Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 880 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dont show all screenshots on the right side ? they show me many screenshots and cover arts but not all

Ah, I didn't realize it myself at first, but this is actually intended behavior. MobyGames displays a 'coreGameCover' on a game's Rap Sheet. DBGL then targets this image and grabs just the group of cover-art images from that Country/Region (which seems to be dynamic, probably on IP). I did this to prevent showing many duplicates (more or less) and refrain the list of images from becoming very long.

On the other hand, I can see why some users might want to see to whole list of cover-art files. So I've added a configuration setting, simply set 'force_all_regions_coverart=true' (under the [mobygames] section) in settings.conf.

Thus, another small update (0.73h):
* added aforementioned setting to grab all cover art images from MobyGames if wanted
* Spanish language translation update (Neville)

All the latest files

To upgrade, grab the dbgl.jar as usual.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 881 of 1968, by gbbbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks, it works fine, but you build in future dbgl a checkbox to used or not ?

btw how can play a game with more isos without to change every single iso ?

and pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeee add a option to run external programs !!! play some games with controller on the tv screen would be nice !!!

Reply 882 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I've updated my GamePackArchive with the second collection of freeware, shareware and demo games as reviewed by Kris Asick in his webshow called Ancient DOS Games, episodes 47 to 98. It contains the following games:

Abuse
Amulets & Armor
Animal Quest
C-Dogs
Cash Invaders
Catacomb
Catacomb Abyss 3-D, The
Caverns of Xaskazien
CD-Man
Crime Fighter
Cyberdogs
Electranoid
Excelsior Phase One: Lysandia (v2.0)
Galactix
Googol Math Games
Highway Hunter
Kosmonaut
Lacewing
MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
Moraff's World
Paku Paku
Reaping the Dungeon
Scorched Earth
SkyRoads
SkyRoads Xmas Special
Space Adventure
Star Quest I
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
TechnoVenture
Telengard
Ugh!
Visual Star Trek
X-COM: UFO Defense (a.k.a. UFO: Enemy Unknown)

Most are shareware/demo versions. Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Reply 883 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yet another small update (0.73i):

* fixed crashbug in add game wizard when no disk/cd-images were used
* fixed automount path in add game wizard when no disk/cd-images were used

All the latest files.

Reply 884 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gbbbs wrote:

thanks, it works fine, but you build in future dbgl a checkbox to used or not?

Likely, yes. It's just that I do not want to make any changes to the UI at this point in time.

gbbbs wrote:

btw how can play a game with more isos without to change every single iso?

Edit a profile and click on the mounting tab. Double-click on the imgmount which mounts your CD image, to open up the mounting dialog. Then when pressing 'browse..', the new window should allow you to select more than one file. Just hold shift or ctrl and click on the files that you want to use. All the selected files will show up in the "Mount CD Image(s)"-inputfield. Once you have the profile saved and the game asks for the next CD, press ctrl-F4 to cycle through the mounted CD images.

gbbbs wrote:

and pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeee add a option to run external programs !!!

I'll start working on that after the upcoming release is done. Can you explain a bit more what it is exactly that you need?

Reply 885 of 1968, by gbbbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

its like this :

2233434344s6kkf.jpg

so i can start programs like "xpadder" with commandlines: xpadder.exe "Profile 1" "Profile 2".

and after escape dosbox to kill the app that i startet before.

that would be realy great !!

and thank you cycle images works also great ! 😉

Reply 886 of 1968, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a suggestion: an option for, when showing screenshots as a column of the table, stretch them to a fixed width, so they have not different widths depending of the aspect relation of the image.

Reply 887 of 1968, by gbbbs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mgtroyas wrote:

Just a suggestion: an option for, when showing screenshots as a column of the table, stretch them to a fixed width, so they have not different widths depending of the aspect relation of the image.

agree, but leave it please as option 😉

Reply 890 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

DBGL 0.74 is released and available on the website, together with the new ADG gamepack. Please note that for upgrading an existing 0.73 installation, 2 new library files are necessary (see here).

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 891 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

Note 4: Some users have reported database-related issues, where it would seem that DBGL did not save new profiles. The most likely cause for this issue is that DBGL lacks the rights to save its database files. In that case, check if you're running DBGL from a folder below the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" folders. If so, move it to another location where UAC does not apply, for example C:\DBGL.

The issue isn't that DBGL won't save it's profiles, but that DBGL won't even start if launched from a folder with UAC turned on unless launched as administrator. If not started as admin, one just get's an error message about being unable to establish a DB connection.

Reply 893 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only when using my special build with the multi-floppy-mount patch.

kolano wrote:

The issue isn't that DBGL won't save it's profiles, but that DBGL won't even start if launched from a folder with UAC turned on unless launched as administrator. If not started as admin, one just get's an error message about being unable to establish a DB connection.

I've had contradictory reports, but you're correct, I'll have to rephrase this description a bit.

Reply 894 of 1968, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mgtroyas wrote:

Another suggestion related to screenshots on list view: with 5000 games in the list, DBGL spends a couple of minutes loading when running from a network drive. Instead of loading all the images in the list, some kind of dynamic loading while scrolling would be great.

I'm going out for a few days, I'll have to wait to test that new 0.74 version! 😀

Reply 895 of 1968, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had lot of problems with some DosBox profiles after updating to latest stable version. I've finally found the problem: dosbox executable name in profile is now case sensitive. I had my executables named "dosbox.exe" but I had to rename them to "DOSbox.exe" or I got an error both editing the profile or running it.

Reply 896 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

with 5000 games in the list, DBGL spends a couple of minutes loading when running from a network drive. Instead of loading all the images in the list, some kind of dynamic loading while scrolling would be great.

At first, this confused me a bit since delayed image loading is exactly what DBGL does; Only when actually rendering an entry is the image loaded. The actual cause of the problem is/was the determination of the so-called canonical directories in which the captures for the profiles are stored. Apparently, that causes a lot of network traffic with larger profile lists.

dosbox executable name in profile is now case sensitive. I had my executables named "dosbox.exe" but I had to rename them to "DOSbox.exe" or I got an error both editing the profile or running it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean; DBGL does not allow you to store the text 'dosbox.exe' anywhere. Just the path in which the DOSBox executable resides, and the configuration file for a DOSBox version can be entered. What do you mean exactly? And what OS are you using? What DBGL version did you use before you upgraded, that did not have this problem?

Hi all,

I'm back from vacation to the US! While there, I managed to do some coding for DBGL as well, but unfortunately lost all my changes due to a fatal hdd crash (click-of-death, aaargh 😳). Some changes I've now re-done in this new test-build. They are:

* Support for custom autoexec commands (see attached screenshot) so you can add arbitrary (DOS) commands at various stages during executing of DOSBox' autoexec section.
* Startup optimization by delaying determination of the canonical dir for captures when rendering the image-column, and somewhat improved caching of the images. (mgtroyas)
* added 'all regions' checkbox in settings dialog for MobyGames cover-art images. (gbbbs)
* implemented column image stretching, with or without respecting the original aspect ratio. The options are available in the settings dialog. (mgtroyas)

All the latest files.

and pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeee add a option to run external programs !!!

I had this more or less finished prior to my disk crash... Now for some more rewriting... 😒

Regards,
Ronald

Attachments

• cc.png
    Filename
    cc.png
    File size
    28.85 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    custom dosbox autoexec sections
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    yosemite.jpg
    File size
    252.92 KiB
    Downloads
    150 downloads
    File comment
    Vacation in California - Yosemite National Park
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 897 of 1968, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

with 5000 games in the list, DBGL spends a couple of minutes loading when running from a network drive. Instead of loading all the images in the list, some kind of dynamic loading while scrolling would be great.

At first, this confused me a bit since delayed image loading is exactly what DBGL does; Only when actually rendering an entry is the image loaded. The actual cause of the problem is/was the determination of the so-called canonical directories in which the captures for the profiles are stored. Apparently, that causes a lot of network traffic with larger profile lists.

You nailed it, now it loads as fast as if screenshots column wasn't showed on the list! I already knew DBGL did dynamic image loading, so I couldn't understand why it happened.

rcblanke wrote:

dosbox executable name in profile is now case sensitive. I had my executables named "dosbox.exe" but I had to rename them to "DOSbox.exe" or I got an error both editing the profile or running it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean; DBGL does not allow you to store the text 'dosbox.exe' anywhere. Just the path in which the DOSBox executable resides, and the configuration file for a DOSBox version can be entered. What do you mean exactly? And what OS are you using? What DBGL version did you use before you upgraded, that did not have this problem?

It was a false positive, I still have this problem after renaming the executable. I have three dosbox versions: vanilla located on "Dosbox-0.74" subdir, ykhwong's SVN located on "Dosbox-ykh" subdir, and vanilla SVN located on "Dosbox-SVN" subdir. If I run the first or third one, there's no problem. But if I select running ykhwong's, an error shows: "DosBox cannot run with this parameter: P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-ykh\DOSBox.exe - conf P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-ykh\dosbox.conf !".

If then I just edit the profile, and directly press OK, an error appears: "DOSBox executable "P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-ykh\DOSBox.exe" not found or is damaged". If then I click the browse button that allows to locate the conf file, select that file (it was already selected and with the right path) then I can press OK and no error arises. I can then run the profile or any game with that profile. But after exiting the game and running another, or simply restarting DBGL, the error arises again.

Note: P: is a network drive pointing to a shared folder on a NAS.

After many tests I'm beginning to think it's a Windows problem. But It started to fail just when updating to latest stable version. I'll do more tests but it's getting really difficult to understand. I'm using Windows 7 x64 SP1 and haven't reinstalled or upgraded it lately.

rcblanke wrote:

* implemented column image stretching, with or without respecting the original aspect ratio. The options are available in the settings dialog. (mgtroyas)

Also works as wanted. Thank you very much!

Last edited by mgtroyas on 2012-09-26, 22:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 898 of 1968, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seems DBGL can't find the executable... until I open the folder on Windows explorer an then Windows is aware of it! Don't think it's a DBGL Problem, but it's really strange. It's a new DOSBox version I just installed, not ykhwong's one. I need some sleep now.

Launching DBGL using 32-Bit VM 1.7.0_05 on Windows 7 v6.1x86, HSQL Database Engine 1.8.1.3, SWT v3740win32
Iniciando
P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-Fatman\DOSBox.exe -conf P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-Fatman\dosbox.conf -conf P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\profiles\FatmanTheCapedConsumer.conf
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-Fatman\DOSBox.exe" (in directory "P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\dosroot"): CreateProcess error=2, El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at org.dbgl.util.FileUtils.executeCommand(FileUtils.java:245)
at org.dbgl.util.FileUtils.doRunDosbox(FileUtils.java:264)
at org.dbgl.util.FileUtils.doRunProfile(FileUtils.java:415)
at org.dbgl.util.FileUtils.doRunProfile(FileUtils.java:399)
at org.dbgl.gui.MainWindow.doRunProfile(MainWindow.java:756)
at org.dbgl.gui.MainWindow.access$1400(MainWindow.java:60)
at org.dbgl.gui.MainWindow$28.mouseDoubleClick(MainWindow.java:1129)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.dbgl.gui.MainWindow.open(MainWindow.java:121)
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:38)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=2, El sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(Unknown Source)
... 15 more
Aviso: íDOSBox no puede arrancar con este parßmetro:
P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-Fatman\DOSBox.exe -conf P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-Fatman\dosbox.conf -conf P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\profiles\FatmanTheCapedConsumer.conf !
java.io.IOException: íDOSBox no puede arrancar con este parßmetro:
P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-Fatman\DOSBox.exe -conf P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\DOSBox-Fatman\dosbox.conf -conf P:\MS-DOS\DBGL\profiles\FatmanTheCapedConsumer.conf !
at org.dbgl.util.FileUtils.executeCommand(FileUtils.java:255)
at org.dbgl.util.FileUtils.doRunDosbox(FileUtils.java:264)
at org.dbgl.util.FileUtils.doRunProfile(FileUtils.java:415)
at org.dbgl.util.FileUtils.doRunProfile(FileUtils.java:399)
at org.dbgl.gui.MainWindow.doRunProfile(MainWindow.java:756)
at org.dbgl.gui.MainWindow.access$1400(MainWindow.java:60)
at org.dbgl.gui.MainWindow$28.mouseDoubleClick(MainWindow.java:1129)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.dbgl.gui.MainWindow.open(MainWindow.java:121)
at org.dbgl.gui.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:38)