segment or something like that) thus it doesn't really matter where the
code of dosbox (callbacks etc.) resides. Maybe even some 0x55 0xaa
is enough.

Reply 26 of 35, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are the I and E options to unconditionally include/exclude segments. Normally, EMM386 will autodetect if a given address is usable. On certain chipsets (and in DOSBox, it seems), that failed, and using an I=foo-bar will force EMM386 to consider that area "usable".

Reply 27 of 35, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:
1. mouse: a) try the mouse driver from here: Der Patrizier: Mouse Problems b) or try ctmouse http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/ […]
Show full quote

1. mouse:
a) try the mouse driver from here:
Der Patrizier: Mouse Problems
b) or try ctmouse
http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

Heh, those two worked even worse than TRMosue... MOUSE.COM even caused these peculiar palettes in QFG3 EGA graphics:

boot0058oj.pngboot0061fm.png

By the way, TRMouse does work in QFG3, I was wrong earlier; it doesn't work sometimes if a different mouse-using game was loaded before QFG3 though.
So, Countdown is the only problematic game out of the ones I tested, it appears.

2. ems:
try adding this parameter FRAME=E000 in the emm386.exe line

Qbix wrote:

and disable umb in dosbox.conf

When I do that, I get "WARNING: Option ROM or RAM detected within page frame." Even though this option gives 15296KB of available expanded memory, the game still crashes and gets corrupted.
I guess the noems option is the only one that works for now.
By the way, disabling or enabling umb in DOSBOX.CONF doesn't seem to make any difference.

Reply 29 of 35, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Big Red Adventure works perfectly when I use D=64
What do you think about setting D=64 as default in dosbox? Normally D=32 is default. You have already set files= and buffers= higher. Time for setting D= higher now 😀

Reply 31 of 35, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, I use a HDD image.

I have also noticed that intro always freezes (black screen) after the russian guy turns on the projector with Sound Blaster MIDI (with Adlib it is OK). This also happens on a real computer so I guess it is not a dosbox problem. I have tried underdogs version of the game and also a CD version of the game. Has anyone got a solution for that?

Reply 33 of 35, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have my vote for this rather annoying game intro, it would be nice to have a D=64 option without the need of installing real DOS in dosbox.

By the way, is there any reason why the CD version plays the MIDI tracks instead of the CD AUDIO tracks it has? Kind of odd...

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 34 of 35, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lonelines:
I suppose cd audio tracks are just for listening in your cd player.
I think Sam&Max also has cd audio tracks that are not used in game.

SirGraham:
I always use frameskip=0, and i don't think this option should affect this. Nevertheless it is good that it works for you. Maybe there is something broken with my versions of the game...

Reply 35 of 35, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lonelines:
Actually Big Red Adventure plays cd audio tracks for me, (some of them are midi/fm depending what you chose in setup) but most of them are cd. (There are about 60 audio tracks on the cd, so i guess if game has more of them the rest is played from midi/fm, but at least at the beginning almost everything is from cd.