,

After some testing and fiddling, what I got functioning from it are the CPU (Celeron 300MHz), Mainboard (BX98-3D), two sticks of SDRAM, Rage Pro AGP graphics card with RAM upgrade, a 4.2GB HDD, a floppy and a CD-ROM drive, so basically a functioning system. Nice

Reply 37542 of 52690, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
assasincz wrote on 2021-01-09, 16:19:
assasincz wrote on 2021-01-08, 21:23:

Got this tired poor old barn mare,

After some testing and fiddling, what I got functioning from it are the CPU (Celeron 300MHz), Mainboard (BX98-3D), two sticks of SDRAM, Rage Pro AGP graphics card with RAM upgrade, a 4.2GB HDD, a floppy and a CD-ROM drive, so basically a functioning system. Nice

That's really awesome you were able to recover all of that. Is the case salvageable or just a lost cause?

Reply 37543 of 52690, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My PCIe PhysX card for my 8800GTX SLI rig came today. I didn't expect to get the boomerang edition. Sellers really need to understand they can't just stuff things like this in a 5x8" bubble mailer..

XF2j9Jp.jpg

nF8zOKa.jpg

S2qglaA.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 37544 of 52690, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2021-01-09, 19:32:

My PCIe PhysX card for my 8800GTX SLI rig came today. I didn't expect to get the boomerang edition. Sellers really need to understand they can't just stuff things like this in a 5x8" bubble mailer..

I hope you get a refund for that.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 37545 of 52690, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly, as fucked up as that card is, even a box would not have helped. That was deliberately destroyed by the mail system.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 37546 of 52690, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agreed, you need quite some force to accomplish this unholyness.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 37547 of 52690, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought IBM 300PL, but sadly with some damages on the case. However it works fine. I also got one Pentium 3 and one Celeron 3 complete systems. After a few beeps I got both systems booting fine. The cases frome Pentium 3 and Celeron 3 systems were pretty damaged and jellowed, so I decided not to keep them. I am running critical with storage space too. I removed everything from the casses, I even kept the plastic front of the cases. All that was left was metal chassis. Other components on the photo were in the systems. In the price I also managed to bargain a Radeon 9800 pro, which I hadn't had a chance to test it. Hope it works.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0545.JPG
    File size
    199.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0546.JPG
    File size
    445.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0548.JPG
    File size
    428.96 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 37548 of 52690, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
My PCIe PhysX card for my 8800GTX SLI rig came today. I didn't expect to get the boomerang edition. Sellers really need to under […]
Show full quote

XF2j9Jp.jpg

nF8zOKa.jpg

S2qglaA.jpg

Plug it into a sacrificial motherboard and see if it works!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 37549 of 52690, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PD2JK wrote on 2021-01-09, 21:35:

Agreed, you need quite some force to accomplish this unholyness.

I agree that it looks worse than would normally be expected, but there's no way that it would have been as bad in a box unless the box was as soft as a bubble mailer. It looks like it got wrapped around something or crushed over the corner of a box or some part of the sorting system. This wouldn't have happened to a box.

People can be really dumb with the way they pack things. Miscalculating the durability of a box or packing material and having something get damaged is an honest mistake. Thinking that an irregularly shaped circuit board will survive through any shipping service in a soft bubble mailer shows either completed ignorance of how physics works or a total disregard for the item being shipped (and the recipient).

Recently, a guy I bought something from shipped a heavy video card in a beat up amazon box LOOSE with two air bubbles... the ones you use to pack light things, that pop and are useless. No antistatic bag, no bubble wrap, nothing. When it arrived it was loose in the box and only one air pillow still had air in it. Hilariously, he told me he worked for amazon and knew how to package things. I believe him, because this *is* how Amazon packs things. Except they don't sell loose circuit boards! Especially ones that often sell for $300-$400.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 37550 of 52690, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
My PCIe PhysX card for my 8800GTX SLI rig came today. I didn't expect to get the boomerang edition. Sellers really need to under […]
Show full quote

XF2j9Jp.jpg

nF8zOKa.jpg

S2qglaA.jpg

Holy crap that poor PhysX card it didn't deserve that. Was the delivery guy trying to wrap the card around a pipe or something.

Reply 37552 of 52690, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Christmas season shopping in USA.

Nvidia Riva TNT cards ( For my WIn-98 Builds )
Nvidia GeForce-4 Ti-4200 card ( For my Win-98 builds )
Complete Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 sound card with MIDI kit. ( For my 386/486 builds )

Attachments

Reply 37553 of 52690, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-09, 04:57:

This made me curious, as I have an overclocked Abit NF7-S 2.0 system that has been used, in some capacity, almost constantly since I built it 2003. I just ran memtest on it for the first time since I last tweaked it about 8 years ago. It ran for 50 minutes, long enough to do a full pass, plus some. No errors detected. I don't do anything super critical on it, so I didn't feel like running it for a 24 hour test, but I've never had stability problems with it.

I sold computers for over 15 years (owner/operator of a retail store, sold new computers and repaired old computers) , all kinds of junk will pass memtest for an hour. I used to think a single full pass of memtest86 was sufficient and then I started getting people calling me saying their new Athlon XP/nforce 2 computers were bluescreening. Ultimately I threw out at least 90% of the nforce 2 MSI and Asus boards I sold, I took almost all of them back from clients (only exceptions were people I could not reach) and replaced them with VIA boards. I took a bath on that trash!

When those boards started causing clients problems I came to the conclusion they sucked when every single one couldn't pass memtest (or the microsoft memory diagnostic program in extended mode) over a mere weekend, I'd start running memtest at 5pm friday and come in Monday morning and they would always have errors. This was with every damn kind of ram I could order from distributors! Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, OCZ (fuck them for other reasons), etc.

Maybe Abit somehow made their boards better, none of my suppliers carried their boards when I was in business so I never got to be hands on with an abit nforce 2 board.

Oh also I always found the nforce 2 boards I had access to were more stable (but still eventually failed memtest every damn time) with 1 stick of memory in that third slot that was spaced away from the 2 meant for dual channel.

Reply 37554 of 52690, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pete8475 wrote on 2021-01-10, 06:08:
I sold computers for over 15 years (owner/operator of a retail store, sold new computers and repaired old computers) , all kinds […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-09, 04:57:

This made me curious, as I have an overclocked Abit NF7-S 2.0 system that has been used, in some capacity, almost constantly since I built it 2003. I just ran memtest on it for the first time since I last tweaked it about 8 years ago. It ran for 50 minutes, long enough to do a full pass, plus some. No errors detected. I don't do anything super critical on it, so I didn't feel like running it for a 24 hour test, but I've never had stability problems with it.

I sold computers for over 15 years (owner/operator of a retail store, sold new computers and repaired old computers) , all kinds of junk will pass memtest for an hour. I used to think a single full pass of memtest86 was sufficient and then I started getting people calling me saying their new Athlon XP/nforce 2 computers were bluescreening. Ultimately I threw out at least 90% of the nforce 2 MSI and Asus boards I sold, I took almost all of them back from clients (only exceptions were people I could not reach) and replaced them with VIA boards. I took a bath on that trash!

When those boards started causing clients problems I came to the conclusion they sucked when every single one couldn't pass memtest (or the microsoft memory diagnostic program in extended mode) over a mere weekend, I'd start running memtest at 5pm friday and come in Monday morning and they would always have errors. This was with every damn kind of ram I could order from distributors! Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, OCZ (fuck them for other reasons), etc.

Maybe Abit somehow made their boards better, none of my suppliers carried their boards when I was in business so I never got to be hands on with an abit nforce 2 board.

Oh also I always found the nforce 2 boards I had access to were more stable (but still eventually failed memtest every damn time) with 1 stick of memory in that third slot that was spaced away from the 2 meant for dual channel.

That's pretty bad. I'm very glad that hasn't been my experience, though obviously mine is only one.

I do think it's funny if you go back to motherboard reviews of the late 90s and early 2000s some sites (like Anandtech) actually comment on how many crashes they experienced compared to other boards. Those were certainly crappy times for hardware stability when it was "not bad" for a board to crash maybe once every 6 hours. I'm surprised anyone even noticed there was a problem. I don't think any of my systems were that bad (if I stayed away from DOS games and crappy DOS sound card drivers).

I know that running memtest for more than one pass is important for stability testing. I run memtest on my primary machines for several hours after making RAM changes, but I've never really run into stability problems on most machines that warranted running memtest that much. I did a few times over the years, but it was always RAM.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 37555 of 52690, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few humble cards unearthed in a junk shop today. I have an XP build in the pipeline, so the Audigy will be good for that.

Has anyone ever seen an Audigy SB0090 with a sticker on the chip like that? I'm not finding any via google image search.

cards (med).jpg
Filename
cards (med).jpg
File size
243.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 37556 of 52690, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

saw a reasonably priced vibra 16 ct2260 with a ymf262 chip onboard so i snatched it up to go in my 486 when the parts show up in the next week or 2. i have been curious to see how these sound. hope its not too noisy!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    267.94 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Vibruh
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 37557 of 52690, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For $30.00 and a long drive, I purchased four motherboards, two cases, and three video cards. Two Aopen boards, both of which are interesting; one is a Pentium M board, the other is a Pentium 4 775 AGP board. And a pair of industrial Pentium 4 boards. I've tested three of the four boards so far and they have all POSTed. And the video cards are PCI Radeon 7000 64 meg DDR cards. The one P4 board has a 3.0 with hyperthreading CPU, and I'm guessing the other does as well. The only auctions I could find on Ebay for the Socket 478 boards were ridiculously overpriced. And the Pentium M MATX board is apparently so rare that I couldn't find a listing to give me any idea of what it might be worth.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 37558 of 52690, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not bought but given.
A Quantum Fireball ST 6.4GB and a WD Caviar 4GB. Both working wonderfully.

Attachments

• drives.jpeg
    Filename
    drives.jpeg
    File size
    160.11 KiB
    Views
    File license

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.