VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I've just downloaded all the updates for VDMS, plus the LaunchPad and its updates. My problem is this:

I used to own and play X-Com Apocalypse on my old Win95 machine. It played fine, as it should, until the disc was broken in an unfortunate dog-related accident.

Many years have passed, and I now run an WinXP machine, and I want to be able to play the game again. However, this time, since I don't have the disc, I had to download a copied version, and it uses several CD-emulation programs to simulate the CD-ROM. The game runs fine without VDMS, but it has no sound. I want sound! 😀 So I turn to my trusty VDMS, but alas, when I try to run the game, it says it cannot read drive E: (which it assumes is the CD-ROM drive that the game needs to run from -- but there IS no CD! That's the kicker!) My question is, how do I get the game to run, with sound, using VDMS? Is there a way to make it run each program individually to emulate the phantom CD-ROM drive? There is a batch file that is supposed to run each program individually, and here are the commands found within:

@echo off
xcom3_cd.com
fakecd . /L:E >nul
cd xcom3
xcomapoc.exe skip
cd..
fakecd /U >nul
xcom3_cd.com

I tried adjusting the compatibility of each of these files with the LaunchPad, but it doesn't work. Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ughhh...Who knows if that fakecd crap is compatible with NT? Try finding a CD crack for the game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So burn the files to a CD. You don't need an ISO. You might want to find out what that FAKECD switch is emulating so you can burn that copy protection onto the CD (if there is any).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 10, by Guest

User metadata

Well, I have x-com apocalypse ver win95, and a c-media pci audio legacy in my PIII 550 mhz. When installing the game recognize teh sound card like SB16, and pass the sound test. But, when game goes to tactical view (raid building or ufo) the program crashes. If I select "no sound" the tactical view works fine.

Somebody nows what can I do? please respond to my e-mail: pzainaec@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Reply 9 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FakeCD emulates a CD drive. Mount emulates a CD drive... It is something casual?

Try this:

@echo off
xcom3_cd.com
mount E: <xcompatch> -t cdrom
cd xcom3
xcomapoc.exe skip
cd..
rem fakecd /U >nul
xcom3_cd.com

I think that .bat file may cheat the copy protection...[/b]