VOGONS

Common searches

Doom Issues (well, issue)

Topic actions

Reply 29 of 42, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two more things: I finally got a USB flash drive 😁 and I'm putting all my games on it: where's the save file? (Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doomsday, snowberry)

and I'd like to know about booting to DOS from a flash drive (I've been meaning to try it but I keep forgetting)

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 31 of 42, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks; I'm going to just try to boot from it the way it is before I try all that (I have Win95's DOS on it and it's FAT formatted).

How to become a hacker

Reply 32 of 42, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I set it to boot from the flash drive and it said "Disk Error", which brings back less than fond memories of many floppies. I really don't want to put a whole CD on it, and I'd like to stick with Win95 DOS.

How to become a hacker

Reply 33 of 42, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just put the boot record and ms-dos files (<1,5MB) in it to do some tests. Keep in mind that you need bios support to be able to boot from usb. Not all bioses allow this.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 34 of 42, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first boot device was already set to "Removable", so I don't know if that works; I set the "Hard Drive Boot Priority" to the flash drive first and then the HDD and it tried to start from it but said "Disk Error" and all of the files (IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM) are on it.

How to become a hacker

Reply 35 of 42, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know because my bios doesn't offer that option. I have never booted from usb flash drive. Try looking in your mainboard's manufacturer site for faqs or something.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 36 of 42, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just realized this is getting off topic. Maybe you should split it off, although I'm still waiting for the name of the save file(s) (I knew it [or them] once, but that was a few years ago). Now I just thought again about what you said about the boot record; do you know a good program for extracting boot sectors or where I can find boot sector images?

I just actually looked into the referenced program (the link was a tiny floppy icon) and it looks promising. I'm formatting (DOS boot formatting) it right now. It seems strange that it's taking so long (especially since it's USB 2.0 and my computer is new), but beggers and choosers. 😀

OK, it's formatted and I'm about to try booting from it. :hopeful: 😉

How to become a hacker

Reply 37 of 42, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've successfully booted to Win95 DOS from a USB stick! 😁 😎 If anyone has suggestions for dual-booting (I've been researching NTLDR and I think I'm going to use it) or more than 2 OS's, please.
I'm still waiting for the name of the file(s) Doom saves are in.

How to become a hacker

Reply 38 of 42, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found the save files (DoomSavN.dsg) and I got Doom running from the flash drive and it turns out I can just set the mouse wheel like keys or the mouse buttons and it was all working fine, but for some reason all of a sudden my saved game dissappeared. I restored it from the HDD and now when I try to load it something weird happens: the last screen contents start to fade and the shimmer effect starts and then the screen just freezes. I can still access the menus and get out and it doesn't happen when I start a new game. I'm going to try checking it (ScanDisk or whatever they call it now).
forgot to metion this is only with the flash drive
also forgot to mention that even though I played with the all the pertinent mouse sensitivity settings, it's slow, the wheel is like crawling, but that's not my main concern

njaydg wrote:

I could tweak Doomsday to hell and back

Was that on purpose? 😀

I just checked the console and it says it's not from gamemode 1. 😕

please help 🙁

How to become a hacker

Reply 39 of 42, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the big delay, very busy, between jobs, etc, etc...

general_vagueness wrote:

forgot to metion this is only with the flash drive

I usually don't play games on USB flash/pen drives. If I were you, I'd check that flash drive's integrity via some software available, or try with another pen. I do use DOSBox in my pen sometimes, when testing in a friend's PC, for instance. 😀

general_vagueness wrote:
njaydg wrote:

I could tweak Doomsday to hell and back

Was that on purpose? 😀

I did it without noticing 😁 , but it is indeed a lucky coincidence! 🤣

general_vagueness wrote:

I just checked the console and it says it's not from gamemode 1. 😕

please help 🙁

First of all, remember Doomsday is beta, and we all know what that means. Don't be surprised if something goes wrong at any given time without an apparently logic reason.

Still, if something isn't working, try reverting some change you made or reinstalling and start from scratch. That should help you overcome the problem...

You could also post a screenshot, but I'm not sure anyone here can help you. Maybe try posting it at the Doomsday forums?

Last edited by njaydg on 2007-11-16, 16:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 40 of 42, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been meaning to delete all the Doom files (from the USB stick) and copy them from the HDD again, been forgetting, will do tonight, thanks, comma, comma, comma.
I know about big delays.
Do you know ThinkGeek is hiring?

How to become a hacker

Reply 41 of 42, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
general_vagueness wrote:

Do you know ThinkGeek is hiring?

I don't consider myself a geek, and there are plenty of more tech savvy folks than me around here... Luckily I got a nice offer, so I can't complain.

Well, try troubleshooting that flash drive issue and let us know...

Reply 42 of 42, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I deleted all the Doom-related files and re-copied them (it's been bugging me lately about the integrity, but when I tell it to check it, it says there's nothing wrong) and it's still doing it (flicker, "not from gamemode 1").
I did something I didn't do before: I loaded another saved game and then tried to load my saved game and instead of the flicker-freeze it just paused for about a quarter of a second.

How to become a hacker