First post, by 9mmMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm new here.
I loaded Quake 1 last night on my XP platform with winquake running it,
but the graphics really suck.
I mean, I jump in the water for example and I see the individual squares that make up all the colors of the water, in other words the graphics are not smooth at all.
Is there a setting in the game that I need to adjust, or do I need to re-install the game a certain way? Thanks. 😀

Reply 2 of 20, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you'll want to try GLQUAKE (probably, you already have that executable).

DosFreak's suggestion is a greatly enhaced game engine for quake, but if you want "pure" quake, you must get used to really BIG dots.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 20, by 9mmMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. Right now I have winquake. I hope GLquake is better.
I know that there are really big dots and so forth, but I don't remember them being THIS bad.
I loaded the game with Compatibility mode w/ 256 colors.
Do you think that may be a problem also?

Reply 4 of 20, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can try a higher resolution:

Winquake.exe -width 1280 -height 1024

or

GLquake.exe -width 1280 -height 1024 -bpp 32

(or whatever max. resolution your monitor supports)

Reply 5 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a "vanilla" GLQuake port try FitzQuake. It implements the stuff GLQuake was missing (that fudged up quake's original appearance)

You could also play Quake nicely in DOSbox since there is no Quake port out there that emulates the oddities and traits of DOSQuake. But since you obviously want 'grate gfx' then Darkplaces is your best bet.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 20, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Tenebrae project seems to be dead, and there are various issues with the latest build. You'll also need one hell of a machine to run this port at a decent framerate. I'd recommend any other build instead of Tenebrae for actually playing the game, rather than looking at a nice dia show.

Reply 10 of 20, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

leileilol: i don't care who you think is a dick or not, and i'm pretty sure there are other users on this forum that are not interested in that kind of opinion, too - especially coming from you.

Reply 11 of 20, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that any opinion is acceptable, but after being explained. The author may be a dick, but I think you'll have to explain why.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 14 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

how is it not free ?

it bundles a large amount of modified Quake textures with it and it depends on them. This is a GPL violation. it also does not provide source for the modified progs.dat it supplies

ADDiCT wrote:

leileilol: i don't care who you think is a dick or not, and i'm pretty sure there are other users on this forum that are not interested in that kind of opinion, too - especially coming from you.

He intentionally breaks support for other quake modifications and TCs trying to play god over the community not really knowing how to make a proper independent function define. Emails to him about it ends up in a nice 'fuck you' reply because he doesn't really care.

Tenebrae sucks. It doesn't even have model interpolation or fullbright colors fixing, which almost every quake port has. It's just an ego stunt (and people are still waiting for "Tenebrae 2", ROFL. Just use Darkplaces)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 20, by SKUALT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi im new, sorry if i chage the way of the subject. but i need help.
i recently found my old shareware version of quake, when i tried to play by dosbox on xp in the finale step c:\>IDSTUFF>QSTAR.EXE i got the message "this program requieres microsoft wondows" and dosn´t launch the game its rare cos the reason im usin dosbox is to aboid windows . any help for this issue thanks

Reply 16 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox only runs DOS programs. You run Windows programs in Windows. You are trying to run a Windows program in DOSBox which is why you received the error message that you received.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 20, by SKUALT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok now i see thanks
i remember back in the nineties to use dos to open quake, well msdos (this detail may be it) , i had tryed to install it with windows without success but i ´ll check
thanks again for the info

Reply 19 of 20, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

tenebrae is free though 😳 I used it a while back and you can download it from there website just perfectly. You must have gone to some H4X0R3D website and got asked to pay for it 😉

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/downloads/Ten … braeInstall.exe

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website