VOGONS

First post, by DEADLY9996

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I havn't used emulators in a while, but it is my first with DOSBox. Managed to use the guides to help me set it up. But i have a problem with sound being different out of each speaker.
It says 1 block of text out of 1 speaker and another block out of the other speaker. 😒 Any suggestions to the problem?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 43, by DEADLY9996

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

o i thought i posted it in there, sorry

1: ASUS A8N32 SLI DELUXE
2: AMD FX-60 Socket 939 Dual Core
3: Corsair 2x1GB
4: ASUS 7900GTX 512
5: Standard Nvidia Chipset NForce 4
6: Windows XP Pro SP2
7; Chronicles Of The Sword

8: Movie Sequences Fine, just during game. Also says blocks of text they shouldn't be said, but it's limited to the spcfic area that i'am in

9:SoundBlaster 16

10: Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution) = ermm not sure

# Version of emulator (for VDMSound, probably 2.0.4 or 2.1.0; for DOSBox, 0.58+) = Latest version as from 17/11/06

# Steps already attempted to solve the problem (please say you've read the README if you haven't, and READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T!) = Changed a few things but they cleared up Game Speed not the problem, not sure exactly what other settings do, so i left em as default

Reply 8 of 43, by cupra4t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone.

I have the same problem with the audio in this game.

if you run the game in a old pc with the specifications
of the game , runs well, but in new pc's apears the sound problem.

the issue is caused by the audio extraction, called qsound, that isnt emulated by dosbox.

Is possible that dosbox coders/programmers add this feature to a new release of dosbox?

is the only way to solve this problem.

Thanx in advance.

Reply 13 of 43, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Don't know if there is any information available about this chip (is it awe-specific?)
Yet i'd assume that this game would work without that chip as well as the
other sound devices (sb16) were far more common.

Reply 14 of 43, by cupra4t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I give you more info:

QSound Labs is primarily a developer and provider of audio enhancement technologies for entertainment and communications devices […]
Show full quote

QSound Labs is primarily a developer and provider of audio enhancement technologies for entertainment and communications devices and software. The company is best known as a pioneer of 3D audio effects, beginning with speaker-targeted positional 3D technology applied to arcade

The first Q-enhanced PC product from Sony Interactive will be "Assault RigsAssault Rigs is an Action game by Psygnosis, released in 1995 for PC, PlayStation 1 and Sega Saturn. The game's based in the future, where real sport has been overtaken in favour of virtual sport. And everyone's favourite is Assault Rigs.
Sony's second offering, "Chronicles of the Sword" Chronicles of the Sword is a sword and sorcery fantasy point-and-click adventure game with arcade elements, created and published by Psygnosis, and initially released in 1996 for DOS and PlayStation systems.
Also currently under development is the most realistic "Formula 1" racing game to date. It is expected to be available by April, 1996.

Reply 16 of 43, by cupra4t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Don't know if there is any information available about this chip (is it awe-specific?)
Yet i'd assume that this game would work without that chip as well as the
other sound devices (sb16) were far more common.

I assume thats a specific chip for the awe, there are qsound chips for dvd players too.

Reply 17 of 43, by cupra4t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Still keep an eye for some configuration option to not use awe/qsound at all for this game.

the problem is the same in sb/sb16/awe and gravis. the game needs this chip to do a 3d sound.

if you take a look in the page of qsound labs and see the q sound chronology:

IBM licenses QSound for the MWave technology platform
Creative Labs licenses QSound for use in its chipsets and PC soundboards, including SoundBlaster 16 and AWE 32
QSound and House Ear Institute work with Starkey Laboratories to manufacture and market hearing aids. Goal: restore user's ability to listen selectively in noisy situations
First Sega CD-ROM games released in QSound. Capcom releases "Super Street Fighter II" with QSound.

Reply 18 of 43, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

SoundBlaster 16 first came out in 1992, so if the tech was licensed in 1993, only later models could have hardware-based QSound processing, possibly the ASP line.

According to Mobygames, the game supports SBPro, which came out in 1991. If you can't disable the QSound processing directly as an option, what about configuring both the game and DOSBox for SBPro?