VOGONS

Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 460 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And I've just updated the file in the post so everyone did his job:-)

Big thanks to You skatz for pointing out the errors! Since DFR build-in editor isn't very comfortable to work with loooong strings I had to use a txt editor (interestingly enough, also written by a German:-) ) so it's easier for mistakes like that.

Reply 461 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
I'm attaching final russian translation, incorporating your last changes.

And some notes - you may forfeit them till the next version.

1.Drag&Drop to data panel does not work. And should not. This tab has no supporting handler. I think that dragging file/folder directly to data tab should place files in game data folder (or currently opened subfolder), do not move images/sounds/videos to capture.

2. 'Open in text editor' in QuickStarter. Last changes with 'shell\edit' key works better but not enough good. Problem is with HTML. I have Internet Explorer as default opener, and Winword as editor. So you try to run Word. And it is right. But if there is no editor - you run IE, again the same as for simple 'open', instead of text editor. I think you should look to 'open' after 'edit' only for default txt search.
But that is not all. The real line in my 'edit' regkey is

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\msohtmed.exe" %1

See? %1 without quotes. And if Winword (from the same MS Office 2003 installation) accepts quoted paths, this f.app does not. Simple solution may be to remember which form of %1 you skip (quoted or unquoted) and use this info for quoting filename in parameters. Or parse full line for executable/parameters and construct your parameters replacing %1 (or simply adding file if %1 is absent).
Idea: maybe ShellExecute(hnd,'edit',unquoted_filename,...) will work? I didn't try it.

3. I' ve said this already: in your toolbars all buttons has the same width, enough to get the longest caption. So with only one long caption toolbuttons may not feet one line. If you set Toolbutton.AutoSize:=true - it may look better.
And main toolbar setting font size in setup form may be applicable to other toobars (template list,quickstarter, sound/video image viewers, data tab). Maybe add checkbox 'Aplly to all toolbars'.

4. Icons customization. You use many icons. And lot of them are the same for different forms, toolbars and buttons. And many are diiferent when they have same meaning. So proposition:
Move ALL icons to one imagelist. And use it not only for toolbars/trees etc. but for bitbuttons also. Maybe put this list (or group of list by task) to special unit and maintain list of named constants for icons. File icons.ini should be build from this list.

5. Losing focus after minize/restore lives. Tray or no tray. Reproduced on two XP's and one Vista. So - later. Maybe 'BringToFront'?

6.Very minor. When you change language in setup form you reload texts but not reset charset, so not all texts are readble.

BTW, have you seen:Delphi 2009 (already released) has builtin Unicode? And next year roadmap states for win64.

Attachments

• Filename
    Russian.ini
    File size
    72.79 KiB
    Downloads
    333 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 463 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi skatz,

thank you for your updated language file.

1. Drag&Drop to data panel: On my system drag&drop to the data panel is working! Ok, not to the panel (which host the "Create data folder" button) itself, but to the TreeView and the ListView controls on the panel. And yes, files dropped on the ListView are copied to the currently opend folder (also images etc.) and files dropped on the TreeView are copied to the folder they are dropped on. If this is not working for you, please tell me what you have done / steps to reproduce the behavior.

2. 'Open in text editor' in QuickStarter: Changing this will take some time and I'll have little time this weekend. I will try to finish a second release candidate including an improved 'Open in text editor' function by the middle of next week.

3. Toolbars buttons: All buttons are now AutoSize and font size applys to all toolbars now.

4. Icon customization: I have added this to my 0.7.0 todo. Making the icons in the program more logic / consequent and improving the customization is a good idea.

5. Losing focus: I'm already using SetForegroundWindow(Handle) since beta 2. And on my system with this everything is fine. But now I have added an Application.BringToFront. I hope this will also solve the problem of loosing the focus when restoring the windows for you.

6. Changing charset in setup dialog: I forget so set the new charset for the subframes, fixed.

Not to forget:

Hi Neville,

having some more auto setup templates in DFR would really be great. The easiest way of creating auto setup templates is opening the template editor, going to to auto setup tab and clicking on Add|Add from profile. The added auto setup templates can be found in C:\Users\you\D-Fend Reloaded\AutoSetup. While creating auto setup templates from profile all private, not needed information is removed. So the templates contain all relevant information for running the game (DOSBox configuration, game file name, checksum, meta information) but no private information (path to the game file on your system, path to the data folder and the capture folder on your system etc.).

Greetings and have a nice weekend
Alexander

Reply 464 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There you go.

BTW, the option to create autosetup templates it's a bit hidden, isn't it? Don't you think the File --> Export menu is a more intuitive place?

Attachments

• Filename
    AutoSetup.zip
    File size
    54.72 KiB
    Downloads
    376 downloads
    File comment
    Some more autosetup templates.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 465 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys!

@Neville
You're right the option for making auto setup templates should be more on-sight. After all it's an important feature in DFR.

@Alexander
One thing about creating templates: with 'Templates' dialog open when I choose Templates/Add/Template from profile DFR displays 'Select profile' dialog - OK. But when I do the same for Auto setup templates/Add/Template from profile it opens 'Uninstall programs' dialog. No selected programs are uninstalled (fortunately:-)) when I click OK.

Reply 466 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I have the latest Version = Release Candidate 1.

I have some question =

I explain =

1) I cant made it by default maximized = Then where is the option to made D-Fend Reloaded, each time maximized.

2) My laptop have a video mode, of 1440 by 900. It mean that each time i enter D-Fend Reloaded, it have a "verry little windows centered".

3) It dont remember the size of the window, after i press the "File | exit, and also "the upper right x button".

4) Have think to support, the video mode 1440 by 900, in your center option ? I have a near 4 inch by 4 inch window centered, each time i start D-Fend Reloaded, also even if quit a dos game. But it is centered.

-------------
Also, ...

You have some download package, in you normal release download section, that are old = i mean the download of game pack, do you think to add or update games pack and utility pack, soon ?
-------------

Thanks in advance, ...
Please respond me soon as possible, ...

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand

Reply 467 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!

1. Export to zip module: function CopyFileWithMsg does not create directories. So icon can not be copied (and some other files maybe).

2. Screenshot/audio/video tabs popup menu - refresh and import items are enabled with no game selected.

3.When running game with empty capture folder you get message 'Unable to create directory'. You may get such profile by importing another profile or simply erasing capture folder path in editor. Opening this profile in editor shows default '.\capture' value.

4. Dragging files to data tab. It do not work at all. Today I've installed Delphi 2007 and tried to compile DFR. And you know what? It works. Under IDE. But running DFR (just compiled) standalone have same results - dropping files do not work.
As I understand on FormCreate needed controls handles are not created yet. I try to move ViewFilesFrame.Init to FormShow event - and it works.
I've seen such effect already in VCL5 - some handles was not created before control was realy shown. Controls on pagecontrol tab received handles only after their page was shown (FormShow was not enough).

And about window restoring and focus: also without IDE effect is always present, in IDE - sometimes. 😉 For now I have no solution, sorry.

And some more words about icons customization: you may have same icons for different tasks (e.g. opened folder [object], open folder [action], explore folder), but putting them in one place (form,list) will show you when this is done for purpose.

Reply 468 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@sst:

1) I cant made it by default maximized = Then where is the option to made D-Fend Reloaded, each time maximized.

3) It dont remember the size of the window, after i press the "File | exit, and also "the upper right x button".

Program settings/User interface.

Reply 469 of 2280, by Lord_Rius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1) Hi, when i add the scumm game Gobliiins in multilingual version, in d-fend scummvm settings language, it does not seem nothing, i can't change the language of the game.
But if i start manually scumm and select the gobliiins folder appears me every language and version of the game detected. I compare the scumm.ini created and the the correspondig .prof file of the game and change manually in language=xx, and works fine. Why D-Fend don't recognize very well the languages of the games? I think wizard of adding a game in ScummVM is very useful. Why not add the wizard of ScummVM to D-Fend.

2) In DOSBox images mounting in image files types, there are only iso and img, why not add more types instead go to change to all files (.cue, .bin...)

Reply 470 of 2280, by Lord_Rius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I Installed GR-Lida, another DOSBox, ScummVM & VDMSound Launcher, and i see the wizard of scumm games and is good looking, a window with all scumm games and the % compatibility, also are divided in engine emulated groups. I think would not be bad to add something thus for D-Fend. And why not add VDMSound support for D-Fend, think about it Alexander.

dibujoey6.jpg

Reply 471 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The thing with VDMS is, how many people still use it? It's no longer being developed, and Windows versions starting with Vista won't allow fullscreen DOS programs.

It's a good program, and it was very useful before DOSBox had its speed boost at v0.70, but since then it has become obsolete.

Reply 472 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alexander!

About Gobliiins Lord_Rus is right. Although this is not mentioned in ScummVM readme, it supports language selection for goblins (english, german, french, spanish and italian). Please , add this list to gob engine.
And you may (next release) add option to select any language (irrelevant to engine) for scumms.

And about cd-images: added .CUE extension to image selection dialog would be good, 'cause this is only non-iso image type usable by DOSBox. As for .bin - there too many files with this extension, that are not images.

ADDED:
In adding wizard on game info page: when I press 'Search info' button it does not pass game name to search http link.

Reply 473 of 2280, by sst

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, ...

I have the latest Version = Release Candidate 1.

I have DosBox = CVS Build 10 october,

from = http://www.aep-emu.de/cvscompile/

-------------
I have found a bug, ...

Maybe in D-Fend Reloaded, and/or DosBox. CVS Build 10 october.

=

(In D-Fend Reloaded) = When i change the cpu cycle, in processor value, for a game "in example 10000". And after i run that game = it dont change the value in the game window text upper. This mean it keep 3000 cpu cycle, even if i select in D-Fend Reloaded (cpu cycle), value 10000.

The bug, must be in D-Fend Reloaded.

(In a dosbox game, after i select a game in D-Fend Reloaded.) = The F11 and F12 key, change the value and it display correctly.

----------
(Update)

Some test that i have made =

Ok, after some try, on some dosbox cvs build, and final version = 0.72.

It seam that it is related in the CVS build.

Even if i change in "dosbox.conf", in the dosbox directory, without run D-Fend Reloaded, it make the bug.

Please test, in "dosbox.conf"

cycles=9899

---
I will also try to recreate the file = "dosbox.conf".
-------------
(Update)

I have recreate the "dosbox.conf", inside the cvs build 10 october 2008. with the command line =

config -writeconf dosbox.conf

--------

After i see in the file "dosbox.conf", cpu section =

[cpu]
# core: CPU Core used in emulation. auto will switch to dynamic if available and appropriate.
# Possible values: auto, dynamic, normal, simple
# cputype: CPU Type used in emulation. auto is the fastest choice.
# Possible values: auto, 386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch
# cycles: Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond. Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags. Cycles can be set in 3 ways:
# 'auto' tries to guess what a game needs.
# It usually works, but can fail for certain games.
# 'fixed #number' will set a fixed amount of cycles. This is what you usually need if 'auto' fails.
# (Example: fixed 4000)
# 'max' will allocate as much cycles as your computer is able to handle
#
# Possible values: auto, fixed, max
# cycleup: Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
# cycledown: Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

-----
When i enter fixed 10000, in the cycles line = It work.

=

cycles=fixed 10000

-----
Then in conclusion, the cvs build have the option added "cputype= "and "cycles=fixed"

Thanks in advance, ...
Please respond me soon as possible, ...
----------------------------------------------------------------
Sylvain St-Amand

Reply 474 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alexander!
I think that sst's case is more simple.
Cpu speed combo im modern profile editor is always enabled, irrelevant to cycles type radiobuttons. So you may select some value in combo with radiobuttons set to auto or max. If you select value radibutton - specified cyles value is setted as it should be.

Reply 475 of 2280, by oolie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sst wrote:

(In D-Fend Reloaded) = When i change the cpu cycle, in processor value, for a game "in example 10000". And after i run that game = it dont change the value in the game window text upper. This mean it keep 3000 cpu cycle, even if i select in D-Fend Reloaded (cpu cycle), value 10000.

The bug, must be in D-Fend Reloaded.

(In a dosbox game, after i select a game in D-Fend Reloaded.) = The F11 and F12 key, change the value and it display correctly.

Keep in mind that you also have to manually check "Value" option when changing CPU Cycles. If not, DFR will use "Auto" option no matter the value for CPU Cycles you chose. Although it would be a good idea for DFR to automatically check "Value" when changing CPU Cycles. Maybe in 0.7.0?

Reply 476 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Neville
Thank you for your templates. I'm not quite sure if File|Export is the right place for exporting templates because the File menu is for things in the main window and the templates are not listed in the main window. But I'll think about this in for the next release.

@oolie
I have already noticed this while creating some new templates the last days. This will be fixed in RC2.

@sst (first time)
As oolie already said: You can set up the initial window state in the program settings dialog on the user interface page.

@Lord_Rius
My information source for the ScummVM special settings is the ScummVM readme. If you know ScummVM is supporting some more things not listed in the readme, make me a list and I can add this things in the next version.

The last time I used cue and bin images was when trying to burn CD under pure DOS. And because DFR was written to fullfil my needs, I have just added iso and bin in the file selection dialog. But you can also add cue or bin file based drives via DFR (just select "All files" in the file selection dialog box. I will look at the by DOSBox supported images formats in the next version a bit more closely.

I'm not supporting VDMSound exactly for the reasons Neville said.

I do not see much sense in showing the compability level in the wizard. If you want to add a game, you want to add it. Additionally changing the dialog like this (grouping the games etc.) would take some time and at the moment I have very little time.

@sst (second time)
I will change this in the profile editor.

Reply 477 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!
May you add in scummvm editor to joystick selector an option 'do not use' as in CD-ROM selector (and maybe set it in wizard to off). I have an issue with Gobliiins and my joystick - scummvm closes without warning if started directly by gameid and not through menu. (And if I attach another USB joystick it's number is changing, so I don't know what number to omit.)

Reply 478 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi skatz,

just a little status update:

Problems fixed:

• Using parameters from registry ("%1" or %1) when opening editor for files.
  • Export to zip module: function CopyFileWithMsg does not create directories. So icon can not be copied (and some other files maybe).
  • Screenshot/audio/video tabs popup menu - refresh and import items are enabled with no game selected.
  • When running game with empty capture folder you get message 'Unable to create directory'.

Things still on my todo:

• Dragging files to data tab.
  • Your PM about focusing the main window.

Added to my todo for 0.7.0:

• Icons customization.
  • Improve joystick selector in ScummVM profile editor.

So I haven't forgotten your remarks, but I'm very busy this week.

Reply 479 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

I've just finished the second release candidate of D-Fend Reloaded 0.6.0. You can find it as usual on the beta download page. I really hope there will be no new bugs so I can release the final version of 0.6.0 in a few days.