VOGONS

First post, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok the problem is not new. it was reported since dosbox 0.65 here.
in short words:
when starting the game with both soundfx (SB, GUS) and music (GM, roland) enabled the intro playes fine, but the game hangs on the title screen. it only works when you choose a soundcard as midi source in setsound.exe that didnt use the mpu401 interface of dosbox (soundblaster / gus midi) i think.

i've used default dosbox v0.71 and 0.70 for testing and my copy of hi-octane is a international cd version patched with the extra content update.

ok i've tryed all different combinations in the setsound.exe to get good quality music with soundfx, but no chance. i only found out, that the game starts with general midi or roland when soundfx is set to "none".

some other things i've tryed:
-playing with the sound settings in dosbox.conf
-updated the sound drivers with this one
-replaced dos4gw with dos32/a
-using latest ykhwong build with mt32 emulation

nothing worked and iam out of ideas...

it would be nice if someone else can test this and confirm the issue.
maybe it is only a problem with some versions of hi-octane because it is listed as fully supported here.

Last edited by SysGOD on 2007-09-23, 16:46. Edited 1 time in total.

sysprofile.png

Reply 2 of 5, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested this and got the same problem - I only tested it in Windows Vista 64 though but it's definately a problem. I tried everything I could think of too - I don't have the original CD version (well I do, but can't seem to find it) so had to make do with a version I downloaded though so it's probably not version related. I wonder if the game had this problem on a real PC too.

Reply 3 of 5, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks guys. i found the demo version on an old game magazine cdrom and this one works with soundfx (sb16) and music (general midi). with roland mt-32 the game starts but has no music ingame. could be a limitation from the demo.

i'll do some further testing...

sysprofile.png

Reply 5 of 5, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

sry iam a bit late for a reply here...
anyway, i had some time this weekend to complete my retro pc. a good old P3-450 with a riva TNT, a AWE64 gold and of course two voodoo2 SLI. 😉
the first game i tested was hi-octane under win98.
i set soundfx to sb16 and midi to awe32/general midi which worked perfectly.
after that, i changed midi output to mt-32/general midi and it shows the same symptoms described above under dosbox (freeze in title screen).
the only difference was, that the game tries to access the floppy drive for some reason. it also shows a "drive not ready" error if no disk is insert. this could be conform with the error wd found with the debugger.
i first thought that it could be a file missing problem, but all necessary stuff is copied to the HD after installation. using the aweutil (set to mt32/gm) under real dos makes also no difference.

well that makes me think, that the full version of hi-octane (patched or unpatched) never worked with this combination of soundcards.
maybe its a bug in the hioctane.exe, but definitively no dosbox problem...
the only hope i see for dosbox users, whould be the support of the awe32/general midi interface.

if someone has some ideas or a workaround, feel free to post your thoughts here.

sysprofile.png