Common searches

the new adventures of the time machine

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 64, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dud716 What the &^%/????
Just kidding

Even if you weren't, that's the kind of thing that make PartitionMagic so useful. All you would have to do is convert the partition from FAT32 to NTFS.

When you say.... The smaller partition should be FAT32 and should be reserved for titles that are incompatible with NTFS and/or […]
Show full quote

When you say.... The smaller partition should be FAT32 and should be reserved for titles that are incompatible with NTFS and/or XP
....are you refering to......

D:---for non-XP Applications/Games *****(FAT32, about 2Gig)

Correct.

Can I adjust the cluster size,

With partition magic, yes.

...or is this something that results automatically due to the partition size?

There is a "default" value that is chosen. This may or may not be adjustable (usually, it is). It shows up in Partition Magic as an "Advanced" option. You can change the cluster size at any time, but doing it on an empty "just-formatted" partition will be much faster than a partition full of files.

Note that this can also be done on NTFS partitions starting with version 8, but I'm still not knowledgeable enough about NTFS to feel comfortable messing with it.

P.S. I know this is going to cost me big bucks, that is, if it works?!

I thought you already had "Partition Magic" and Win98. There's always BootItNG which is shareware, but I admit to being less "comfortable" with it than "Partition Magic" (even though it has some other nice tools).

You'll have to send me your address, so that I can send you some paper cheddar weasels. Remeber them??

Yes. I'm trying to forget actually. While they taste better than that napkin I ate or leaves from the shrub outside our home; I'd like to stick with actual food if I could. Having said that, the napkin was quite filling and not really bad for taste.

Reply 41 of 64, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought you already had "Partition Magic" and Win98.

You are correct, sir.

What I mean by 'costing me big bucks' is, I will have to make a sizeable donation to the FSN (Feed Sleepy Nicht) Foundation. 😀

Thanks for your time, Nicht.

Hopefully, there are other folks out there that are interested in setting up a dual/multi-boot configuration on their system. If all goes well, I may take you up on your suggestion to try a few DOS games, then I can bother you (and Colin) with some more silly questions.

Actually, I can't wait to try this. I'm interested in learning more about the inner workings of these things. And hey, what better way to find out than by sitting on the edge of your seat in anticipation waiting and hoping that everything will come out alright!!!

I'm still having problems with my Back-Up Now! software, but that's another story all together. I'm still playing with it, (among other things). When I get everything working properly, I'll get back to you with my results. For now, my liege,I'll leave you to your other'chores' here at VOGONS.

thanks again,
dud, the hapless geek wannabee

Last edited by dud716 on 2003-08-15, 19:26. Edited 1 time in total.

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 42 of 64, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dud716 wrote:
NOTE: I'm getting an error message that reads..... ISDX_ERR_BADWINDOWSVERSION...entry not found in […]
Show full quote

NOTE: I'm getting an error message that reads.....

ISDX_ERR_BADWINDOWSVERSION...entry not found in the string table.

.....any info? Thanks, dud

Back to the original problem:
When do you get this error? During the installation of the game? Or upon game start?

1. Try uninstalling the game and reinstalling the game in administrator mode.
2. Try using compatibility modes on all executables in the directory. Try using ones like Windows NT 4.0 Service pack 5 or Windows 98/ME or Windows 2000.

Otherwise, I believe that to try to solve the problem in XP Home, you would have to experiment with the Application Compatibility Toolkit, which is not for amateurs:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.as … &DisplayLang=en

Reply 43 of 64, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The more I read, the more I think the ACT will make this error go away. We just need someone with the game who is an ACT guru. (DOSFreak?)

See this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … kb;en-us;177430

So is this problem during installation? It might be trying to install an old version of DirectX...

However, there still might be problems later on.

Reply 44 of 64, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Schadenfreude,

The error message pops up at the end of the installation process. Don't misunderstand....the game is never actually installed, however, it does go through the installation cycle. Immediately at the end, (when the progress meter reaches 100%), is when the error message appears.

The message box states:ISDX_ERR_BADWINDOWSVERSION...entry not found in the string table.
If you click on OK....
another message box appears with the word:SEVERE.

Kind of scary, huh?

It does not make my system crash,...it just sends me back to the desktop. It does not appear in the programs menu,(nor anywhere else, for that matter), so I think it is safe to assume that the game never actually is installed.

NOTE....The game package states...Windows 98/95....there is no mention of WIN-XP compatibility, in the game booklet, or at DREAMCATCHER's site.

Go figure? Many DREAMCATCHER titles are compatible with WIN-XP, but...., some have to be played using an earlier compatibility mode, some require a patch to be installed, and some just don't work at all, regardless of whether or not the game will install.

Oh..., forget about tech support, they typically stand by the system requirements provided with the game. No use wasting time talking to them.

Meanwhile back at the dud ranch, I'm happily trying to back up all of my stuff, so's I can dive right in to installing a dual-boot on my 'puter. Thanks to Nicht, et al, I hope to accomplish this task in the near future. Hah, that is if I ever get the time!!!

thanks,
dud

P.S. I went to the link that you suggested:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … kb;en-us;177430

...(BADWINDOWSVERSION) DirectX cannot be run on this version of Windows. This version of Windows is either Windows 3.x or a version of Windows NT that does not support this version of DirectX. Please do not attempt to install DirectX except in these operating systems.....

You may be correct...the problem may lie in DirectX. However, I'm clueless as to how to correct it.

Last edited by dud716 on 2003-08-18, 12:43. Edited 1 time in total.

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 45 of 64, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht,....Tried the BIOS upgrade. Didn't work. had more @$#%ing problems with e-SUPPORT techies than I care to mention. What a bunch of a-holes!!! As for the dual-boot, I will have to put it on hold for now. I've had enough fun for a while. As for PARTITON MAGIC 8.0 working with drive compression (DDO, and such), it should work. Hah!!!! .....at least as far as PARTITION MAGIC is concerned.

I'm waiting on some info. I'll let you know.

NOTICE TO ALL VOGONS: e-SUPPORT blows major bung holes, their tech support is from hunger. I strongly suggest that they be avoided at all cost, both financially and mentally.

BEST BET: Upgrade to a new mobo and CPU. This should resolve the DDO issue.

Nicht, thanks for all of your help. For now, I'm holding on to what I've got!!! Dual-boot is on indefinite hold!!!

dud

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 46 of 64, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dud716 Nicht,....Tried the BIOS upgrade. Didn't work. had more @$#%ing problems with e-SUPPORT techies than I care to mention.

*shakes head*
Murphy's law in action. You plunked down that cash and got nothing for it. That's why I say sometimes you can't be afraid to migrate.

As for the dual-boot, I will have to put it on hold for now. I've had enough fun for a while.

Understood.

their tech support is from hunger. I strongly suggest that they be avoided at all cost, both financially and mentally.

*envisions angry Hungarians seeking vengeance against Dud*

BEST BET: Upgrade to a new mobo and CPU. This should resolve the DDO issue.

Just this weekend at Fry's Electronic's:

VIA P4PB 400 Mainboard
w/
533/400MHz Front Side Bus
Hyper-Threading Support for 3.06G and up Processors
1 AGP 8X/4X slot
5 PCI slots
Onboard IDE - 2 x ATA133/100 Connectors
Onboard Audio - VIA VT1616 6 Channel AC'97 CODEC
Onboard IEEE 1394 - VIA VT6306 IEEE 1394
2 USB 2.0/1.1 Connectors for 4 Additional Ports
RJ 45 100/10Mb LAN Port
Ability to flash the BIOS within Windows, etc...
+
2.4 GHz Celeron processor (Fan not included)
Price $70

Reply 48 of 64, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, Nicht, what's the shipping to PA? Just thought you may have felt sorry for me, and maybe picked up an extree one. Will you take a check?
😀

Who the hell is Fry's, anywho?

Colin, gesundheit!!

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 50 of 64, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ARRRGH! *kills himself*

*attends funeral*
*drops by Fry's on the way home*

Originally posted by dud716 So, Nicht, what's the shipping to PA? Just thought you may have felt sorry for me, and maybe picked up an extree one. Will you take a check?

Well, just so you know. Fry's is popular but also notorious. They do a lot of "loss-leader" sales, where they widely advertise something they actually sell at a loss (below what the store paid for it) in order to get you into the store, whereupon entry they try to foist as many other hi-profit items as possible.

Also, the "loss-leader" is usually part of a limited supply, so as to minimize the store's losses and increase the likelihood of a profitable item being sold (if you're in the store to buy a "loss-leader" video card, but they're out-of-stock, you're likely to settle for a video card with profit in it).

Also, they have recently begun what I call "sneaky sales". They used to have an ad on Friday that always lasted to Tuesday. Now, sometimes it lasts to Monday, sometimes to Sunday, sometimes just to Saturday. Also certain items in the ad will have an individual sale schedule (everything else may be on sale for three days...but that one item may be one-day only). So getting stuff from Fry's kinda has an Indiana Jones flavor to it...always something of an adventure.

Having said all that, if you know the product you want, and need no assistance from "sales associates" (paid minimum wage, I'm sure), you should be good to go. Besides, the sale is already over.

NOTE: I should mention that the local Fry's stores I've visited don't seem to "push" sales that hard. I think they realize that tends to push people away and risk the loss of a purchase.

Reply 51 of 64, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fry's is popular but also notorious. ......they have recently begun what I call "sneaky sales".

Sounds like something is definetly not right with FRY'S. They remind me of a merchant that I recently had some business dealings with.

...Reminds me of the old "lump-and-dump" scheme to me. What is their return policy? It might be wiser to deal with the big guys: COMPUSA or BEST BUYS.

Colin, anything to add?

Thanks,
dud

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 52 of 64, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dud716 Sounds like something is definetly not right with FRY'S. They remind me of a merchant that I recently had some business dealings with.
What is their return policy?

So long as you know the rules and know the product (and keep your receipts), you are good to go. I just treat it as a warehouse and it works fine that way. Still a more stable environment than First Saturday, but then again First Saturday is the ideal place to find an AWE64 ISA Sound Card. More representative images here.

Reply 53 of 64, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow!, Nicht. Looks like a gold mine for geeks! We really don't have anything like that here in PA. The closest thing is probably the MARKETPRO Computer Show and Sale that is held regularly in Fort Washington,PA.

Most of the sellers are vendors and garage-sale geeks, although occasionally you might see a brand name seller. Typically, you can find the latest cards, CPU's, and mainboards for considerably less than most retailers; most of the sellers are legit (full factory warranty, etc.).
I frequent the shows whenever they come around. If you're ever looking for some oddball stuff, drop me a line, maybe I can pick it up for you.

Thanks,
dud

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 54 of 64, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dud716 Wow!, Nicht. Looks like a gold mine for geeks!

That it is. Sometimes enthusiasm overrides logic. Like when I got a "Backpack" external CDROM drive. It allows for troubleshooting and maintenance of ancient PC's. Got it for . The downside, no power supply...and of course there were about a half-dozen power supply types. All would cost me at least another and the wrong one will probably fry the unit. So for the past year or so, it's just been a paperweight.

We really don't have anything like that here in PA. The closest thing is probably the MARKETPRO Computer Show and Sale that is held regularly in Fort Washington,PA.

All you really need is some space and people willing to show up (oh...and the co-operation of the city and it's police).

It used to be in an empty space under a highway overpass. Got bigger and was moved to a nearby pay-parking lot (besides, the police got tired of dealing with all the people illegally parking on every square inch of grass or other open space).

Most of the sellers are vendors and garage-sale geeks, although occasionally you might see a brand name seller. Typically, you can find the latest cards, CPU's, and mainboards for considerably less than most retailers; most of the sellers are legit (full factory warranty, etc.).

Sounds similar, but we have a lot more "as is" items. That where I found "LOOM" and "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe w/ bonus missions" CD's.

*sigh* I miss my LOOM.

BTW, did you notice the jammin man picture? Notice the carefully stacked video cards and the "string" of fans? *heh*
Those would be the "as is" items.

Reply 55 of 64, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Funny Stuff!!!, Nicht. I'm on vacation this week, dogsitting for my sinister. I figured this would give me time to paint my Jeep. (Yo, Colin, *205,000 miles*, and still running like a champ!!)

I haven't had much time to play with my 'puter, but I'm reading up on PARTITION MAGIC and IBM's instructions on using FDISK. Maybe I'll attempt another try at installing a multi-boot when I get home.

Just for laughs I brought the NEW ADVENTURES OF THE MACHINE with me, installed it on her old 300 Mhz., AMD K-6 (w/3D NOW!, 64 MB RAM!!...WIN 98-SE). The game plays fine, however, everything is done from the keyboard. Arrow-up, arrow-down, etc.... Shift- this, ALT-that.... What a trip. Halfway through the game, I forget what key does what!!!

The graphics and sound are impressive, to say the least, especially on such a "slow" machine. I'd have thunk it would've been a dog!!! Funny thing, though, realMYST won't play for crap!!!, and half of the newer games won't even install!!!

Funny things, them computers!!!
😁
dud

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 56 of 64, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dud716 I'm on vacation this week, dogsitting for my sinister.

*drum roll*
*cymbal clash*

A sound sample would've probably worked better here...

The graphics and sound are impressive, to say the least, especially on such a "slow" machine. I'd have thunk it would've been a dog!!!

Most games from Europe tend to have lower system requirements. They're not as "upgrade-crazy" as most US folks. That actually drove me crazy while I was in the U.K. Amiga owners in the U.K. didn't want to upgrade their hardware. I remember "Dungeon Master" came out and they were moaning that it needed a megabyte to run, stating that it "couldn't be run on an A500" when all they had to do was get the memory card and plug it in (*gah*)!

Funny thing, though, realMYST won't play for crap!!!

Not surprising at all, when it was released, realMYST was the closest thing to a "Virtual World" that could be run on a home computer. Even the best computers of that time had a hard time running it (I remember it being sluggish on an AMD 850 with a GeForce).

Reply 57 of 64, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nicht,

I ran the BELARC ADVISOR on my sinister's computer; here's what's inside:
300 megahertz AMD K6-2 w/3DNow!
64 Megabytes Installed Memory

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5A REV 1.XX
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. 4.51PG

MITSUMI CD-ROM FX320S !B
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Cirrus Logic 546X 1.70f [Display adapter]

c: (on drive 0) 6.47 GB 1.07 GB free
d: (on drive 1) 20.51 GB 20.50 GB free

Just thought you might be curious.😀

dud

Last edited by dud716 on 2003-09-10, 01:23. Edited 1 time in total.

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 59 of 64, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by dud716 Nicht,....take a look at this interesting site..

I know about Gibson's site. He was one of the first I had seen with a spyware-killer (opt-out, which is dead now) and pointed out a lot of the security holes in XP at the time of it's release.