VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrotechrestoration wrote on 2024-03-03, 00:57:
I have some good news and some bad news. […]
Show full quote

I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news it I plugged the card into my DTK Data-1000 XT clone and it appeared to work, albeit with an incorrect color palette .

The bad news is I have a TL866II and it doesn't support PAL chips...only GAL/CLD/PCLD.

I do have a MEGA 2560 arduino, but setting up the PALDump board will take some time. I'll let you know if I get it working.

hello my friend. anything about that PAL? and just in case, the EPROM too, please.

Reply 21 of 29, by retrotechrestoration

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kinetix wrote on 2024-03-12, 00:34:
well, I made some tests and I read several different PALs, GALs and PLDs with a Dataman-40Pro, all OK then I saw this. t this g […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2024-03-02, 23:22:

well, I made some tests and I read several different PALs, GALs and PLDs with a Dataman-40Pro, all OK
then I saw this.
t
this guy does an very simple adapter to read a PAL (16V8), as it was reading an EPROM.
maybe it cab be made a similar one for a different PAL/GAL /PLD for reading in a programmer that does not support some chip

I can't afford a Dataman-40 but I'll add it to my wish list. As far as the video, I just saw the link in the description and am looking at the instructions for building an adapter. They look much more complete than the arduino one.

Reply 22 of 29, by retrotechrestoration

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kinetix wrote on 2024-04-15, 01:50:
about the image in the wrong color, I have seen it happen other times. Even recently in a YouTube video of "Adrian Digital Basem […]
Show full quote

about the image in the wrong color, I have seen it happen other times. Even recently in a YouTube video of "Adrian Digital Basement" he had to try several motherboards so that the color was correct with a card he was testing.

I have already completed the work of putting all the missing components on the card, except the PAL and the 20Mohm resistor (I only have 2 of 10Mohm.... 5W Soviet S2-23-2 resistors, maybe connect them in series... . ha ha ha). There were also 3 diodes missing, the transistor (I used an equivalent BC548) and two other small ceramic capacitors. about the PAL, I wait for you, or another person who has this card and can dump its programming to replicate it. plus the EPROM, just in case.
One question, is that C50 really 270 pF? or 220 pF and you read it wrong?

finally. my card has what appears to be a postfactory fix. On the back it has a cut line and a bug wire. How is yours?

Attached is a photo of C50. According to this source (https://www.petervis.com/electronics/capacito … or-marking.html) it is 270 pF. Also attached are two photos of completely different bodge wires and resistors on my card. That seems to imply that our cards may be different in other ways. 🙁

Attachments

Last edited by retrotechrestoration on 2024-05-18, 01:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 29, by retrotechrestoration

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kinetix wrote on 2024-04-28, 16:21:
retrotechrestoration wrote on 2024-03-03, 00:57:
I have some good news and some bad news. […]
Show full quote

I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news it I plugged the card into my DTK Data-1000 XT clone and it appeared to work, albeit with an incorrect color palette .

The bad news is I have a TL866II and it doesn't support PAL chips...only GAL/CLD/PCLD.

I do have a MEGA 2560 arduino, but setting up the PALDump board will take some time. I'll let you know if I get it working.

hello my friend. anything about that PAL? and just in case, the EPROM too, please.

I'll have time to work on the techno-junk adapter next week. Meanwhile, here's a link to my dump of the eeprom which is labeled "VID U16 v1.3". https://www.retrotechrestoration.com/download … ID-U16-v1.3.bin

Reply 24 of 29, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thank you , thank you very much.

Not only did I put in the missing components (now I can safely also put in the 270pF capacitor), I also polished all the pins of the chips that are in sockets, as well as the contacts in the sockets themselves.

Since I depend on the good will and time of friends to be able to buy certain things that cannot be accessed from my country, I have lost several excellent CGA card deals, sometimes up to three bundled cards (video + FDD controller + RAM expansion) at a good price.

but in the next few days I will modify a 8-bit ISA "compatible" VGA to finally work a system that I am trying to resurrect.

Reply 26 of 29, by retrotechrestoration

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kinetix wrote on 2024-05-18, 02:14:

The guy does it for a PAL 16V8, maybe for the 20 you just have to connect the other input and output lines in the same way

I don't speak spanish and that video doesn't have closed captioning. Could someone translate?

Reply 27 of 29, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrotechrestoration wrote on 2024-05-18, 02:38:

The guy does it for a PAL 16V8, maybe for the 20 you just have to connect the other input and output lines in the same way

I don't speak spanish and that video doesn't have closed captioning. Could someone translate?

my language is Spanish.
But I won't transcribe what he says, I'll do it through an automatic system, I'll review it and then I'll translate it for you with Google Translate.

Reply 28 of 29, by retrotechrestoration

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On this and the techno-junk one, It looks like the 20pin PAL adapter seems to use all the inputs on the 27C20 reader socket. I'm not sure how a 24 pin PAL could be hooked up to it.

Reply 29 of 29, by kinetix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrotechrestoration wrote on 2024-05-21, 14:13:

On this and the techno-junk one, It looks like the 20pin PAL adapter seems to use all the inputs on the 27C20 reader socket. I'm not sure how a 24 pin PAL could be hooked up to it.

I suppose it should be done with a larger EPROM, but I have only found them with up to 19 address lines.
I think it doesn't work that way, or the necessary adapter would be something more complex.
I attach the subtitles of the video. I extracted them automatically and then translated them, also automatically. but the Spanish he speaks is with a lot of "Spanish" accent so the voice to text extractor has many errors, which I should fix all of them, but it is still progress

Attachments