VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got a 890GXM-G65 socket AM3 mainboard. I don't have any AM3 CPUs but plenty of AM2s.
Can I try the board with an AM2 CPU or not?

Reply 2 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Easier to just ask people who are expert in the topic. 😉
That's what this site is for, otherwise I'd just Google everything.

Reply 3 of 10, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not to troll but sometimes doing a bit of research makes it more fun. At least for me 😀

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 4 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still not convinced, people say they are not pin compatible. So will an AM2 Athlon 64 3000+ work in this board?
I don't want to fry anything.

Reply 5 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not trolling but I want to make sure. That's my only AM3 board. I'd rather ask stupid questions than regret ruining the board later.

Reply 7 of 10, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

from wikipedia:

"Socket AM3 processors are able to run on Socket AM2 and AM2+ motherboards with appropriate bios updates, but not vice versa. AM3 processors have a new memory controller supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 SDRAM, allowing backwards compatibility with AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. Since AM2 and AM2+ processors lack the new memory controller, they will not work on AM3 motherboards."

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 8 of 10, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you all!

Reply 9 of 10, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try aliexpress for cheap CPU's

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 10 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a 95watt phenom ii x6 1055t for $40 from The Bay awhile back for a similar motherboard to upgrade a Athlon ii x250. Absolutely killer performance increase for the $ for modern web usage and GTA 5 and the like that dont require SSE 4.2 or whatever it is that all the newer games are requiring.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1