Reply 20 of 27, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
Some interesting information there! Thanks! […]
Show full quote

Some interesting information there! Thanks!

Coming to SLI, :

Ok, let's say we do have 2 Voodoo2s already in our possession. Like most of here, I suppose. If that's the case, is there anything stopping the use of Voodoo2 SLIs in a socket 7 based system? Are there any detrimental effects, or will the smoothness be the same with a Voodoo1 in these systems?

And for the Voodoo2 12MB in SLI (Total 24MB), will the stuttering be an issue here? Or will the coupled memory compensate that?

No worries - V2 will work flawlessly with K6-based machine, or P1 MMX. The only game I noticed stuttering was Halflife 1 - it happens whenever a new area is entered. Otherwise no stuttering at all.

Reply 21 of 27, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

voodoo6m.png

I would say there is no point in 6MB Voodoo Graphics until 1999. Voodoo 2 8 MB should be fine until 2000 and 12 MB is a similar overkill.

Once upon a time I upgraded my Winchip 200 system from 2d to Voodoo3 3000 PCI and it was great improvement even on that Pentium 100-like CPU.

Reply 23 of 27, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just got my Soyo motherboard. I have put in a S3 Virge and 2 Voodoo2 12MB SLI. CPU is Pentium 200 MMX. RAM - 384MB PC100 SDRAM. Will do some benchmarks soon. What games do you guys suggest for testing (so that we can compare with available data)? Currently installed MS-DOS 6.22. Will install Win95c in it soon.

Last edited by Malik on 2012-01-29, 02:39. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 24 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't the Voodoo2 be capable of more buffering the Voodoo1 can't do?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 27, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are right Swaaye, I forgot they have it divided per tmu. If it has to duplicate everything then Voodoo2 is not very forward looking.

leileilol wrote:

Doesn't the Voodoo2 be capable of more buffering the Voodoo1 can't do?

At 800x600 yes.

Reply 26 of 27, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

What games do you guys suggest for testing (so that we can compare with available data)? Currently installed MS-DOS 6.22. Will install Win95c in it soon.

Quake 2 and Turok. MDK2 has a nice benchmark but not sure if your system can pull it off.

Reply 27 of 27, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back when I was running a Pentium MMX @ 200, playing Unreal with a Voodoo2 12mb was very choppy, while running a pair of V2's in SLI made the game very playable. It wasn't your typical 2x speed boost, more like 4x boost if running Unreal with a low end CPU. May have been a driver or DirectX issue at the time.