VOGONS

First post, by andrewwan1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know the details of which ethernet frame types low-level networking VDMSound provides?

I definitely know it supports IPX frame type ethernet II, because I can play Blood and that uses ethernet II (found out using native LAN under XP).

To play DOS games under XP I have always used VDMSound w/ low-level networking, otherwise the game can't detect/see my IPX network card.

I use VDMSound on XP on a native LAN.. and couldn't get Syndicate Wars or C&C DOS to detect each other (under all frame types)... but Blood works only under Ethernet II.

So my assumption is, VDMSound doesn't pick up frame types ethernet 802.2/3, etc?

Does someone know VDMSound source code well? to confirm this assumption?

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to adjust that in your network properties.

VDMSound just emulates sound.

The "Low-level networking" option just disables the network redirector in Autoexec.NT (or your custom Autoexec) to free up more memory.

I could be wrong though. I haven't used VDMSound for about 4-5 years.....since a very obscure unknown DOS emulator that no one seems to know about (even today) came out.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look in c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt.

I believe the redirector just redirects local file and printer requests to the server. Likely nothing to do with IPX.

The command prompt in Windows relies on the IPX/SPX protocol that you have installed.

It's disabled because it takes up conventional memory in Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista and usually people don't need to access files/print to a server in a command prompt while they are playing games.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline