VOGONS

Am I beating a dead horse here? I have a GeForce3 TI200...

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Evildrak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And I want to run my old 3DFX/ Glide games. GeForce does not support 3DFX I don't think, but I miss playing all these glide games... I downloaded the glide2x.dll and put it in my WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory (XP Professional) but I still get just software rendering... 🙁
Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 3 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay.....

The glide2x.dll from the Voodoo drivers is for Voodoo cards. NOT any others. Sticking the glide2x.dll from these drivers onto your system and expecting your games to work is just WRONG. There was some crazy rumour started by some stark raving madman somewhere on the internet claiming that the Nvidia drivers emulated glide and that by using glide2x.dll from the Voodoo drivers that it would be enabled but as I stated up above...that is INSANE.

The glide2x.dll from OpenGlide EMULATES Glide. Therefore since it's emulation it is not perfect and has problems. ONLY use the glide2x.dll from the programs that emulate glide. Ex: Openglide or Evoodoo are your best bets.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He said he was using the OpenGLide DLL, DosFreak.

OpenGLide emulates Glide by mapping calls to OpenGL, therefore it makes NO DIFFERENCE if the card supports or doesn't support Glide. Put Glide2x.dll from OpenGLide in the game's directory. Of course, the game COULD be hardwired to a specific Glide library in which case it won't work. What are you trying to run, anyway?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

He said he was using the OpenGLide DLL, DosFreak.

OpenGLide emulates Glide by mapping calls to OpenGL, therefore it makes NO DIFFERENCE if the card supports or doesn't support Glide. Put Glide2x.dll from OpenGLide in the game's directory. Of course, the game COULD be hardwired to a specific Glide library in which case it won't work. What are you trying to run, anyway?

Yeah, but he also said:

I think the problem is that the Geforce3 does not support glide nor 3DFX, just Direct3D and OpenGL, but I could be wrong...

Which shows that he did not understand the difference between Openglide and the Voodoo drivers....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 13, by Evildrak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understand Glide/ 3DFX is a voodoo chipset thing. I guess
I am trying to run Forsaken, but not limited to that.
I guess I am lost when it comes to "emulating" glide. Do I need another prog to run in conjunction with that dll? Because all I have is that Glide2X.dll in my Windows/system32 directory.
Pretty much anything in that Glide list provided in the other threads would be fair game for me.
Thanks in advance

Reply 7 of 13, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forsaken runs best in D3D, not glide.
You'll need to patch it, but you'll then be able to run it upto 1600x1200 in 32bit colour, with only your hardware limiting you.

To be honest, I don't think it ever had a glide mode, merely a 3dfx D3D mode. I could be wrong.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 10 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Evildrak I think the problem is that the Geforce3 does not support glide nor 3DFX, just Direct3D and OpenGL, but I could be wrong...

Is there a problem with the Direct3D version of Forsaken? If so, there is a (homemade) patch for the GeForce.

Reply 11 of 13, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, it didn't have a glide mode (just installed it).
It merely had a list of D3D accelerators, from Software mode, to Verite mode.

The poster here would need to select Generic 3D Accelerator.

If so, there is a (homemade) patch for the GeForce.

Yep, Thats what I just installed from an old Patch CD. But I can't post the URL because I can't remember it.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 12 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by CraigG Thats what I just installed from an old Patch CD. But I can't post the URL because I can't remember it.

IIRC, the only place I found this was a game site that originally concentrated on running games with the GeForce (used to be a NvNews "associate"), but he abandoned all his tips and patches to concentrate on console games.

Luckily, I downloaded it before it disappeared.

UPDATE: Found files. Originally came from: "Dayton's Misc"

Combined both zips and placed in Magrathea/Deep Thought.