VOGONS

First post, by Idaho_Spud

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I just discovered the joys of DOSbox and have copied all of my old DOS games into a file on my C: drive. All of them seem to work fine using the defaults except for one of them.

My system is a Micron. Intel 3.2 MHz with a PCI video adapter. Running Windows XP. Don't know much else about it. I don't think the system is the problem however.

The game I'm trying to run is "Future Magic - Sentinel Worlds". The game seems to start OK, because the box opens and the low-res message shows up saying "Please Insert Game Disk", and "Press Enter When Ready".

This tells me the program is running, but is now looking for a file.

I am able to get the game running using the floppy disks. I have to swap back and forth between the Data disk and Game Disk around in the A: drive.

The game disk simply has nothing in the root directory, and has only one directory on it called FMPLAY, which contains with the executable file, and a few others.

The Data disk has nothing but a directory called FMDAT with no executables in it.

I don't recall if these files are saved from an installation or not!!! They aren't original disks, and I don't have the original documentation. But like I said, it can be played from the floppies just fine.

Question: How do I tell the program to look for the needed Game Disk files on my C: drive? I've tried copying all the files from both floppies into a single folder on my C: drive, but I still get the "Please Insert Game Disk" message.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!!

Reply 2 of 3, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might want to try setting it up so the fmplay and fmdat are each in their own directory. And more specifically so that they are directly on the root drive.
That is c:/fmplay and c:/fmdat using the c drive as an example.