VOGONS

Are there other S3 Trio64 V2 Drivers Available?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2021-02-26, 21:40:

one difference between 95 and 98 is how the swap file and vcache are managed; if you have a lot of RAM installed (even just >32mb, according to some), it's usually said to set 95 to manually limit the vcache size because it can grow quite large and take a lot of memory away from programs to use. you can install system monitor from the windows install cd (add programs -> components -> accessories, i think) to check what your "faulty" win95 installation is doing in terms of things like this, and also cpu load; just note that the cpu load measurements are broken under win98 ACPI installs.

Finally feel like tackling this issue again. I'll check the vcache in system.ini in a bit.

Reply 21 of 23, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.putergeek.com/vcache/

I just followed this guide and no, it didn't fix it...

Looks like I'll try reinstalling Windows (without formatting) pretty soon.

Reply 22 of 23, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just finished reinstalling Win95 and testing some games. The issue seems to have gone away! I played through the entirety of Virtua Cop (my first time ever beating it, actually) and a fair bit of Croc and Atlantis and never noticed any of that annoying jittering whatsoever. Guess I should make an image of the drive soon. I do wonder what caused that issue in the first place.

Reply 23 of 23, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good that you managed to fix it. I wonder what triggers it.

YouTube