First post, by charlie3
I use an old CAD package Tango PCB and SCH made in 1992. I have been trying to get it to work on Win XP. DOSBox got me closer to working. Here's my issues....
1. tango will work in 640x480 vga mode, with or without dosbox.
2. without dosbox, tango will give error if trying to use any of tango's vesa drivers, Graphics Driver incompatible with hardware.
3. with dosbox, tango will work using tango's vesa800 driver in 800x600 16 color mode.
4. with dosbox, Using Tango's vesa1024 driver (1024x768x16color), screen is messed up...top third of screen overlays bottom third, but the info that is supposed to be in the bottom third is there also. see attached picture of screen.
5. with dosbox, using tango's vesa1280 driver, get an error, Initialization Error, Graphics Driver incompatible with hardware.
I have tried several of the video card specific drivers (like Trident1024) and if they load at all, the display is like the attached picture except overlaid so many times it is unreadable.
I tried getting the latest dosbox build, but it gives me errors that various dll's are missing when starting dosbox (LIBPNG13.dll missing). But going back to the January 8th build, it will run, and I get same results #3, #4, #5 above. I initially tested with 0.65.
I would really like to run 1280 resolution, but 1024 would be ok. Any suggestions on what to do to get vesa working? Should I be looking somewhere else other than dosbox to get XP to do this directly, since it will do the 640 vga mode?
I used to run vesa1280 on a Pentium II 300Mhz, Win 98, Trident 3D image 9750 4MB video card with no troubles.
Now trying to get it to work on an Acer Aspire 9500 series laptop, 9503EWSMi, Celeron M 370, 1.5Ghz, 400Mhz FSB, 1MB L2 cache, 17"WXGA TFT LCD, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 series (915GM/GMS, 910GML Express chipset) set to use 64MB of RAM, total of 1G DDR2 RAM, Windows XP PROfessional.