DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

General information and assistance with DOSBox.

Re: DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Postby VileRancour » 2018-9-03 @ 19:49

Dynamically querying this stuff on-demand can't be the best approach. If websites keep getting huge amounts of pages scraped every time someone installs a front-end, it probably won't end well.

If the data is collected once and then distributed as a file (or multiple sets of files) which can be optionally downloaded as a front-end add-on, that might keep things sane. Like MAMEINFO.DAT / MESSINFO.DAT.
web  /   (NEW) blog   /   tube
VileRancour
Oldbie

Postby Yesterplay80 » 2018-9-04 @ 08:58

Metropolis Launcher, which supports various DOSBox versions as well, circumvents this problem by supplying a local database copy from MobyGames. The downside is a >200MB download an it takes up almost 800MB from your hard drive.
My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds (without debugger) for Windows: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Enhanced Community Edition)
Yesterplay80

Postby rcblanke » 2018-9-04 @ 16:39

VileRancour wrote:Dynamically querying this stuff on-demand can't be the best approach. If websites keep getting huge amounts of pages scraped every time someone installs a front-end, it probably won't end well.

If the data is collected once and then distributed as a file (or multiple sets of files) which can be optionally downloaded as a front-end add-on, that might keep things sane. Like MAMEINFO.DAT / MESSINFO.DAT.
I understand, but DBGL will only scrape game data for which the user explicitly requests information. Thus, usually only one, or a few page requests. Besides, I like the fact that the data is fully up-to-date when it is requested.

Yesterplay80 wrote:Metropolis Launcher, which supports various DOSBox versions as well, circumvents this problem by supplying a local database copy from MobyGames. The downside is a >200MB download an it takes up almost 800MB from your hard drive.
..And even that database does not contain any image data, so screenshots and cover-imagery will still have to be scraped anyway. :blah:
rcblanke
Oldbie

Postby VileRancour » 2018-9-04 @ 17:26

That 800MB-with-no-images is for much more than just DOS games though. Going by his numbers, for DOS+booters it would be maybe 100-120MB; keep it packed - 25-30MB.

Keeping things up to date could be a problem, yes, but I guess a maintained 'master' database like that could also be updated periodically as needed. *shrugs*
web  /   (NEW) blog   /   tube
VileRancour
Oldbie

Postby MK2k » 2018-9-04 @ 17:55

You're not really negotiating sizes of up to 1GB in this time and age, do you? :D

The moby.db (as a part of Metropolis Launcher's distribution) is updated with every major release. A full update is currently weighing in at approx. 10GB Traffic for mobygames.com (distributed over 80 hours of scraping, as it's non-multithreaded). However, differential updates are much more light weight. Major releases are to be expected every half year.

The moby.db of course does not contain image data, but it contains the actual links to the images. So besides mobygames.com's host, also the archive.org wayback machine can be accessed.

Having a local DB of meta data at hand is a big advantage if you use full sets with thousands of games and want to perform some in-depth filtering, data mining etc.

Btw. moby.db as well as Metropolis Launcher are open source, so feel free to use it in other projects too :D
Metropolis Launcher - DOSBox and Multi Emulator Launcher/Frontend | thread website
MK2k

Postby Ilovetifa » 2018-9-10 @ 18:14

spronkey wrote:
Ilovetifa wrote:Being the newbie linux user, I tried myself doing point 1 above using this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44118443/downgrade-open-jdk-8-to-7-in-ubuntu-14-04 and did point 2 by using this https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/05/fix-libpng12-0-missing-in-ubuntu-1804.html

But I am having trouble editing dbgl. My dbgl looks like this

#!/bin/sh
symlink=`find "$0" -printf "%l"`
cd "`dirname "${symlink:-$0}"`"
"${JAVA_HOME:-/usr}"/bin/java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar

No idea what to edit at all. Can somebody please teach me? Thank you. :blush: :blush:

This is what my dbgl file looks like now:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
export SWT_GTK3=0
symlink=`find "$0" -printf "%l"`
cd "`dirname "${symlink:-$0}"`"
#"${JAVA_HOME:-/usr}"/bin/java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar dbgl.jar

I commented out the original line by prefixing it with # just to keep it around for reference, and then added a new line that calls the openjdk8 java bin directly. If your distro installs openjdk8 somewhere else, you'll need to figure out where its binary is, but that is the location for Ubuntu 18.04-based distros.

I also had to install the libsdl-sound1.2 and libsdl-net1.2 libraries (sudo apt intsall libsdl-sound1.2 libsdl-net1.2 openjdk-8-jre will install all you need).

Happy DBGLing!

It worked! Figuring out the last line is what frustrated me for the past few weeks, I'm seriously considering dual boot just to run DBGL. No need to do that anymore. Thank you. Thank you.
Ilovetifa

Postby ANGO » 2018-9-14 @ 12:18

I do not want to be outrageous but I still have another small suggestion for improvement.
Would it be possible to add an option to sort the screenshots?

I´m using DBGL every day, it´s my favorite DOSBox gui.
ANGO

Postby rcblanke » 2018-9-17 @ 20:59

Hi Ango,

They should already be sorted alphabetically on filename. Does this not work for you?
rcblanke
Oldbie

Postby ANGO » 2018-9-18 @ 14:39

rcblanke wrote:Hi Ango,

They should already be sorted alphabetically on filename. Does this not work for you?

Yes it´s working fine.
I make my own Screenshots if I got no hits at Mobygames or other DBs.
If pictures are added later, for example covers they are at the end of the picture list. I like to have them first.
But that's my personal attitude ;)
ANGO

Previous

Return to DOSBox General