VOGONS

Games Freeze

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Okay, I have looked throughout the board and haven't found a solution so I will try this.
I have:
ECS K7S5A MB
On board sound
256 mb ram
Win 2000
My problem is that when I load the games I get to the title screen then the game freezes. No sound at all. These games worked before I had to replace my motherboard but I don't think that is the problem. I am also trying to run these games from abandon loader. The games I have tried are Leisure Suit Larry 1, 2, 3, Police Quest 1,2,3, and Discworld. I have installed VDMS with all of the updates according to this board. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply 3 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered My problem is that when I load the games I get to the title screen then the game freezes. No sound at all.

Try configuring these to run with no sound at all (or choose PC Speaker if that option is not available). This is to see whether it is the audio that is related to the lockups, or if it is the games themselves.

In the meantime, you might try running the Sierra games using DosBox. Note that DosBox presumes you understand the basics of running DOS, (how to change directories, how to edit batch files or configuration files, etc...). If you don't, you might want to learn if you're going to use it..

Reply 6 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered The games all run if I reboot my computer in safe mode. I have an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX 200. Any ideas?

Without being able to physically access your PC, I wouldn't have any idea. I do think, however, that it may be a program that's breaking one of the OS's rules (as mentioned earlier: Ke386 and GIVEIO).

Is there any "custom" hardware on your PC, like a Playstation controller adapter? Sometimes some program authors will break the rules and give these things direct hardware access (a definite "no-no" on Win2000).

Also, we need to make sure you completely understand the search for "ke386". You're not looking for a file that has "Ke386" as part of it's name, but rather that "Ke386" appears as a string inside your files. You need to make sure it searches all .sys files, hidden or not.

The GeForce should have nothing to do with this unless you are using experimental or "hacked" video drivers.