VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On September 5th the Slovenian Ministry of Finance sent a note to all Slovenian ISPs demanding the blockade of 2 internet sites:

https://www.bwin.com
http://www.bet-at-home.com

The demand has no legal stand under Slovenian or EU laws but it does include a threat for non-compliance: The ISP will be prosecuted for providing illegal gambling service on the territory of Slovenia.

I myself would use such a threat letter to wipe my (well, depends on what kind of a paper it is printed on 😁)...but surprisingly most major ISPs complied with the demand! I couldn't care less for some online gambling site (never used one, probably never will), but this is against EU directive of free information flow and drops our country directly in line with China and it's great firewall. I might add this is not the first occurrence of such a state action against internet providers. In 2003 some UDBA documents found their way to the net and the site was quickly blocked by the government. Since this only fueled the downloading of documents through proxies and p2p services I find such blockades completely useless.

Now that we are a part of EU, I really feel this should be fought on as many levels as possible. The EU should really press our government and stop this stupid nonsense. Or maybe Google will be next on the list?

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 3, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree with you that blocking of internet content does violate civil rights, and the actions taken by the Slovenian government are disproportionate in this case.
But I don't think that calling for EU intervention based on the directive of free information flow would help, since EU law lacks guidelines how to act in such a case (same with other areas concerning information technology and new media, like software patents, copyright and data privacy).

The case of bwin.com currently is very present in Austrian media, since the French police arrested two leading managing board members of bwin.com (which is an Austrian company), they're accused of breaking gambling monopoly laws. Though many agree that a state controlled monopoly on gambling is necessary, the arrest is discounted as overreaction and is believed to be only an attempt to keep up the revenues of the state-owned gambling companies.

According to a judgement by the EU court of justice, prohibiting internet betting sites is illegal except on demand of public interest. This could be a way to invoke to EU actions against the Slovenian government, but I fear that the directive of free information flow is not much more than a hollow promise at the moment.

Btw, I just returned from a vacation in Slovenia. I was much impressed by the beauty of the Triglav national park. 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden was the next country to ask ISP to block access to foreign gambling sites - and for ISP's to blindly follow through.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions