VOGONS

Chips & Technologies F64300 VLB vga question

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cache only works for GUI acceleration and improves performance by about 15%, depending on resolution.

DOS is not constrained by the video memory bandwidth and thus there is no improvement.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 21 of 31, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mpe wrote on 2021-04-08, 19:57:

The cache only works for GUI acceleration and improves performance by about 15%, depending on resolution.

DOS is not constrained by the video memory bandwidth and thus there is no improvement.

OK, thank you much.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 22 of 31, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got myself one of these too. But I'm unsure what kind of RAM to get to bring it to 2MB - what should I be looking for? I have a Cirrus card with similar sockets and I suspect the ram is the same; am I right?

I think I can figure out the xram part. Just hope the OS/2 driver is accelerated. The Cirrus 5428 is absolute rubbish. It can't even do NI at 1024x768. What's the odds this one can?

/Eirik

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 23 of 31, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ltning wrote on 2021-07-09, 23:29:

I got myself one of these too. But I'm unsure what kind of RAM to get to bring it to 2MB - what should I be looking for? I have a Cirrus card with similar sockets and I suspect the ram is the same; am I right?

I think that if the Cirrus card has similar socket, the RAM chips will be good. I have never find incompatibility with SOJ video memory chips. Important! Pay attention to the right direction!

I think I can figure out the xram part. Just hope the OS/2 driver is accelerated. The Cirrus 5428 is absolute rubbish. It can't even do NI at 1024x768. What's the odds this one can?

/Eirik

We like the Cirrus 5428 not because high resolution GUI capabilities but because is's best old DOS (VGA/SVGA pre VBE 2.0) game compatibility: https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS_VLB/

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 24 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both have decent compatibility, but 542x series were just slow budget chips targeted at OEM and had no real benefit from 2 Mb of video RAM, due to crappy DAC. F64300 is similar to ET4000/W32i.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 25 of 31, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote on 2021-07-10, 07:20:

I think that if the Cirrus card has similar socket, the RAM chips will be good. I have never find incompatibility with SOJ video memory chips. Important! Pay attention to the right direction!

If I am to buy more such chips, what specifically should I be looking for? Socket types, organization, etc.? I'm not terribly well versed in component puchasing - which I now realise is kinda embarrassing since I've been working with PC hardware since the mid-80s. I've probably also wasted a lot of money on components I'll never need ;)

Thanks for your help.

/Eirik

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 26 of 31, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ltning wrote on 2021-07-10, 10:06:
If I am to buy more such chips, what specifically should I be looking for? Socket types, organization, etc.? I'm not terribly we […]
Show full quote
Gona wrote on 2021-07-10, 07:20:

If I am to buy more such chips, what specifically should I be looking for? Socket types, organization, etc.? I'm not terribly well versed in component puchasing - which I now realise is kinda embarrassing since I've been working with PC hardware since the mid-80s. I've probably also wasted a lot of money on components I'll never need 😉

Thanks for your help.

/Eirik

I don't really known. I think most VLB videocards with 40 pin SOJ sockets are using 256k × 16 FPM memory chips, few latest VLB cards use EDO chips (I only have 2 of these and both have PCB moduls for memory upgrade not 40 pin SOJ sockets). if I wanted to expand memory one of my card, I would seek the data about the onboard SOJ-40 chips (if exist).

Reply 27 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently tried this card this weekend and failed to get it to post with a U5S at 33MHz 0WS. At 1WS it is as fast as a CL-GD5428 at 0WS.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28 of 31, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My F64300 works fine on my U5S-33MHz in zero waitstate. Guess it depends on the motherboard and card quality or something.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 29 of 31, by SubZero1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stalk3r wrote on 2019-04-18, 08:46:

according to the manual, sports a video cache called XRAM:

Do you still have the manual? Could you share? I have the same (or similar) card.

Reply 30 of 31, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think i lost the Win3.1 driver for this card. Anyone have it handy ?
Brief search online returns nothing.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 31 of 31, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you go

Blog|NexGen 586|S4