VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 680 of 53082, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't managed to find a driver for that Reelmagic card yet. But I pulled the small daughterboard off and found this....

IniDv.jpg

A yamaha OPL chip??? strange... this might be an integrated sound card as well....

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 682 of 53082, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have that exact same video card! I used it for a LONG time in my server! Its a quite capable little card!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 683 of 53082, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

Haven't managed to find a driver for that Reelmagic card yet.

I don't recall where I found these, but here you go. You'll want to install the 111 drivers prior to applying any of the later versions.

http://www.symphoniae.com/misc/reelmagc.zip

But I pulled the small daughterboard off and found this.... a yamaha OPL chip??? strange... this might be an integrated sound card as well....

The ReelMagic card supports 8/16-bit PCM playback, and is Sound Blaster (2.0) compatible. It's a pretty decent almost-all-in-one device - They should have just gone all-out and thrown on an SVGA chipset... 😀

rm_opl2db.jpg

Reply 684 of 53082, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! thanks very much. I'll just have to make up a ribbon cable for the feature connector and I'll see if I can watch movies on my 386 😁

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 685 of 53082, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Two retro video cards. Radeon 9100 PCI 128mb (finally!) and BFGTech GeForce 6200 PCI OC 256mb $37 shipped for the pair. Would have preferred the 6200 had 512mb, but for the price I really can't complain and with a card as slow as the 6200, even factory overclocked, the benefit of more memory is highly debatable. In a PCI only Win98 machine you're probably not going to have a lot of games that would demand that much memory, anyway.

Reply 687 of 53082, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

miroSOUND PCM12

c6990da4340a69392bd5ce730ddaecba16159.jpg

Sound card which is rather hard to find especially boxed with software and drivers
mirosound_pcm12.jpg

My retro sound card collection
http://retrosoundcards.wordpress.com/

Reply 689 of 53082, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a GF4 MX 460 for a reasonable price. Got it for half of what the last few that I saw were listed for. Figured I better grab it because another might not come along at that price for a long time. Was like $13.50 shipped instead of the $25-$30 I usually see them being listed for. Of course now that I have one, someone will list one for $5. That's how it always is.

Reply 690 of 53082, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Woo Hoo! So happy. My 128mb Radeon 9100 PCI arrived today and the first thing I did was cross check the part number on the memory chips and it cross references to a 250mhz speed so this card IS the Visiontek Xtasy card I was hoping for which is the only one I have found specs for that uses the 250mhz RAMs called for by ATi's reference design. Most of the others use 200mhz memory and a few used even slower memory than that to keep the price down. Visiontek also used a black PCB that I have never seen used on any other 9100 PCI but I wasn't sure if anyone else might have used that color hence the verification of the RAM numbers. The others I have seen were all green or red except for Gigabyte, which was blue.

Here's a pic of the 64mb Visiontek card from the internet. The 128mb card looks identical.

V261-3012w.jpg

Reply 691 of 53082, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got myself a new 386 motherboard today. I like poking fun at the ebay sellers that list items for $100+ and let them sit for years, so occasionally I offer one a "reasonable" price and I've always been turned down.

Until today. I just "won" this board for $15: www.ebay.com/itm/390152642472

I don't NEED it. I feel kinda bad, but it does have eight more ram slots than my current 386 so I figure if it works, I'll use this new board and sell the old one. I also got one of these for $12 http://www.ebay.com/itm/200500095020 It was another item I threw a low-ball bid on and won. 😜 Its okay though, I have an iomega clik drive that I can use to transfer files between my 386 and laptop. Or whatever. Who knows.

WOO HOO!!!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 692 of 53082, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice score on the 386 board! I'll be looking to building one when I get my other projects settled.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 693 of 53082, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a Palm TX at a thrift shop for $10 today. At Starbucks toying with it on this site right now. Pic when I get home I get home later.

With wifi, the ability to play music and hardware powerful enough to run various emulators, this thing is like a gameboy on steroids. To increase usefulness, I installed a patch that replaced the Graffiti 2 handwriting system with the original Graffiti.

EDIT: Pic
001.jpg

Reply 694 of 53082, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just got in the mail a Real3D Starfighter PCI 24mb!! Check off one more holy grail video card from my want list. I offered the seller half what he was asking and he accepted, though I probably still paid too much, but when did you last see one of these for sale? I felt the expense was worth not waiting around for years for another one just to save a few bucks.

Reply 695 of 53082, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got my 2 boxed Gravis Ultrasound Extreme cards 😜

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 696 of 53082, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not much, but today I bought a second hand serial scroll mouse 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 697 of 53082, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NEC_T128.jpg

NEC t128 SCSI 8bit card for my XT computer

I have tested it and working perfect, only need an seperate
terminator, because the harddisk doesnt have one..

IBM 80 MB SCSI harddisk for my XT computer..
ibm_wds-l80.jpg

second set of Philips CMS SAA 1099p chips

Burst pipe coast module..

TOP853 eprom programmer.

12 PCS TI TMS2764-20JL Eproms.

2PCS of ST 64K EPROM M2764A-2F1

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 698 of 53082, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

Philips CMS SAA 1099p chips
TOP853 eprom programmer.
12 PCS TI TMS2764-20JL Eproms.

Let us all know how you go!

Reply 699 of 53082, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

how go on what??

About my XT computer?? Iam still working on it.. But first iam going to collect the stuff and testing them before i will post my build here on this forum..

Its not easy to find good stuff these days.. You need to test it before you can use.. And if an eprom is bad i need fix that to. Otherwise i wouldnt have a working system after all..

The things thats are bin done..

Motherboard (thinking of placing an co processor aswell for the vintage historical..)

The motherboard have 1024KB of memory installed (hardcore) (i know it would only use 640KB after all) But maybe i can use it as EMS mem.)

Only need parity mem chips. (i know i dont need them to use it as game computer.. But when installed those chips, its more a complete system)(and i like that)

I have an working XT keyboard over here. Want to find some more as spare ones.. You never have enough of them..

VGA 8-bit do i have over here and its in working shape..
But i want to have an EGA or CGA card.. (have to go find an 9 pin color monitor as well.)

I have mount a new 1.44 TEAC floppy drive.. The other one was dead..

And using an temporary 1.2MB 5,25 inch floppy drive.. Ill go buy an other one that matches the case. The TEAC iam going to use on an other system.

Iam thinking of using the Soundblaster 1.5 CT1320C on the system.. If this is useless ill stick an other one in i think..

The harddisk and NEC t128 controller is working, but only need to buy some Internal 50 pin terminators.

So the system is almost running..

Iam think of using an tape drive in it for make backups of the harddisk..

Few days ago i played some games on this system. Like elevator, paratrooper, tapper.. Those games i have played in the 80s when my dad bought are first Headstart VENDEX EXPLORER XT computer..

It doesnt had an harddisk at all, but you could buy an miniscribe in that time, but was very expensive.. I know it only could read 720KB floppy disks.
Had ms-dos 3.31 on the system, and you need to boot it from floppy disk..

The monitor was an yellow monochroon display.. 🤣

Last edited by Robin4 on 2011-11-18, 01:21. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~