VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I can see how to do this now. We should be able to have a single file that deals with this, a bit like a mapping file but different. Then adding this file to any texture pack, designed for a single TR version, will make it work with any version.

What's more, this same method could possibly be used to deal with the textures that are common between levels. So if you map Lara or the letters say in one level, you get them mapped in all levels for free.

It should also be possible to generate this mapping file automatically from Capture folders collected for the various game versions.

Reply 1 of 92, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder is there need to standardize the name of the textures, subfolders and folder where textures can be find or that was not necessary? 😕
When you will be finish that work?

Reply 2 of 92, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, looks like standardisation isn't necessary. Should work with any style of texture pack. Standardisation would be good though for other reasons, but not needed for this.

I think its only a couple of evenings work on Glidos, and another couple of evenings on the tool that generates the file from Capture folders. And we need to get hold of the capture folders, of course.

Don't think I will be able to look at this for a few days though.

Reply 6 of 92, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So if you map Lara or the letters say in one level, you get them mapped in all levels for free.

This will be super cool! My mind is aesthetc not analytical. I am more motivated by how things look than how things work. This will free up a lot of drudgery that has so far contributed to my low motivation for this project.

Superb!

Reply 8 of 92, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder how you will drive glidos to recognize textures from different levels as the same one?

one could use a search that compares textures based on overlaying them using a 'difference' filter (like photoshop and psp have ). any texture that was exactly the same as original would be completely black and the program could look for that as a signature .

Paul, as I understand it the the individual TR textures are generated from a co-ordinate map of the 256x256 "complete" texture.Since the generated folders 'names' (weird long filenames ) are different when capturing on normal or mip map but the individual texture co-ordinace remain the same (using the same version ) I assume that the folder (containing the"Complete" texture) is named by glidos based on some memory acess allocation, but that the individual texture co-ordinate is fixed due to the postion it is in in the "complete" texture.

Also I noticed in that the 'complete' texture which contains the shrieking mummy from your caves level (unmapped file) contains all the same textures as mine but in different absolute postions within the "compete" co-ordinate grid.

so , I am curious as to your approach on integrating .

right now the only caveat I can see in auto generating links between different versions is the bubbles. they all look the same but there is a slow medium and fast bubble ( all of mine are different ) . not that that is such a big deal ( although I did spend a while tuning my bubble effect:)

At any rate I can donate an older american version of TR if that helps you any . PLus i will put up the bmp's , although you could get a free download of gimp or PSP wich would auot translate teh .png's back to bmp's

Reply 9 of 92, by z9d10

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess I should clarify :

when looking at the individual textures file names it seems that the (xx--yy)(xx--yy) numbers directly correspond to the individual textures absolute co-ordinate postion within the "complete" textures 256x256 grid.

in other words , the file name seems to be defining the texture rectangle by the pinpointing two of the textures corners .

Reply 10 of 92, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

I guess I should clarify :
when looking at the individual textures file names it seems that the (xx--yy)(xx--yy) numbers directly correspond to the individual textures absolute co-ordinate postion within the "complete" textures 256x256 grid.

in other words , the file name seems to be defining the texture rectangle by the pinpointing two of the textures corners .

Yes that's it. Each texture is a subrectangle of Complete.bmp, and is given a name constructed from the coordinates of its rectangle.

Reply 11 of 92, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

right now the only caveat I can see in auto generating links between different versions is the bubbles. they all look the same but there is a slow medium and fast bubble ( all of mine are different ) . not that that is such a big deal ( although I did spend a while tuning my bubble effect:)

The equivalence file can be edited, so you can remove the bits that say the different occurences of the bubbles are the same.

Reply 12 of 92, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

At any rate I can donate an older american version of TR if that helps you any . PLus i will put up the bmp's , although you could get a free download of gimp or PSP wich would auot translate teh .png's back to bmp's

The task is a little harder than you realise. We need capture folders for the entirety of each game version. I think we are going to need to get help with this.

Reply 13 of 92, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uh,uh,uh. That gonna be a long process. 😵 Well if I understand you will find all of the identical textures in the game and allot them a common name.

Reply 14 of 92, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually its not that bad. Here's what you do:

Create your first level of textures in the usual way. You have to do a complete capture of that level with your own version of the game before you start (otherwise you don't know what names to give your replacement textures 😁 ). Don't worry about other levels. Don't worry about other versions. The only thing to remember is to keep a copy of the Captured folders somewhere.

Now, when you work on your second level, do a complete capture of the new level. But, before you start making replacement textures, copy the new captured textures in with the stored ones from the first level (so you are slowly building up a complete collection). Now run my generation tool over the combined folder of captured textures and it will give you an equivalence file. Install your texture pack for the first level with the equivalence file and run Glidos through the new level. You should then see that some of the textures are already mapped, and you just have to work on the rest.

When you release a texture pack, you will get someone complaining of it not working for their version of the game. Ask them to perform a complete capture for that level using their version and send you the result. You then add their capture folders into your collection, rerun the tool, and now you have a equivalence file that will make your texture packs work with their version of the game.

We can also trade capture folders, and slowly deal with the whole game.

Reply 15 of 92, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ooo, sounds all confusing again!

Will this tool work with differences such as the controller mesh/textures being arrow keys in some versions as opposed to a gameboy type box in others?

Reply 16 of 92, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
z9d10 wrote:

PLus i will put up the bmp's , although you could get a free download of gimp or PSP wich would auot translate teh .png's back to bmp's

That would be handy. Could do with them for testing. My translating your pngs back to bmp is no use: the translation has changed them slightly, so I get no matches. For you to translate them would of course be no use either. I hope you still have the originals.

Reply 17 of 92, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have something working to some degree. Attached is the tool that generates the equivalences files, and an updated version of Glidos that should be able to use the files. Also there's an example file generated from the Capture of the first two levels with the UB version of TR.

I've used this with Gambit's caves level, and when in Vilacabamba I see the high res letters and pastport, so things are looking hopeful. Untested as yet with a texture pack that uses mappings though.

Attachments

• Filename
    Glidos_v1_33rc1.zip
    File size
    357.82 KiB
    Downloads
    254 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 92, by Antonijadis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes it's works! 😁 Well nearly. 😒 Some textures didn't be copied. 😕 One question: How I can replace some textures that I don’t won't to look identical in every level?