VOGONS

First post, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a (real, non emulated) p2 200 pc with windows 98. I tried running a pure dos mode game by setting it in the properties, pc rebooted, game didn't run because of emm 366 issues, when i rebooted into windows, my autoexex and config files were empty. sure inside win 98 that is not a problem but i often run games from pure dos (by rebooting pc from scratch and having dos there), what should i do to repopulate those files with at least the most basic lines needed to run games?

Last edited by Zaxxon on 2021-04-02, 07:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Phils msdos starter pack is a good start.

Reply 2 of 11, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-04-02, 07:22:

Phils msdos starter pack is a good start.

Thanks you mean hpil's computer lab channel? should i search for it just like that on google?

Reply 5 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First make sure they are actually gone, and have not just been copied by Win98 to different names, like CONFIG/AUTOEXEC.DOS or something like that.

It will probably be simpler if you stick to one method of running pure DOS games - either the PC always boots to pure DOS (and you have all the DOS stuff already in CONFIG/AUTOEXEC), or you run Windows by default and whenever you really need to run something in pure DOS, you use the 'Restart in MS-DOS mode' just that one time.

Using both methods interchangeably sometimes gets things mixed up, like what you described.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 11, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-04-02, 07:57:

First make sure they are actually gone, and have not just been copied by Win98 to different names, like CONFIG/AUTOEXEC.DOS or something like that.

It will probably be simpler if you stick to one method of running pure DOS games - either the PC always boots to pure DOS (and you have all the DOS stuff already in CONFIG/AUTOEXEC), or you run Windows by default and whenever you really need to run something in pure DOS, you use the 'Restart in MS-DOS mode' just that one time.

Using both methods interchangeably sometimes gets things mixed up, like what you described.

yeah i checked for .bak or other hidden variations but nothing

> either the PC always boots to pure DOS (and you have all the DOS stuff already in CONFIG/AUTOEXEC)

this is want i wanted to do, i edited the msdos.sys and chose bootgui=0 so now it boots the pc in dos mode first and i can run games there, but as long as the autoexec ecc files are empty, i cannot run anything there 😒

Reply 8 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, recreate them with what you need there, and then back them up. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 11, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All pure dos mode does is reboot your computer with a different auto exec. I had an issue where the game I was running wasn't easy to quit out of so I ended up in a boot loop and I couldn't get back into windows. I had to use safe mode to clear out my autoexec.

I manage all of my DOS games with scripts. They copy the autoexec and config.sys I need, and then after a reboot I have a generated start script that resets them to blank so I can boot back into windows. It takes a little time to setup but it is working really well so far.

Reply 10 of 11, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-04-02, 15:35:

All pure dos mode does is reboot your computer with a different auto exec. I had an issue where the game I was running wasn't easy to quit out of so I ended up in a boot loop and I couldn't get back into windows. I had to use safe mode to clear out my autoexec.

I manage all of my DOS games with scripts. They copy the autoexec and config.sys I need, and then after a reboot I have a generated start script that resets them to blank so I can boot back into windows. It takes a little time to setup but it is working really well so far.

This is probably what happend to me, i went into safe mode and that probably wiped out the files.

I could do that but i'd need some basis where to start, some generic ones that are not taking for granted that i have a DOS folder in c:\

Also because i noticed that now dos games (even in windows!) won't recognize my sound card at all. The fact that is not a real sb 16 but a clone (it's a IBM all in one pc from late 99 and has an integrated sound card) probably made things worse

Reply 11 of 11, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-04-02, 15:30:

Well, recreate them with what you need there, and then back them up. 😀

...yeah...

starting from what? thsi is the issue, i need a basis to work from/on